Note 3 signal reception?

needbars

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So I've been looking to upgrade to the note 3.
But since I live where there's a very low signal, I would like to find out how's the phone reception compared to Iphone's?
Typically I get no bars in the house on my old HTC desire HD, but the wife and daughter on there Iphone's (4s) get 2 bars on the same network.
I heard that the Samsung galaxy S4 isn't to good at getting reception which worries me for the note 3.

Any one did some back to back tests against Iphone's signal yet?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No one knows for sure but for comparisons sake the S3 had a weak cellular signal and so did the S4. However, the Note II had excellent signal and right on par with Motorola. If I had to guess I'd say the Note 3 will be just as good as the Note II.

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh good lord. I'm still using a GNex on Verizon. I can sit and daydream about getting a decent signal at work. (no wifi available either) It can't be as bad as the Nexus.

As soon as I step outside, I get blazing full bars of 4G. I'm behind one cinder block wall (no windows) and I'll OCCASIONALLY get 1 or 0 bars of 4G. If I look at the phone, or, god forbid, touch it, ZAP! Down to 1 bar of 3G, if I'm lucky.

Work with me Samsung. I love just about everything about this phone. If it's also going to have a weak antennae, I may take it back... (It's humiliating when my wife's iPhone 4S is the only phone with service in certain spots.)

mjohnjanz

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
There is a post by bonerp on the androidforums site that states the following problems with his Note 3:

"Weak reception - worse that N2 in a side by side test. Both phone and particularly internet. I was on H on the N2 now on just G with little internet and poor call quality.
Speaker is so in the wrong place! When holding the N3 in landscape mode, thumb rests on the speaker!
Jerky when using Gallery viewing/scrolling through camera pictures".

I read another post where the Note 3 could not get reception and an Iphone right next to it had zero problems.

I am a long time Iphone user who is planning to purchase the Note 3 Friday at the ATT store (I have already purchased my 64 Gig Card and screen protectors, and have the case on order). But this has me worried. Poor reception on a Cell phone is a deal breaker for me. Not sure yet what to do, but I will probably hold off until I see some user reviews from USA before I jump ship from Apple.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Using bars to gauge signal strength is pointless as there isn't a universal standard. When the Galaxy Nexus came out there was a huge to do about the bars and they actually released an update that added an additional visual bar, but no actual additional signal strength. A better indicator is to go into phone settings, about phone, status and look at the dBM and ASU numbers. Then compare to another phone.

Posted via Android Central App

needbars

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Using bars to gauge signal strength is pointless as there isn't a universal standard. When the Galaxy Nexus came out there was a huge to do about the bars and they actually released an update that added an additional visual bar, but no actual additional signal strength. A better indicator is to go into phone settings, about phone, status and look at the dBM and ASU numbers. Then compare to another phone.

All I know is when I get bars on my signal meter I can make calls and when I don't I can't! So, what ever they mean, I need!
So far, not looking good for my purchase...:(

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So the phone has a worse antenna? So glad I didn't wait for a Note 3 if this is true.

On a side note those who talk signal strength comparisons need to look at the dBm numbers. That means a lot more than a random bar which isn't consistent at all.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Tysonsaurus

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

This is the first thing I plan on doing when I get in the Verizon store on release day.

mjohnjanz

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
That's down to the carrier..

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

What's down to the carrier?
The comments I have read regarding this issue use the same carrier in the exact same location, and the Note 3 is either unable to get a signal or it is very weak with very poor reception, while the Iphone has zero problems. That has nothing to do with bars or carrier. It has to do with the phones ability to receive a signal (reception).

I really want this phone, but if the reception is not on par with a top tier product, I will pass. This would be (or would have been) my first Android phone. I was really looking forward to it.

If this turns out to be accurate, shame on Samsung. How hard is it to install a high quality antenna etc and ensure your signature phone gets very good reception?

Beantown Bashers

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I hope these are isolated events.......

What's down to the carrier?
The comments I have read regarding this issue use the same carrier in the exact same location, and the Note 3 is either unable to get a signal or it is very weak with very poor reception, while the Iphone has zero problems. That has nothing to do with bars or carrier. It has to do with the phones ability to receive a signal (reception).

Did you read that on another forum?? You are right poor reception is poor reception. Add poor signal from a carrier and you have a worthless paper weight.

Typically I get no bars in the house on my old HTC desire HD, but the wife and daughter on there Iphone's (4s) get 2 bars on the same network.
I heard that the Samsung galaxy S4 isn't to good at getting reception which worries me for the note 3.

I read another post where the Note 3 could not get reception and an Iphone right next to it had zero problems.

Did they have phone on the same network??

dagold99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been frustrated being on sprint and was planning on purchasing the Note 3 on either att or verizon because I wanted a better internet connection. But if the note antenna is not very good than I will have to figure something else out. What a shame!

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
It's too early to say if it's good, average or poor. We need some data points over a little time first. The reviews have not noted problems.

The manual notes that the lower fourth of the phone is the antenna and you should not grip it there for best reception.

But the LTE antenna is by the volume rocker so grip could still be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC