Bad photos in low light?

granim

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from an iPhone 4s to the Note 3- I love this phone!! It's everything I was hoping for and looking forward to... except for the camera. I'm finding that it's taking pretty crappy low-light photos. I take a lot of them in our home, and have a baby on the way, so the camera is really important to me. With my iphone 4s it seemed the images were much sharper, although a bit grainier. I probably wouldn't care if I were just sharing on social media, but I will be printing pics as well. Has anyone else noticed this as well? I have image stabilization turned on (I've tried it both on and off). I was hoping someone might have some tips to make them look better. I'm considering returning the phone for one with a better camera.. but, I love it besides this issue so I'm hoping I can make it work :)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Well, the iPhone's camera has always been good, in my opinion. As much as I love, truly love, my Note 3 its low-light performance is not nearly as good as the iPhone's, IME. You can always exchange the phone and see if a different unit has any better camera performance for you.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
May come out with a software update for the phone at some point in time, or return it and get a HTC One which has great low light performance.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from an iPhone 4s to the Note 3- I love this phone!! It's everything I was hoping for and looking forward to... except for the camera. I'm finding that it's taking pretty crappy low-light photos. I take a lot of them in our home, and have a baby on the way, so the camera is really important to me. With my iphone 4s it seemed the images were much sharper, although a bit grainier. I probably wouldn't care if I were just sharing on social media, but I will be printing pics as well. Has anyone else noticed this as well? I have image stabilization turned on (I've tried it both on and off). I was hoping someone might have some tips to make them look better. I'm considering returning the phone for one with a better camera.. but, I love it besides this issue so I'm hoping I can make it work :)

If the room is well lit pictures seem to becoming out pretty good. Make sure all the lights are on! :)

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I was noticing this too... and I was about to start a thread. Day time photos are fine... night time photos in normal mode isn't horrible but you don't get much light. If you use "Smart Stabilization" mode in low light... it lets in a lot more light... BUT it looks like the phone is doing too much smoothing of the photo. I assume it's smoothing to get rid of noise... but the end effect is that everything looks slightly blurred.

I'm playing with the camera more to try and see if it's the camera... or if it's how I'm using it... but I'm definitely noticing what you are talking about. It's a processing thing... so maybe a software update will fix it. My Galaxy S3 took sharper photos in my opinion.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I hope it's taking care of with a update. One of the things that made my note 2 camera so awesome was the specific setting to take low light picture..

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol