Verizon Note 3 Reception Quality

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any signal strength comparisons on the Verizon Version of the Note 3? The reception is going to be different on phones built for each provider, AT&T, T Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, etc. I am on Verizon and have long awaited the arival of the Note 3, but I live in a rural area where I have to have a phone with good Verizon 4G reception. I originally purchased the Galaxy Nexus when it came out and loved it until I had to return it due to weak reception. My Rezound got much better reception and has served me well, but I really want to get this phone if the reception is good. As has been mentioned, bars mean little and the actual signal numbers or a comparison to a phone known for good reception like the Note 2 is a good comparison. Thanks guys, oh, and I'm very jealous of those of you who already have the Note 3.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
My mistake, with all the Note 3 release excitement, I thought it was out by now.

I have been waiting for a long while and checking back on occasion. With all the posts on the note I guess there is a reason I haven't read a Verizon specific one on features.

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: My mistake, with all the Note 3 release excitement, I thought it was out by now.

I love just about everything on this phone, (on paper) but it'll be returned if it has a radio as #^%#ty as my GNex.

nick sava

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I just received the Note 3 today, although I love the phone, I am disappointed in the signal strength compared to my HTC Rezound. The Rezound had 5 bars and a strong 4G signal at my work and the Note 3 has only 2 bars and goes back and forth between 3g and 4g.:(

yellowcanary73

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
That's not good will try mine for a few day and return it if I have too. I won't put up with a bad signal already left Samsung once due to that.

Posted via Android Central App

delkhouri

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I just received the Note 3 today, although I love the phone, I am disappointed in the signal strength compared to my HTC Rezound. The Rezound had 5 bars and a strong 4G signal at my work and the Note 3 has only 2 bars and goes back and forth between 3g and 4g.:(

Are you on Verizon? I can't remember if the HTC Rezound was on other carriers

nick sava

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes I'm on Verizon. It's working pretty good right now on 2 bars and 4g, but I'm gonna have to see how it is in other places since I just activated it tonight at work.

Tysonsaurus

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'll be comparing the dBM numbers between my note 2 and 3 tomorrow at the store. If the note 3 is worse than the 2 then I'm passing.

Posted via Android Central App

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it can be worse than my galaxy nexus so I probably won't notice if the signal isn't up to snuff compared to Motorola or HTC devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

daveappen

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried comparing dBm values instead of bars?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a Verizon version but I do have the Sprint version and after 4 days of use I feel like it's safe to say that the Note 2 has a better radio than the Note 3. As far as comparing decibels, I use Sensorly and my Note 2 always floated around the -107 area, sometimes better, sometimes worse. The Note 3 shows -110 or 111 much more frequently than the Note 2 did. Performance wise though, I can't really tell the difference. There are just too many variables. Last Sunday I was at my moms friends house and my buddy with his HTC One and my other friend with his Galaxy S4 (both on Sprint) were there too (was my bday! :) ). We tested the Wifi and the HTC One won by a big margin. The connection at that house is around 10 MBits, we were one wall removed from the router and the HTC One got between 7 and 8 MBit whereas the GS4 consistently beat the Note 3 by a small margin averaging around 3 MBit.

I consider all these non scientific tests, and too me the difference in performance when not looking at Sensoryly or SpeedTest, between the Note 2 and 3 are not discernible. Also, the longer I use the phone, the better it seems to get, as if it slowly got to know its surroundings at what towers to hook up to. Would I return this phone and go back to the Note 2 or even the HTC One? Not a chance. I haven't had a dropped call, internet performance seems on par, and the whole phone just is so much faster than the Note 2 (Google Earth has never looked this smooth), add to that the new useful features and the much better screen along with the much better feeling hardware, and the Note 3 is a keeper in my book.

I know, it's Sprint vs Verizon version....but look at it this way, if I can live with and get pretty decent speeds on Sprint, you Verizon guys shouldn't have any problems.

Edit: And just as I finished posting this, the phone dropped down to 3G after getting 6 MBit on a Speedtest just a few minutes prior. I must say...I haven't seen the 3G symbol at my house in quite a long time, and I unfortunately get to see more of it here with the Note 3. Again....I never had stellar signal at my house to begin with, so I am using Wifi again, and it works fine in other areas I frequent. So yes, the radio is worse, I am not happy about it, but the rest of the phone is worth it. Maybe they will push a software update to make it better?

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i took both the 2 and the 3 that i just got today down into my basement thats a dead zone . it first looked like the note 2 was gonna be just a little better but after about 30 min of messing with them they seemed about even . they both sucked LOL . both could maintain a call but neither could manage a data connection . the db readings was basically the same . sometimes identical sometimes all over the place. im headed out this weekend to some pretty marginal areas that will tell the tell.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
When I changed phones last time I switched out the girlfriends phone first, then I actually had 2 phones both using the Verizon radio to compare. Comparing an AT&T Radio on a Note 3 to a Verizon Note 3 is not a valid test since each carrier uses a different radio inside the phone. My original Galaxy Nexus was a poor radio next to my Rezound at the time. I am hoping to get several VERIZON dbm signal level reports to get an idea of how the radio in the Verizon Note 3 works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699