Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Note 3 overheating

hi guys,

i just got my galaxy note 3, and i'm loving the phone. (i upgraded from my note 2)
    what i realize after a couple of days is, it starts to get warm (not hot to the point where it's unbearable or anything) really fast. i could just be serving the web a bit, chatting on whatsapp for a little bit, and then the area around the camera would start to get really warm.
    i use the phone in about the same manner i used my note 2, but i never noticed my note 2 warming up that fast...
    anyone experiencing the same thing? any advice?
    thanks in advance!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-23-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    najam999 likes this.

Default Re: galaxy note 3 overheating

Factory reset. Probably a rogue app eating up the CPU.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

My S4 had the same problem when I first got it but it's gone now. It stopped after I did a soft reset
    Thanked by:
    Joe Goh Jun Han likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

thanks man, i'll try it and see if it works

- - - Updated - - -

hope mine will be the same.
    sorry if i sound ignorant, but is a soft reset the same as a factory reset? or something else completely?
    Kenpachi likes this.

Soft reset is just restarting the phone. Factory reset wipes the phone back to how it shipped.

Pls let us know how things worked out for you Alex :-)

When you say overheat, how hot is it getting? My note 2 got to about 154F before.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy Note 3 overheating-uploadfromtaptalk1380593728430.jpg  

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Damn that is hot

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

ive gotten about 130's on my droid razr. hopefully the note 3 doesnt over heat like that.

Hi Alex,

Same issue here - just bought a Nt3 after my Nt2...

Overheats like hell... took it back to the vendor... gave me the usual BS about sending it to the local Service Center... they did a hard reset and uploaded some software fix (they said)... had it back for a day... same issue... a simple restart, haven't even touched it and in just 5-10 min starts heating up... also the UI gets sluggish, can't even get it to scroll through 'contacts'.

Have asked the Vendor for a replacement... and the same usual BS about 'getting the issue authenticated by the Service Center....', wish Samsung took care of their repeat customers like Apple.

Hopefully shall have a replacement unit tomorrow... shall post an update either ways...

Cheers!!!

hardlaugh
    Nfluencedaworld likes this.

I had the same problem and did the following tests, with the back cover off.

The source of the heat is the SD card slot.

Test cases
    (a) Reduced the number of files in my SD card. Heating still persists.
    (b) Removed the SD card. Heating is minimal, slightly noticeable with the back cover off. Not likely to be noticeable with the back cover on.
    (c) Changed the SD card to a different brand. Heating is slightly more obvious, but not as bad as the first test case. Not likely to be noticeable with the back cover on.

I am sticking to the second brand of SD card for the time being, so far so good but things may change when I put more files in. My first one was a Sandisk Ultra, which is well documented to have issues.
    Thanked by:
    msndrstood likes this.

My Note 3 overheated yesturday and I have no idea why? Then I placed it on my Samsung dock to charge overnight and when I woke this morning it stayed at 54% Wth? Two hours later Im at 11%! Whats going on? Would AT&T replace it with a new one? I just bought this last Thursday. (I also have a 64 gig SD card installed)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

Which brand/size SD card is causing the higher temps?

And I would imagine if you're losing a ton of battery life over 2 hours ATT should be able to replace it for you especially if it loses like 10% while talking to the rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergslayer69 View Post
    Which brand/size SD card is causing the higher temps?

And I would imagine if you're losing a ton of battery life over 2 hours ATT should be able to replace it for you especially if it loses like 10% while talking to the rep.
    Lol! I hope your right! We're going to take it back today so hopefully all goes smoothly. Not looking forward to setting it up all over again. :thumbdown:

I'm using the San Disk Ultra SD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by melcy View Post

Test cases
    (b) Removed the SD card. Heating is minimal, slightly noticeable with the back cover off. Not likely to be noticeable with the back cover on.
    (c) Changed the SD card to a different brand. Heating is slightly more obvious, but not as bad as the first test case. Not likely to be noticeable with the back cover on.

I am sticking to the second brand of SD card for the time being, so far so good but things may change when I put more files in. My first one was a Sandisk Ultra, which is well documented to have issues.
    I noticed the heat crank up on my mine last night when I put my SD card in it. Played with the phone for about a day and didn't have any issues with heat. After putting in the card I immediately noticed the heat on the back when it was booting up.

Hope all these reports are just a minority since I have a Sandisk 64 Ultra I plan on putting into the note 3 when I get mine.

i have the same issue. just bought my phone yesterday and it was all fine until i put my sd card today and it heated up immediately.
    my sd card had a folder that had lot of files (around 3000 ) . I deleted this folder and realized that the phone has cooled down a bit but i can still feel the warmth at rear camera portion. This same sd card had no problems with my old note 2.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I had the same issue when I put my SD card in. I believe the phone was doing a media scan. After about 15 minutes it was fine and hasn't didn't it since then. I have an old 16 GB Sand disk card that came with my OG Tab that has a ton of pictures on it.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by melcy View Post

Test cases

Hi .. I am having the same issue .. I have tested a number of times .. It only happens with the SD card on .. My SD card is also Sandisk Ultra .. why did you say it has well documented issues? I have been using it with Galaxy S3 and I am really happy with it .. No overheating or anything problem .. Could you tell me if you sort out the issue with the second SD card? If yes, could you tell me the brand and model of the SD card? Thanks ..

any users of samsung sd card that experiencing heating up?

Quote Originally Posted by emiinn View Post
    any users of samsung sd card that experiencing heating up?
    Not anymore. It was weird I had tried using Screen Mirroring with my Smart TV and I noticed my phone was HOT. Even the next day my battery drained so quick. All I did was restart my phone. Have had no problems ever since and I have my Sandisk Ultra 64 gb installed. Wonder whats going on......

has anyone tried to use the s pen continuously and realized that it heats up the phone ?
    I installed the battery widget and had been noticing that the phone temperature going up when you use the s-pen

Exclamation Re: galaxy note 3 overheating

I have overheating as well.
    First I noticed when checking it at Bestbuy.. I didn't like how hot the phone got while I used it.
    I just had mine from ATT for a day and last night I noticed heating a lot while I was installing few apps.
    I had put in my 64 GB sandisk ultra that was working great in my Note 2 and never felt hot, barely got warm.
    Today I was listening to mp3 music off the memory card and noticed the phone got unbearably HOT and battery drain was around 50% in less than 2 hours.

I don't think this can be fixed in SW. maybe they can lower the cpu frequency or fix a driver.. but the fact that NOTE 3 HW gets super hot is a defect in design and quality.

I am going to replace it and more likely skip NOTE 3 all together. Not impressed

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Lam View Post
    hi guys,

i just got my galaxy note 3, and i'm loving the phone. (i upgraded from my note 2)
    what i realize after a couple of days is, it starts to get warm (not hot to the point where it's unbearable or anything) really fast. i could just be serving the web a bit, chatting on whatsapp for a little bit, and then the area around the camera would start to get really warm.
    i use the phone in about the same manner i used my note 2, but i never noticed my note 2 warming up that fast...
    anyone experiencing the same thing? any advice?
    thanks in advance!
    I had same problem but figured it out...if you have samsung knox installed I can guarantee that is your issue...its a little tricky to uninstall...you cant do it through settings..you actually have to open the app in your appdrawer and uninstall from there...I never got an overheat issue on the note 3 after...I checked the ram kernel and samsung knox was killing the phone and running in the background even if you arent in knox mode..hope this helps it fixed my issue

With sdcard concerns; I installed a large amount 30gb to card with cable and had indexing process eating up battery and heating up phone. I pulled card, formatted and started over. This time I installed all files with sd reader on computer. Reinstalled card and haven't had any problems since. Check your battery stats and see if file indexing is your culprit. If so, pull card and start over without using cable. Might work for some.

ATT Note 3
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast