Verizon Galaxy Note 3 signal and WIFI reception?

daveappen

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
It seems there have been carrier specific signal reception issues reported for the Note 3. For those of you that have gotten the Verizon Note 3, how does the signal reception compare to your previous phone? If possible, post some dBm readings as opposed to just the number of bars.

Also, how has WIFI been? Any issues?

Thanks in advance.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Most have found it to be an issue with the "auto network switch"option under wifi. Ensure it's off and you're good.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1381427794649.jpg
    1381427794649.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 114

daveappen

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Most have found it to be an issue with the "auto network switch"option under wifi. Ensure it's off and you're good.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Yeah, I've been following that. The latest I saw was that it temporarily helped; their issues returned after some time, even with that auto network switch disabled.

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've been following that. The latest I saw was that it temporarily helped; their issues returned after some time, even with that auto network switch disabled.

the auto network switch won't do it by itself.

in the phone dialer hit , " *#0011# " then turn off wifi power saving.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I have not had any problems with my Note 3 on Verizon with WIFI signals at all I keep my on so when I get home or at work it automatically switches to WIFI.

KJD209

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Quite possibly the worst signal reception I have ever had on a 4G phone. Keeps reverting back to 3G. I live in a 4G LTE dense environment and I am having issues. I put the phone next to my friend's S3 and he had 4G while I had 3G. Phone has gone to all gray/white bars with the message "Issue with network server" several times. Checked with CSR and there are no tower / signal issues in my area.

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 from a local Verizon store. I am very disappointed with this phone. I paid full price to keep my unlimited data alive. I am finding that the RF reception is abysmal. In buildings where I used to get -89 dbm with my Motorola Droid Bionic, I get -118 dbm with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Even outdoors, with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, I don't get that great of a 4G LTE signal. The phone will usually then switch to 1 to 2 bars of 3G and stay there until I am back in a really strong 4G area. I'm thinking either the antenna is of poor quality or the radio is not very sensitive - or both. I may have to return this phone and try the LG G2. This GN3 cannot even begin to compete with my old Motorola Droid Bionic when it comes to holding on to a less than perfect signal. In strong signal areas there is no problem, but when the signal isn't the best, the GN3 does a poor job of holding the 4G LTE signal. My Motorola Droid Bionic used to do an outstanding job in the same exact places this GN3 fails. The screen is brilliant, and you couldn't ask for a more feature packed phone. The sound quality is good and volume level is great, but above all the GN3 has to be able to connect to a signal to be a great phone. In the near future, Verizon is going to Voice over LTE (VoLTE). This means that our phone conversations will now be carried on the 4G LTE band. That really scares me with my GN3, since it can't maintain a 4G LTE signal unless I'm really in a strong signal area.

I have done a little testing on 5 GHz WiFi and get phenomenal speeds 84 Mbps down and 39 Mbps up - the same as on my PC. It appears that the cellular radios are just sub-par on the Note 3.

I also compared the 3G signal strength of my Note 3 to my Motorola Droid Bionic (since the Note 3 switches frequently in and out of 4G LTE to 3G). The Note 3 reports - 107 dBm in 3G while the Bionic reports -83 dBm in 3G in the same exact location. Now something is radically wrong here!

Last edited:

randpost

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The G2 is quite a bit better in the antenna/radio department than the note 3. My wife has the g2. I still wouldn't give up the note 3, but I'm always in strong 4G areas.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 from a local Verizon store. I am very disappointed with this phone. I paid full price to keep my unlimited data alive. I am finding that the RF reception is abysmal. In buildings where I used to get -89 dbm with my Motorola Droid Bionic, I get -118 dbm with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Even outdoors, with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, I don't get that great of a 4G LTE signal. The phone will usually then switch to 1 to 2 bars of 3G and stay there until I am back in a really strong 4G area. I'm thinking either the antenna is of poor quality or the radio is not very sensitive - or both. I may have to return this phone and try the LG G2. This GN3 cannot even begin to compete with my old Motorola Droid Bionic when it comes to holding on to a less than perfect signal. In strong signal areas there is no problem, but when the signal isn't the best, the GN3 does a poor job of holding the 4G LTE signal. My Motorola Droid Bionic used to do an outstanding job in the same exact places this GN3 fails. The screen is brilliant, and you couldn't ask for a more feature packed phone. The sound quality is good and volume level is great, but above all the GN3 has to be able to connect to a signal to be a great phone. In the near future, Verizon is going to Voice over LTE (VoLTE). This means that our phone conversations will now be carried on the 4G LTE band. That really scares me with my GN3, since it can't maintain a 4G LTE signal unless I'm really in a strong signal area.

I have done a little testing on 5 GHz WiFi and get phenomenal speeds 84 Mbps down and 39 Mbps up - the same as on my PC. It appears that the cellular radios are just sub-par on the Note 3.

I also compared the 3G signal strength of my Note 3 to my Motorola Droid Bionic (since the Note 3 switches frequently in and out of 4G LTE to 3G). The Note 3 reports - 107 dBm in 3G while the Bionic reports -83 dBm in 3G in the same exact location. Now something is radically wrong here!

I would return it and try another GNOTE3. If you are still getting the same single as the one you have now. Then I would switch to the G2 or since you are coming from the Bionic may be you should try the Motorola X. In my opinion after messing with the G2 I will never give up my Gnote3. I have not had any kind of problems. It has been running like a champ.

precious-droid-x.jpg
My Precious!!!​
Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there a toggle for LTE on/off on this phone?

Sent from my iPad

Not directly, but you can use "advanced signal status" from the play store to force it to 3g, select "cdma auto prl"

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would return it and try another GNOTE3. If you are still getting the same single as the one you have now. Then I would switch to the G2 or since you are coming from the Bionic may be you should try the Motorola X. In my opinion after messing with the G2 I will never give up my Gnote3. I have not had any kind of problems. It has been running like a champ.

I agree, my note 3 has good signal so he should try another one

capcom303

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
just got the note 3 for verizon and I'm coming from ATT. This being the only verizon phone I have it's going to be hard to compare but in my house the best I get is 2 bars of 3g service. Need to look into it more since I just got the phone last night. Had a note 3 for ATT and took it back because of signal troubles but we have been having trouble here for the last 3-4 months and ATT doesn't seem to want to fix it. Had trouble with the wifi on the ATT one so I will also see how this one works on wifi

jerry12

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have checked my Dbm on my Note 3 & it gives the same Dbm as coworkers Motorola phone's. I had the phone's laying on a table so my hands wouldn't interfere.

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I ended up returning my Note 3 and donating $35 to that poor company "Verizon". I thought they could use the $35 better than I. Cha-Ching!

I was at work today and couldn't get a 4G LTE signal to save my life. In certain parts of our building where other Verizon customers were getting 3G and 4G LTE, I was getting 1X or no service. The Harrisburg Verizon store, where I returned the GN3, wanted me to try another SIM card. I said no after "Googling" the issue, there were too many other owners having the poor signal issue as well.

I asked the sales girl about the LG G2 and she said it probably wouldn't be any better than my Samsung GN3. She said Motorola is the best for weak signals (as did Preach2K). I just don't really like their new devices.

I hated to give up that beautiful GN3, but in my fringe signal area, it just didn't cut it. Sprint has a really great 4G LTE signal in my area. I'll probably switch to them shortly. Sprint is also deploying Tri-Band in this area now. Their first Tri-Band phone will be the LG G2.

eric2234

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
The G2 has a much better reception than the Note 3...my Note 3 will often drop to no service right beside my wife's G2 has LTE.

Posted via Android Central App

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Not directly, but you can use "advanced signal status" from the play store to force it to 3g, select "cdma auto prl"

How did you get it to work? That app(every other similar app as well) opens then force closes saying Verizon restricted access. I don't know about the situation with it prior to the last update but apparently Verizon has LTE only accesss blocked. I can't even open the hidden menu, now.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995