Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3 signal reception?

So I've been looking to upgrade to the note 3.
    But since I live where there's a very low signal, I would like to find out how's the phone reception compared to Iphone's?
    Typically I get no bars in the house on my old HTC desire HD, but the wife and daughter on there Iphone's (4s) get 2 bars on the same network.
    I heard that the Samsung galaxy S4 isn't to good at getting reception which worries me for the note 3.

Any one did some back to back tests against Iphone's signal yet?

Default Re: Note 3 signal reception?

No one knows for sure but for comparisons sake the S3 had a weak cellular signal and so did the S4. However, the Note II had excellent signal and right on par with Motorola. If I had to guess I'd say the Note 3 will be just as good as the Note II.

I heard it was bad

Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoteTheDate View Post
    I heard it was bad
    Objection, hearsay

Oh good lord. I'm still using a GNex on Verizon. I can sit and daydream about getting a decent signal at work. (no wifi available either) It can't be as bad as the Nexus.

As soon as I step outside, I get blazing full bars of 4G. I'm behind one cinder block wall (no windows) and I'll OCCASIONALLY get 1 or 0 bars of 4G. If I look at the phone, or, god forbid, touch it, ZAP! Down to 1 bar of 3G, if I'm lucky.

Work with me Samsung. I love just about everything about this phone. If it's also going to have a weak antennae, I may take it back... (It's humiliating when my wife's iPhone 4S is the only phone with service in certain spots.)

There is a post by bonerp on the androidforums site that states the following problems with his Note 3:

"Weak reception - worse that N2 in a side by side test. Both phone and particularly internet. I was on H on the N2 now on just G with little internet and poor call quality.
    Speaker is so in the wrong place! When holding the N3 in landscape mode, thumb rests on the speaker!
    Jerky when using Gallery viewing/scrolling through camera pictures".

I read another post where the Note 3 could not get reception and an Iphone right next to it had zero problems.

I am a long time Iphone user who is planning to purchase the Note 3 Friday at the ATT store (I have already purchased my 64 Gig Card and screen protectors, and have the case on order). But this has me worried. Poor reception on a Cell phone is a deal breaker for me. Not sure yet what to do, but I will probably hold off until I see some user reviews from USA before I jump ship from Apple.

Using bars to gauge signal strength is pointless as there isn't a universal standard. When the Galaxy Nexus came out there was a huge to do about the bars and they actually released an update that added an additional visual bar, but no actual additional signal strength. A better indicator is to go into phone settings, about phone, status and look at the dBM and ASU numbers. Then compare to another phone.

Posted via Android Central App

God I hope it doesn't I had the galaxy nexus and that's the reason I left Samsung for Motorola.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by blazin247 View Post
    Using bars to gauge signal strength is pointless as there isn't a universal standard. When the Galaxy Nexus came out there was a huge to do about the bars and they actually released an update that added an additional visual bar, but no actual additional signal strength. A better indicator is to go into phone settings, about phone, status and look at the dBM and ASU numbers. Then compare to another phone.

All I know is when I get bars on my signal meter I can make calls and when I don't I can't! So, what ever they mean, I need!
    So far, not looking good for my purchase...

So the phone has a worse antenna? So glad I didn't wait for a Note 3 if this is true.

On a side note those who talk signal strength comparisons need to look at the dBm numbers. That means a lot more than a random bar which isn't consistent at all.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by blazin247 View Post

This is the first thing I plan on doing when I get in the Verizon store on release day.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Read the anadtech review, je goes into some good detail. He had no complaints about reception.

Thanked by:
    GeneD 
    kca2000 likes this.

That's down to the carrier..

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    Owner of- Galaxy Note 3- Galaxy Note Pro 12.2- Galaxy note 8.0- Galaxy Gear

Quote Originally Posted by thegame161 View Post
    That's down to the carrier..

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    What's down to the carrier?
    The comments I have read regarding this issue use the same carrier in the exact same location, and the Note 3 is either unable to get a signal or it is very weak with very poor reception, while the Iphone has zero problems. That has nothing to do with bars or carrier. It has to do with the phones ability to receive a signal (reception).

I really want this phone, but if the reception is not on par with a top tier product, I will pass. This would be (or would have been) my first Android phone. I was really looking forward to it.

If this turns out to be accurate, shame on Samsung. How hard is it to install a high quality antenna etc and ensure your signature phone gets very good reception?

I hope these are isolated events.......

Quote Originally Posted by mjohnjanz View Post
    What's down to the carrier?
    The comments I have read regarding this issue use the same carrier in the exact same location, and the Note 3 is either unable to get a signal or it is very weak with very poor reception, while the Iphone has zero problems. That has nothing to do with bars or carrier. It has to do with the phones ability to receive a signal (reception).
    Did you read that on another forum?? You are right poor reception is poor reception. Add poor signal from a carrier and you have a worthless paper weight.

Quote Originally Posted by needbars View Post
    Typically I get no bars in the house on my old HTC desire HD, but the wife and daughter on there Iphone's (4s) get 2 bars on the same network.
    I heard that the Samsung galaxy S4 isn't to good at getting reception which worries me for the note 3.

Quote Originally Posted by mjohnjanz View Post
    I read another post where the Note 3 could not get reception and an Iphone right next to it had zero problems.
    Did they have phone on the same network??

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts

I have been frustrated being on sprint and was planning on purchasing the Note 3 on either att or verizon because I wanted a better internet connection. But if the note antenna is not very good than I will have to figure something else out. What a shame!

It's too early to say if it's good, average or poor. We need some data points over a little time first. The reviews have not noted problems.

The manual notes that the lower fourth of the phone is the antenna and you should not grip it there for best reception.

But the LTE antenna is by the volume rocker so grip could still be a problem.
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Beantown Bashers View Post
    Did they have phone on the same network??
    Yes, all 3 phones are on the same network.
    Only able to use the Iphones, I can use mine as long as I make the call from my car's cell phone booster.(bummer)

Quote Originally Posted by needbars View Post
    Yes, all 3 phones are on the same network.
    Only able to use the Iphones, I can use mine as long as I make the call from my car's cell phone booster.(bummer)

I am a Samsung fan, but unfortunately ... Note 3 is even worse than Note 2 regarding signal strength.

I for one would love to hear from more users on this forum as far as the signal strength compared to their previous phone. I currently have a HTC inspire (att). I am lucky to have 1 bar (sometimes no bars at all) at my house, while my husband has an Motorola Attrix and gets 3 bars. I wanted to just buy it at the att store and try it to see if it works (I don't want an expensive paper weight) but I was informed that if I tired to return it I may get charged a restocking fee.

Not quite sure how all these people have gone from an S4 to a N3 or N2 to a N3 or any other upgrade and not a single person has a Db comparison.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    Not quite sure how all these people have gone from an S4 to a N3 or N2 to a N3 or any other upgrade and not a single person has a Db comparison.
    OK, I went from a Note 2 to a Note 3 today, and one of the first things I installed was Sensorly. While initially setting the phone up and installing a few apps here and there, it seemed to run into a few problems, coming up with messages like "sim was locked due to problems, restart your phone or call customer service". It also had an issue doing the first update Sprint pushed out to this phone, telling me it failed on the first try, but when I checked manually, it found and installed it just fine. Various times it lost connection all together and switched back to 3G. During this time I looked at the RSRP Sensorly cranked out and it started at -110 and kept moving all the way to -114. On Sprint, -107 is considered a good connection. My Note 2 was usually right around 107 to 109, hitting 110 once in a while, sometimes making as far down (actually, up, since these are negative number meaning that the higher the numerical value behind the minus sign, the worse the signal) as 104. After some more playing around, I turned wifi back off (had to take it off to be able to install more apps) and measured again. This time around the Note 3 was at -104 and pretty much stayed there.

I think most phones have to get used to their environment when new, and things usually improve after a while. I haven't done any PRL or network updates yet, but so far it seems on par with the Note 2. My first 2 phone calls were to Best Buy and Sprint, and they both sounded fine, especially the Sprint one since I talked to a person state side, not someone in the Philippines, India, or any other Asian country that enjoys outsourcing benefits.

I go into a wear house every morning and I have always lost both phone and data signal with my evo lte and my note 2 as soon as I entered.. I was quite surprised when I walked in this morning and I had good signal on both phone and data.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    love my evo.
    Thanked by:
    cencom14 likes this.

where i work at, not many people that have verizon have signal in here. it totally sucks testies. sprint, att, tmobile work fine. but big red does not. im not used to that, cus every where i been, ive always had signal. only at work and at a university i went to, did not have good signal, and i've had moto phones. and those are to have the best signals, with dual antennas and stuff.so hopefully the note 3 works better at work.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast