No lockscreen widgets with pattern lock?

jazzsalt

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that you cannot add lockscreen widgets when you're using the pattern lock security feature on a Note 3?

If this is the case, then it is a touch irritating!

Thanks

tahnir

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that you cannot add lockscreen widgets when you're using the pattern lock security feature on a Note 3?

If this is the case, then it is a touch irritating!

Thanks

I'm not 100% on that but I remember reading somewhere here on the forums that you indeed can't use them when it's enabled. Maybe they address that in an future update.

WilburNJ

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
How about if the phone is locked with a pin? Can you have a widget running in the lock screen? (Not sure if things run differently with different locking mechanisms.)

Thanks!

anon(1499564)

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Add long as you use pin or pattern u can't have lock screen widget. I think is a joke. Hope they fix this

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If you have a pin or pattern you aren't really going to benefit from having widgets on your lock screen. It's really no different than a home screen at that point. Power on > pin > icon on home screen or widget on lock versus power on > swipe to widget.

Posted via Android Central App

maximus96

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
it was like that with the S4...it's a "feature"...I get around it using widgetlocker and it allows me to add any widgets to the lockscreen. However, looks like the play store is showing it as incompatible with the N3...i put it on mine by backup/restore with helium from my N2 to N3...

edwmsjr

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a pin lock on my phone AND have the Beyond Pod widget on my lock screen. I could do the same with my Galaxy Nexus.

Are you on a Note 3...and if so, which carrier. Because, I had it working on my Note II, but the Note 3 doesn't have the same "with swipe lock" option if selecting a secure lock option.

ptbenic

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I would agree this is a bonehead move by Google as Verizon just updated to 4.3 and gone is the possibility of having the important email, text messages, phone apps on the lock screen if a 'pattern' security is used. In the past on 4.2, you could have those apps visible and you could have a quick look and see if you missed a message or phone call or email -- but of course there was security in that you could not access those messages/voicemails/emails unless you unlocked the phone with the pattern. Why did Google remove that option -- who was the brains behind that decision? For sure you can use 'Swipe' security, which is no security, and have the multiple apps on the lock screen, but that is ridiculous since it is no longer a lock screen since it is not locked! Google needs to bring back the option of using "Pattern" or 'Pin" security and still have the option of being able to see notifying apps on the lock screen.

And yes, looked at WidgetLocker for $2.99 and it puts the email and other apps on the lock screen, but it doesn't give you a notification number if you actually received an email, text, or phone call -- so although WidgetLocker is pretty, but also pretty useless.

So, how does one notify Google to restore a simple option?
Cheers,
Pat

DrSavant

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I would agree this is a bonehead move by Google as Verizon just updated to 4.3 and gone is the possibility of having the important email, text messages, phone apps on the lock screen if a 'pattern' security is used. In the past on 4.2, you could have those apps visible and you could have a quick look and see if you missed a message or phone call or email -- but of course there was security in that you could not access those messages/voicemails/emails unless you unlocked the phone with the pattern. Why did Google remove that option -- who was the brains behind that decision? For sure you can use 'Swipe' security, which is no security, and have the multiple apps on the lock screen, but that is ridiculous since it is no longer a lock screen since it is not locked! Google needs to bring back the option of using "Pattern" or 'Pin" security and still have the option of being able to see notifying apps on the lock screen.

And yes, looked at WidgetLocker for $2.99 and it puts the email and other apps on the lock screen, but it doesn't give you a notification number if you actually received an email, text, or phone call -- so although WidgetLocker is pretty, but also pretty useless.

So, how does one notify Google to restore a simple option?
Cheers,
Pat

If you use a free widget locker plugin called Nils, you will get detailed notifications, ios style.

Posted via Android Central App