Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Feel of the black versions back and disassembly of Note 3 (Video)

Ok so this guy is kinda nuts, it's an unboxing video for both of his Note 3s which arrived at the same time. One is the Snapdragon 800 version, the other is the Octacore.

Anyways, I have been watching a lot of videos, many of them unboxings, and most of them had the white version. People mentioning the feel of the back cover all said that it doesn't feel leathery, but instead just feels like textured plastic.

Well this dude harps on about how the black feels like leather. It's about 6 minutes into the video since he spends a good amount of time playing with his knife and slicing boxes open.

Just based on this video, I glad I got the black version, however, as mentioned in other posts in the forum, I just don't quite understand why the different color versions also feel different.

If you look through his channel, you'll see the next video....where he takes one of the phones that he's owned for less than 2 hours apart and voids the warranty. He does put it back together though.

Default Re: Feel of the black versions back and disassembly of Note 3 (Video)

I felt both black and white back covers and yes, the black back cover has a "softer" rubber feel. I pre-order the white one before I felt them and might have to trade it in for the black one. Then again it's just the feel of it not the look....I like the white over the black. LOL...what to do!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Just based on this video, I glad I got the black version, however, as mentioned in other posts in the forum, I just don't quite understand why the different color versions also feel different.
    The black cover is more of a mat black and the white one is kinda glossy.

Quote Originally Posted by UsedName View Post
    I felt both black and white back covers and yes, the black back cover has a "softer" rubber feel. I pre-order the white one before I felt them and might have to trade it in for the black one. Then again it's just the feel of it not the look....I like the white over the black. LOL...what to do!?!?

The black cover is more of a mat black and the white one is kinda glossy.
    Did you close your eyes and feel both of them? That the only non-biases way. Thought if what your saying is true, I might have to get the black one.

I played around with the white one at the At&t store and it feels like plastic. Not way around it....just hard textured plastic. No rubbery feels at all. When you tap on it...it makes a plasticy sound. Maybe because it's the demo unit? (Wishful thinking)

Purchase a white one and put on the black back...

Posted via Android Central App

Played with a white demo at the AT & T store yesterday and was surprised the back was so hard - best analogy is that the cover surface has the texture and feel of a baseball - not at all what I was expecting and I can not imagine the black cover would really be fabricated any differently - otherwise the Samsung industry leading marketing machine would be advertising the difference for maximum product differentiation. Having said that it is steps ahead of the gloss plastic of Note 2, the fabricated stiching looks nice, and I think the change gains better device in the hand security and moves the brand to the next iteration of back covers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nguyen2 View Post
    Did you close your eyes and feel both of them? That the only non-biases way. Thought if what your saying is true, I might have to get the black one.
    No need to close my eyes when touching both at the same time or any time. Both had a different feel and the black cover has a "soft" feel. I'm getting the white version but planning to get a case or the new flip cover for it so it won't matter after that.
    In the pic you can see that the White cover has a gloss to it.....I didnt get to take a picture of the Black cover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feel of the black versions back and disassembly of Note 3 (Video)-20130929_214809.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonsaurus View Post
    Purchase a white one and put on the black back...

Posted via Android Central App
    Can you do that? Have the best of both world?

ROM
    Stock Note 2

Does it really matter if your going to put a case on it anyway .... & like Tyson said, put a black cover on the back! If they put the same coating on the white one, it would be so dirty after only one day .... some of you in about 5 minutes .... LOL!

Cheers, Jon
    Have Note 2 & ordered Verizon 32gb/64gb Note 3 in white

Quote Originally Posted by GtoJon View Post
    Does it really matter if your going to put a case on it anyway .... & like Tyson said, put a black cover on the back! If they put the same coating on the white one, it would be so dirty after only one day .... some of you in about 5 minutes .... LOL!

Cheers, Jon
    Maybe a front facing case but I'm not a huge case guy. I didn't have a case for my Iphone 3gs or my various Ipod Touch model.

I have held and studied in a T Mobile store, side by side.....at length .....a white demo and a black demo .....I can feel no differences in the backs between the two - both hard.

I can't bring myself to get another black phone.....and the black unit with a white back would look odd IMHO.....however a white front and a black back cover ...that might be the best

The Black version has the soft touch coating on it, while the White version does not have any soft touch coating.