Use stock Mobile Hotspot app on Verizon without subscription

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For those on Verizon UDP or other non share everything plan, you can use the stock mobile hotspot app, just activate with a third party widget like elixir. Note that you will get the error message attached. DO NOT press cancel, but instead go to your notification bar and select the hotspot app

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Here is the screen shot

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381501868527.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381501868527.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 172

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Never update your phones either if Verizon releases one for the Note 3... It will probably be to hot fix this lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Never update your phones either if Verizon releases one for the Note 3... It will probably be to hot fix this lol.

The same loophole was on my s3 and Note II.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The same loophole was on my s3 and Note II.

Ah the may not care since the amount of people doing this glitch isn't to big. At least it's easy for you guys to do.

I rooted and had to get a modified apk to use the tether as unlimited.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah the may not care since the amount of people doing this glitch isn't to big. At least it's easy for you guys to do.

I rooted and had to get a modified apk to use the tether as unlimited.

Or it might be because of the fcc rules. Dunno. But just glad it works. Btw, my friend has a gs4 and it works as well. I guess they may fix it in an update, but this has been a known loophole since the s3 came out which was over a year ago.

Sucks to hear about that though. TMobile is tougher on mhs. Honestly I rarely use the it anyway, and I don't want to bother with root so if it required root, then I wouldn't bother.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Or it might be because of the fcc rules. Dunno. But just glad it works. Btw, my friend has a gs4 and it works as well. I guess they may fix it in an update, but this has been a known loophole since the s3 came out which was over a year ago.

Sucks to hear about that though. TMobile is tougher on mhs. Honestly I rarely use the it anyway, and I don't want to bother with root so if it required root, then I wouldn't bother.

I barley use it as well. T-Mobile does give me 2.5 GB of tether with my unlimited data for phone but I was rooting anyway to get rid of some bloat so I installed the modified APK to hide the data on tether so my buddy at work (on AT&T 3GB) could stream CNN some in the morning to watch some show he likes on there.

Doxcyguy617

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it has to do with the FCC ruling. They cannot dictate how you use your data, so they can no longer block those third party apps that create a hotspot and work arounds to get the stock hotspot working. So this shouldn't ever go away.

So for those that pay the extra $30 fee for a hotspot don't have too... but I still pay for mine because I have maintained my unlimited data plan, and don't want to chance screwing it up for any reason. I've used over 20GB of data a month, so I am getting my money's worth.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

On TMobile the HOTSPOT is FREE, along with 2.5gb.

iPhone 5_to_GS4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I learned it on 10/10 on this forum as well. Very interesting how Android can do this while iPhone's cannot.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
On TMobile the HOTSPOT is FREE, along with 2.5gb.

Free but limited. Verizon offers unlimited mhs plan, tmo doesn't. Of course, it depends on your needs, if tmobile works for you then great. I work in a densely populated part of Los Angeles but at my office both att and tmo get weak service or no service, missed and dropped calls, whereas Verizon is rock solid. It is fun though watching those on other carriers having to tilt their head a certain way and in a certain spot to get reception.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Free but limited. Verizon offers unlimited mhs plan, tmo doesn't. Of course, it depends on your needs, if tmobile works for you then great. I work in a densely populated part of Los Angeles but at my office both att and tmo get weak service or no service, missed and dropped calls, whereas Verizon is rock solid. It is fun though watching those on other carriers having to tilt their head a certain way and in a certain spot to get reception.

I have unlimited T-Mobile tether... ;):beer:.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have unlimited T-Mobile tether... ;):beer:.

But not via an tmobile unlimited mhs plan. ;)

The nice thing about Verizon is you don't need to root to use unlimited hotspot (plan or otherwise).

But as always, different needs for different folks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But not via an tmobile unlimited mhs plan. ;)

The nice thing about Verizon is you don't need to root to use unlimited hotspot (plan or otherwise).

But as always, different needs for different folks.

But... You also have to be already on the Verizon unlimited plan... To get unlimited tether.... Just like I have to root to get it.... Each one takes something before getting it.

Tomato Tamato ;).

Also where I live I get service anywhere my Verizon buddies do... And my HSPA beats their LTE. Now if we traveled then they'd have service in areas where I wouldn't most likely.. But as you said different strokes for everyone... Such as your area Verizon is obviously better :).

Mark_LA

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Foxfi Version 2.13.1 (Full Unlocked with Key) on Verizon with Galaxy S4 and the latest Android 4.3

I'm using Foxfi Version 2.13.1 (Full Unlocked with Key) on Verizon with Galaxy S4 and the latest Android 4.3 Verizon VRUEMJ7 update, and it all works fine. I also have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and I don't subscribe to the Verizon hotspot feature.

I also don't get the annoying popup above saying that I'm not subscribed since I used the work-around to remove the screen-lock/password imposed when Foxfi created a certificate. I did that work-around since prior to the update to 4.3/VRUEMJ7, if that matters. The detail for that work-around can be found on the description from the developer for the FoxFi App on the Google Play store.

Prior to updating to 4.3 today I also browsed all the forums and found that one other Verizon/S4/4.3/Foxfi user like yourself reported that their Foxfi didn't work after the update. The other user like you with the issue claimed that installing the Sprint/AT&T version of the Foxfi app fixed the issue for him, so you might want to give that a try.

So, in case someone else is in the same boat as I am: I'm confirming, 100% conclusively, without a doubt, that FoxFi works perfectly on My Samsung Galaxy S4 on Verizon with Unlimited Data and no hotspot subscription.

I wish someone would have done the same for me when I was googling this question prior to accepting the OTA update.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Foxfi Version 2.13.1 (Full Unlocked with Key) on Verizon with Galaxy S4 and the latest Android 4

I hope somebody checks out this hack after the latest OTA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38