Using dBM and ASU numbers to check signal strength

mjohnjanz

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
After reading a few comments regarding the weak reception signal on the Note 3, I would like to compare it to the Iphone and see the real difference in the same location on the same service. I am planning to purchase the Note 3 tomorrow, but will not if it has poor reception.

I read an earlier post that stated the best way to compare signal strengths between phones is by checking the dBM and ASU numbers. He stated to access this info, go to Settings; About Phones; Status; and look at the dBM and ASU numbers.
Does anyone know how to get this info on an Iphone? I have tried and can't find it.

I would like to compare these numbers in the ATT corporate store and see the difference between phones before I buy tomorrow.

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
correct me if I am wrong but all you will see is the signal strength at that store not an indication of how well it performs, comparing two phones should produce somewhat of a way to see if one is better than the other but it appears they all don't use the same calibrations to measure. CDMA vs GSM in particular and also different mfg seem to interpolate numbers different also. Comparing my wfes maxx to my gn2 side by side showed difference widely varying and were not an indication of which one picked up better than the other as far as getting on the internet at those times. Hopefully someone more versed has a better way to check reception strength but I fear that is a measure they meaning all mfg don't want the consumer to have.

mjohnjanz

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks dkeven. I appreciate your response. I know BARS are not a good way to compare signal strength, and I know some phones have great signal strength and others are very weak. Currently my wifes phone (Iphone 4s) has incredibly good signal strength in areas where I can not get a signal (same carrier, same location, totally different results). I never want to go through this again, and want to do everything in my power to prevent purchasing a phone with weak reception. I have also compare the Iphone 5 and 5's signal strength to my phone and they are just like my wifes, very very good.

I really want the Note 3 but the comments regarding weak reception have me very concerned.