Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you use the stock text app.

I use textra. I feel the stock app like every other phone is horrible. Granted you lose the rejection message function but you gain better handling of mms and more function from the pop up notification bar by being able to respond from it with out leaving the app you are in. What do you guys use?

Posted via My Galaxy Note 3
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Default Re: Do you use the stock text app.

I use ChompSMS. It was made by the people who made textra.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:

i use handcent, but thought id give the stock app another roll since the drag and drop of pics seems like a nice feature....

I've used Swiftkey on my HTC DInc and then Moto Razr. Will continue to use it on the Note 3.

I hate the icon of the stock app so much. Didn't anyone at Samsung stop and think "wow this looks awfully close to an email icon.". Dumbest icon ever.

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot486 View Post
    I've used Swiftkey on my HTC DInc and then Moto Razr. Will continue to use it on the Note 3.
    He is talking about the texting app... Not the keyboard .

Thanked by:
    fantom305 and bruceleer0y like this.

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

At the moment, yes. On my previous phone, I used Handcent or something (I forget) for a while, until I started running out of memory and had to start uninstalling apps. Things that had built-in apps, like for text messaging, were some of the first to go. For now, at least, I'm going with "if it's pre-installed and does what I want, why add something else?" Memory isn't a problem now, so I might try something else later, but I'll probably stick with stock. I don't text message so much that I need advanced features beyond what I'm seeing the stock app can do.
    AgentScribe and 21stNow like this.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I'm using the stock for now. I've used Textra on my S4, and it is my favorite just because it is the fastest. I might switch to Chomp when I get bored of the stock one just to try it out. GO offers the most customization IMO, but it is the slowest.

Still using stock. It does what I need it to. Only thing I don't like is the white background in conversation view. I may try something else eventually but for now it does the job.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    aokp_toro_build-22 Franco

Quote Originally Posted by dextorboot View Post
    Still using stock. It does what I need it to. Only thing I don't like is the white background in conversation view. I may try something else eventually but for now it does the job.

You can change that is settings.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

In regards to chomp I was under the impression it wasn't as good as textra being textra is considered the improved text app from the same company. From what I've seen with chomp it's more customizable but not as good. That's just my opinion from using both. Also the only thing I don't like is with a lock screen with no security textra won't open to the app unless you unlock the phone. But full emoji support is nice. When it comes to the stock features besides call rejection. Every other features to me is a gimmick.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Also wondering if you guys disable the stock app fully or leave it running the background so you can keep certain features like call rejection messages on the incoming call screen.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I use the stock app. I don't want to answer my messages, see my messages or do anything with my messages unless I open the app. Seeing the led light to tell me there is a message there,, nothing more, is how I have it set and is all I need. No pop ups no nothing.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    love my evo.
    llfloyd79 likes this.

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

FWIW, the default messaging appears to contain "Emergency alert" settings under Settings, More. I don't know how or if disabling the messaging app will affect these alerts, but if you want to get those alerts, you might be better off not disabling the app. Perhaps someone more familiar with the system than me can provide more info though.

Quote Originally Posted by mooread View Post
    You can change that is settings.

No, you can't. You can change the background for each individual conversation, but not the background when viewing the list of all conversations.
    zmann likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dextorboot View Post
    No, you can't. You can change the background for each individual conversation, but not the background when viewing the list of all conversations.
    You are correct

love my evo.

Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

I use the stock app, don't mind it too much, and it is the ONLY app that works with the Gear.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Patiently waiting for my Themer beta key to resolve this.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by Sooks View Post
    I use the stock app, don't mind it too much, and it is the ONLY app that works with the Gear.
    If I get the Gear then I'll use the stock app. But until then the stock app just is too ugly and I don't know if you guys realize text your self as a test it's much slower sending and receiving than at least textra.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Textra here as well. Functionality is exactly what I need.

Current Devices: OnePlus One, Moto X, HTC One M8, 2013 Nexus 7

Retired Devices: Sony Xperia Z2, Nexus 5, LG G3, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

I tried textra this afternoon and as soon as got home went back to stock. Was not impressed at all with it,, like the stock app much better.

love my evo.

I'm still using the stock app.
    zmann likes this.

I'm using the stock app and haven't figured out how to disable the screen from turning on when I get a text. If I uncheck preview message, the screen still comes on but it doesn't display any info such as who sent a text and what the text says.

I tried switching to go sms pro and disabling the stock app but all that did was stop me from receiving any text messages. You have to keep the stock app active.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Hey everyone. I am about to get my Note 3 here in the next few days and saw this thread. Do all these texting apps use your actual phone number? Sorry, but I'm making the switch from iPhone and have limited android experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jsreen View Post
    Hey everyone. I am about to get my Note 3 here in the next few days and saw this thread. Do all these texting apps use your actual phone number? Sorry, but I'm making the switch from iPhone and have limited android experience.
    Yes, it replaces the stock messaging app.
    Thanked by:
    jsreen 
    jsreen likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast