Note 3: Screen going dim due to overheating at max brightness?

cigar_butz

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Screen going dim due to overheating at max brightness?

it has some adaptive settings, and power saving settings, which will change brightness automatically depends on the content being displayed.

I have adaptive OFF, I have all power OFF, Autodim OFF, I have Knox OFF. What I have found over the past 2 weeks is that it ONLY dims when running S Note and using the pen! Handset is COLD so its not heating issue. Repeatable as well. Soon after I pull the pen, screen dims down a notch. Shutdown S Note and pull it out of memory (Clean Master) and it goes back to stable brightness.

jenzfc

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

Oh thank god I am not the only one. When I mostly notice this is when I play PvsZ2. It's really annoying. I already did the screen thing, and I don't have Knox because Verizon is my carrier. What else can I do? This sucks.

Posted via Android Central App

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

I had my note 3 on power saver mode at 40% brightness and I noticed my screen dimmed alittle when my battery hit 59% I thought it was weird cause the current power saving screen setting was doing pretty good and I thought that tiny dim was unnecessary because it just made me turn it up to 50%.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

This is still happening to me. If the overheating was a true cause I would appreciate the feature, but it seems to happen moments after using the device. Hopefully this can be fixed in a software update.

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Is this a bug perhaps?
Are all note 3 users experiencing this or is this a factory defect?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4

pumiklos

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

First, sorry for my English. I'm hungarian.
I found solution for my Galaxy S4 I9500 display not to dim anymore.
I think the Note 3 dim problem is rooting from the same issue like on S4.
I think dimming issues appear when battery is going hot by intensive CPU activity. So, I proceeded to make CPU profiles depending of battery heat conditions.
I rooted my device and installed ROM Toolbox PRO. Here at performance button I created an CPU profile which reduces max. CPU frequency depending of battery temperature. So, when battery reaches 32 grade Celsius (tested a lot by me) the CPU profile presetted reduces max. CPU frequency at only 400 MHz.
No dim anymore.
If I set this profile to activate at 40 grade Celsius then screen is still dimming.
Then you set another CPU profile where the CPU returns working at its maximum range of performance ( at S4 I9500 is 250 - 1600) if the battery temperature lowers than 32 grade Celsius.
Attention!
Be careful to set first CPU profile at highest priority than the second. This can be adjusted in every CPU profile you made before.
Also be sure that you checked "Use profiles" at Cpu profiles tab.
Hope I gived help all of you who are suffering from this annoying issue.

pumiklos

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

I come at complementary at what I described at my first part.
So, I made an third CPU profile to my device. And this profile I put to the highest priority. When CPU reach at 38 grade Celsius then max. CPU frequency is set to only 300 MHz.

Joelye Ann

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

Hi, im having the same issue too...

I have this Samsung Galaxy S II (AT&T MODEL)
My phone is cool too.. It never hanged up. It has 2GB RAM... cool isnt it?
But my problem here is the DIMMED Screen... my head aches sometimes ... pls can anybody help me too?? =)

prashanth1703

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
HI, recently bought note 3 its nice phone, but thing is its getting little bit heating while charging and browsing. this problem facing only after upgraded to kitkat. please anyone help on this.

thanks in advance ☺

cwazymang

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't necessarily think it's a problem.. fix ur timeout settings... go to setting for the lock screen timeout and put it to lock when power button is pressed and go to display settings and put to 1 minute 2 minute or whatever preferred just did that and fixed my problem... hope I made sense and helped u guys 😊

Alfred De Leon

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Seeing a lot of reports of the Note 3 auto-dimming the screen even with auto-brightness turned off and max brightness selected? I'm curious if this is just a couple of strange instances or a widespread problem. It might be a deal breaker for me since I usually run at max brightness on AMOLED screens.

Burn in could happen but the display would have to be on for long periods of time. Such as using the feature to keep the phone "awake". I found that if you uncheck the adapt display in the screen mode option in settings, this seemed to fix it. As far as an overheating issue. The phone does get hot, I'm sure there is a function that will save the device from damage but to say the display can cause this... I don't think so. If you leave it in a hot car or in a hot car charging, it may shutdown to a minimum to save the phone from damage but no display on a phone will get that hot to make it dim.

J_galaxy24

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
i been having this issue too after updating to kitkat. i keep the screen around 50-60% brightness and i notice if its on for 30 secs it dims and i have to either turn screen off or hit the brightness control bar.

Server5

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Burn in could happen but the display would have to be on for long periods of time. Such as using the feature to keep the phone "awake". I found that if you uncheck the adapt display in the screen mode option in settings, this seemed to fix it. As far as an overheating issue. The phone does get hot, I'm sure there is a function that will save the device from damage but to say the display can cause this... I don't think so. If you leave it in a hot car or in a hot car charging, it may shutdown to a minimum to save the phone from damage but no display on a phone will get that hot to make it dim.

There is an auto dimming feature of the screen brightness by 'one notch' presumably due to heat but most likely due to dynamic setting.
rzmkHB2.png

The Note3 screen does suffer from screen burn. Just visit any store with a demo unit turned on and open a blank white internet page. You will notice some burn in mostly due to the fact that the screen is running 24hrs a day. However, others didn't all exhibit the same issue.

Last edited:

jasonasauraus

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes,screen burn-in DOES happen. When I work, if I put my phone in my pocket, it starts rubbing and unlocks the phone, changes settings and opens apps. I think it either stayed open due to rubbing or set the screen timeout to something radical, then opened Flipboard. . . Which now has its logo forever branded in the top-left of my screen. Anyway, besides that, in the 10 months I've owned my Note 3, no issues with the display otherwise. But now it seems to want to dim at odd intervals. Thought it was battery, it dimmed at 30%. So I plugged it in, and it brightened up at 33%. I got on here to find answers, it has since fluctuated a couple of times. I was thinking, just like your old Walkman will slow down the music when the battery is getting old, maybe after a while the Note 3 battery gets worn and does something of the same nature, just stops putting forth effort toward certain things. I also had a crazy speed reduction earlier may be irrelevant.

Win Zawoo

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Seeing a lot of reports of the Note 3 auto-dimming the screen even with auto-brightness turned off and max brightness selected? I'm curious if this is just a couple of strange instances or a widespread problem. It might be a deal breaker for me since I usually run at max brightness on AMOLED screens.

m5james

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So is there an official fix for the screen dimming from being too hot? This is quite an annoying "feature" that I'd like to disable and I accept all issues it may cause like shorter battery life, burn in, etc.

Note 3 on Sprint, unrooted.