Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Raptor007
  • 1 Post By Raptor007
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any Galaxy Gear owner worried about scratching the screen?

I have a nice big'ol scratch on my Pebble. When I think about it, I am more likely to bang my watch on something than drop or bang my phone into something.

Looks like Amazon has some Skinomi's for the GG.

Skinomi TechSkin - Samsung Galaxy Gear Screen Protector Ultra Clear Shield + Full Body Protective Skin + Lifetime Warranty: Watches: Amazon.com

Default Re: Any Galaxy Gear owner worried about scratching the screen?

I have thought about this. It can and most likely will happen to owners. Might want to look up Ghost Armor. They make protectors that honestly cannot be seen when on. Best screen protector IMO

Samsung has stated you should NOT put a screen protector on the Galaxy Gear at all, it will inhibit the sensors and that wouldn't be good. Plus it does have a saphire crystal which are pretty darn strong and are very scratch resistant. All of my watches use that material and so far I have yet to damage any of them.
    Galaxy S6 Edge Black Sapphire 128GB; iPad Air 2 128GB; MacBook Pro 15" Retina; iPhone 4S (work phone); AppleTV; Airport Extreme, (waiting on) ZenFone 2 4GB w/ 64GB ROM
    Thanked by:
    gdmin and Rafael Lanzetti like this.

I'm not use to wearing a watch... haven't had one since I bought a Swatch in 1989.... maybe 1990, so I can tell you... I've bumped the face against a lot of things today. The first time I almost pooped myself. By the 5th time... and against my counter tops in my kitchen... I realized I'm going to have to scratch it with a diamond to see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AldousSnow View Post
    I'm not use to wearing a watch... haven't had one since I bought a Swatch in 1989.... maybe 1990, so I can tell you... I've bumped the face against a lot of things today. The first time I almost pooped myself. By the 5th time... and against my counter tops in my kitchen... I realized I'm going to have to scratch it with a diamond to see anything.
    The sapphire glass screen can take a lot.

As a long time watch wearer, just be aware of your "bubble". You'll eventually get used to it and take precautionary measures to protect your watch out of habit.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by MaTtKs1 View Post
    The sapphire glass screen can take a lot.

As a long time watch wearer, just be aware of your "bubble". You'll eventually get used to it and take precautionary measures to protect your watch out of habit.

Im almost positive the Gear does not have a sapphire crystal, the owners manual states that it is made of glass or acrylic in fact.

A little worried but I think I will be ok

Tappin From My N3

I am getting a screen protector... Its a 300 watch, after price matching Sams Club for 288.00 at Bestbuy the watch will be more than my phone. Samsung said you shouldn't you a screen protector on Note 2. I used once since day 1 and never had an issue with the screen or when using the Spen

Sent from my Amazing Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by rclifton View Post
    Im almost positive the Gear does not have a sapphire crystal, the owners manual states that it is made of glass or acrylic in fact.
    Most initial reviews I read specifically mention the resilient sapphire glass display.

Quote Originally Posted by MaTtKs1 View Post
    Most initial reviews I read specifically mention the resilient sapphire glass display.

I haven't read any actual reviews that say it has a sapphire crystal covering the screen, I read a number of pre-release articles that say it did, but those same articles also said it was water proof etc. As I said the manual that comes with the Gear specifically says the screen is Glass/Acrylic and to avoid dropping it because of damage. Additionally, I see no mention of it on Samsung's website when viewing the Gear's specs. Don't get me wrong, I would love for someone to confirm it indeed does have it as I would worry less.

Quote Originally Posted by rclifton View Post
    I haven't read any actual reviews that say it has a sapphire crystal covering the screen, I read a number of pre-release articles that say it did, but those same articles also said it was water proof etc. As I said the manual that comes with the Gear specifically says the screen is Glass/Acrylic and to avoid dropping it because of damage. Additionally, I see no mention of it on Samsung's website when viewing the Gear's specs. Don't get me wrong, I would love for someone to confirm it indeed does have it as I would worry less.
    Fair enough. I just did a quick search for "galaxy gear sapphire" and saw it mentioned in reviews. Looks like that changed or they were wrong.

I may invest in a screen protector then. I opted for the 2 year protection from Best Buy as well. Couldn't pass that up for $40.

According to the Android Central review here Hands-on with the Samsung Galaxy Gear | Android Central it does in fact say Sapphire Glass, not sure IF that is the same as a Sapphire Crystal, BUT, if the phones over at Omage TrueSmart can afford to get Sapphire Crystal for their SmartWatch I think Samsung can easily afford it on their purchasing levels.
    Galaxy S6 Edge Black Sapphire 128GB; iPad Air 2 128GB; MacBook Pro 15" Retina; iPhone 4S (work phone); AppleTV; Airport Extreme, (waiting on) ZenFone 2 4GB w/ 64GB ROM
    MaTtKs1 likes this.

my question is, is the screen scratch resistant or not???

???

Quote Originally Posted by Max Atienza View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Atienza View Post
    Like a guy falling off a 20 story building. At each floor he passed, somebody asked him "how you doing".. the falling guy replied "so far, good"

I got three screen protectors for my month old Gear.. I haven't bothered to put any of them on yet..Plus, I have had bumps, scrapes and knocks to the watch.. So far, good..

I have tried several protectors and all of them get dust under them in a few days. I am choosing to go without now.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    love my evo.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

The only thing I'd consider is a privacy screen, but there aren't any out there so far. Other than that, it's taken a few bumps and scrapes. So far no damage. Besides, I paid 40 for the BB protection plan so I'm a little more casual with the watch now

Its not scratch resistant. Ive just touched it by mistake on my wall and there are two huge scratches at the screen now. Very disappointed.

I have been without a screen protector for a while now. I work in a harsh environment and have bumped watch several times and still no scratches.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    love my evo.

Best buy sells a screen protector for the gear!

I've been using the ArmorSuit Military Shield from Amazon for my Gear. Some dust collected on the edges but that was a minor annoyance compared to dealing with a scratched up watch.

Within 2 weeks my galaxy gear had more scratches then you could imagine!
    Unless you live like a princess, you will scratch yours. You will also regret that scratch everytime you glance at your wrist.
    Get a protector for it, or only where it occasionally.

Mine scratched-here's what I did-buy a cheap protector-use as a template on whatever make u like on ur phone and there u go-I like the tech 21 screen protector and by the way, crystalusion does not protect from scratches-also saw privacy protectors for gear on Amazon