Note 3: USB 3 cable not charging

Nursedad

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else have an issue with the Note 3's included cable not charging? I had to use an old 2.0 cable for my initial charge today.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Re: USB 3 cable not charging

Anyone else have an issue with the Note 3's included cable not charging? I had to use an old 2.0 cable for my initial charge today.

Nope, do a reboot with the charger in the phone.

Also for what it is worth, I chared from 20% to 100% in under an hour with the new cord. Not bad!

Nursedad

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

Appreciate the reply. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. Either a bad cable or port.

AgentScribe

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Also for what it is worth, I chared from 20% to 100% in under an hour with the new cord. Not bad!

Is the 3.0 cable faster via a computer or wall outlet?

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

If you have the cable plugged into the charger unit that came with it, you should get a fast charge. If you have it plugged into a 1.0 amp old adapter, or into a 2.0 usb port on your computer, it will be about as slow as charging your last phone. If you need extra plug in adapters to take the usb cable, I found a great deal at Radio Shack but it's a clearance item and very few stores have any. Look for this in your local store iGo Universal Tablet Wall Charger : Tablet & E-reader Power | RadioShack.com
It's worth a drive to get one. It has TWO 2.0A USB ports. Priced on Amazon from 26 to 62 dollars. Radio Shack's price is 9 bucks!

chaselby

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

This is happening to me too. A regular micro USB cord charges just fine. The USB 3 cable (the double-sized connector thing) does not charge at all, even with the supplied AC-DC transformer).

Have you figured out what is wrong?

C H

Update: USB 3 cable not charging Samsung Note 3 solved.
I visited the Bestbuy where I bought my Note 3. This Bestbuy has a Samsung representative with a booth near the mobile department. I told him the Note 3 I bought recently was not charging off the supplied USB 3 charging equipment. He and I did some troubleshooting and determined that the USB 3 cable was apparently faulty. When I plugged my Note 3 in with a cable from a different Note 3 box my phone charged as expected. The Samsung rep was polite and agreed to let me keep the functioning cable from our testing.

Last edited:

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I have the OEM charger and cable that came with the phone. No way will it charge from 20-100% in an hour and if it could, it would be burning batteries faster than you could shake a stick.

Simple math dictates that you can't charge your 3200 ma battery from 20% to 100% in an hour, or even close to that. The Samsung charger is rated at 2 amps, meaning it will output a 2 amp/ hour of charging. Assuming there is a loss of about 20-30% during the charge process, that would mean about 1300-1600 ma/hour of charging. That means 2 hours MINIMUM to charge a battery from 0-100%, but you would not even get that. I would venture a guess that it would take about 2 hours to charge a battery from 20%-100% using the OEM charger and cable, not less.

EDIT: I just tested everything - I charged from 39% to 83% in one hour using the OEM charger and cable supplied in the box. My math tells me that's inline with what it should take.

Your claim is NOT possible, sorry to tell you, but it's time to replace your Timex watch.

Last edited:

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I had this issue a few weeks ago,, in fact I started a thread like this. The cord,, barely un coiled and broken in stopped working. Just the cord.. The Sprint store gave me the cord they use in store

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

Roelof Riphagen

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I used a USB0.2 cable to transfer data from my Pc to my new Note 3. Now the phone or Pc does not connect with either cable (USB2.0 or supplied new USB 3.0 cable).
Since then my phone will not charge at all (wall charger or Pc). The only way to charge my phone is when it is switched off with the supplied cable and charger. I can't see that it could be the cable because it still charges when the phone is off?

obzerv

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

I've just started having the exact same problem yesterday. I've try another note 3 charger, plugging it into my pc (which doesn't even recognise the phone anymore) with both the cable which came with the phone & a micro usb..... has anyone found a solution to this problem? read in another forum that it could be the usb port on the phone itself??? if so that's pretty poor hardware considering the cost of these phones

ok so far it seems a few good and hard blows, a can of compressed air would be better mine just ran out lol, into the usb port and further wiggling of the connection enabled the phone to start charging again. Still, i feel this may only be a band aid as it doesn't explain, in fact throws more questions into the pot, why the phone charges once the battery is completely flat and once the phone shuts down.....

Last edited:

obzerv

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

Ok blowing air into the usb connection & wiggling the connection doesn't always work. But when turning the phone off, no matter what percentage of charge the battery has, and it starts charging. Has anyone found a fix or know why this suddenly happened?

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

I've just started having the exact same problem yesterday. I've try another note 3 charger, plugging it into my pc (which doesn't even recognise the phone anymore) with both the cable which came with the phone & a micro usb..... has anyone found a solution to this problem? read in another forum that it could be the usb port on the phone itself??? if so that's pretty poor hardware considering the cost of these phones

ok so far it seems a few good and hard blows, a can of compressed air would be better mine just ran out lol, into the usb port and further wiggling of the connection enabled the phone to start charging again. Still, i feel this may only be a band aid as it doesn't explain, in fact throws more questions into the pot, why the phone charges once the battery is completely flat and once the phone shuts down.....

Another opinion of what might be happening. As we all know, that 3.0 port on the Note 3 has a small and large opening. A lot of times users will put the 3.0 cable the connector on the phone the wrong way. Force is applied, and it won't go in. About that time the user has figured they have the cable the wrong way. And turn the cable around. It is possible that doing this process, the connector on the phone can get damaged. The reason I mentioned this is because a lot of times I put the cable on backwards, that is why I try not to apply a lot of force when connecting, and most of the times I look at both of the connectors before I insert the cable.

BTW, I have had zero problems with my connector. The Note 3 charges fast from the 3.0 cable to a wall socket. I am never down to 20 or 30% mostly around 40% is about the lowest I have went. Always less than an hour to fully charge..

frekat

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

Have two Galaxy note 3 in the house. The issue with mine is that it would not charge when the USB 3.0 cord was plug in. Took it to the store. Tech figured it was a bad chord and replaced the cord. The problem started with the new cord as well. Need to wiggle into a some angle to start charging. I could not place the cord snug to the phone port but needed to take out the plug slightly until is made the connection. I thought it was the phone port but I believe the issue is with the USB 3.0 cords because when I plug a new USB 2.0 micro USB cord (old standard) in to the phone port connection, it sits very snug and the phone charges with no issues at to its position in the port.

Having tried two USB 3.0 cords I surmise that as the cords become worn because there are two male sides their ability to connect lessens. Samsung wants to me to send the phone to them and be out of the phone for about 2 weeks. Even if they replace the phone port the issue will still be with the cords. The phone carrier for which I have insurance wants the deductible of $200 for a "new" replacement phone probably a refurbished phone. The solution for me and maybe for some of you is to remove the USB 3.0 cord from the charging unit and use new easily found micro USB 2.0 cords which have been the standard. As we all know the phone needs to charged on 2.0 Amp charger to get it charged quickly. Still love this phone but believe SAMSUNG has missed the boat on a silly issue which is bad PR for a great phone. Someone from their rep department should join in and address this issue. As an aside I can't wait until they make a "waterproof" watch accessory.

frekat

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

As I close out the reply I noticed that the USB 2.0 cord male plug is 25% longer than the same side of the USB 3.0 plug. It probably seats better because it is more stable in the port. Now the issue is whether charging the phone with just a USB 2.0 cord damages the phone, it seems to work fine.

hcane466

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

I had same problem with my nexus 10 turned out to be the wall charger itself..call Samsung ...they sent me the wrong charger twice..The charger to a Galaxy Tab...so good luck...Their cs are as dumb as rocks....but I love my note 3

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

co11mrmark

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

1st my partner's Note 3 stopped charging with the included charger, now mine too! We both had to resort to using our old micro usb chargers and the charge is
s l o w ! ! !

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

My device was overheating and wouldn't charge. I swapped USB cables and still wasn't getting a charge. I finally broke out the wall charger and used the original USB cable. So far I've gone from 45% to 70%. Once I get a chance I'll reboot my computer just in case there's some sort of application that's preventing me from charging via USB.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

While we like a little bit of humor in the forums, lets keep it clean and civil, eh?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan