best way to save physical buttons?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I guess the physical buttons eventually worn out, so what are the ways to avoid using them?

I used to use "wake up screen", which works great, but consumes 4-8% of battery. Any other apps that can wake up GN3 with some sensor, but consume less battery?

Alo, what would be a soft replacement for "home" button?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I use quick glance to turn in the screen. I use pie control and set one of the buttons to the home button. I practically never use the physical buttons

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4

emiinn

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I use quick glance to turn in the screen. I use pie control and set one of the buttons to the home button. I practically never use the physical buttons

Can I download pie control on my unrooted note 3? It's a great app. I used to use Zephyr for ios. It's almost the same. I hate using the buttons

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
okay, pie control works wonders, and yes, it requires no rooting.

Quick glance is trick to use. It is just not working here

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a switch I made on Widgetsoid to turn the screen off.

Quick glance only works if the phone is lying flat.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3 now Free

emiinn

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I like pie control very much. But only a pity you can't add an option to sleepmode your phone. Would be great to shut off your phone to standby thru the bottom screen command

ALSO, can I do the same things that pie control can if I would load up Nova ROM?

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I like pie control very much. But only a pity you can't add an option to sleepmode your phone. Would be great to shut off your phone to standby thru the bottom screen command

ALSO, can I do the same things that pie control can if I would load up Nova ROM?

If you mean turn the screen off, I use screen off fx, and set it as one of the commands in pie control.

emiinn

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
If you mean turn the screen off, I use screen off fx, and set it as one of the commands in pie control.

Not only screen off, but also to get home, back, tasks in background. Is it possible and easy as pie control in Nova or not?

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
My wife uses her phone more than anyone I know and she never wears out her buttons. I wouldn't worry about it personally it's a high level device

Posted via Android Central App

emiinn

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
My wife uses her phone more than anyone I know and she never wears out her buttons. I wouldn't worry about it personally it's a high level device

You probably right, but I don't know. I find it very easy to return, homescreen and kill task on screen in one time, rather than aways using buttons.
f.e; I find it irritating while I'm browsing that I have to go back with the return button. Would be awesome if I found something to do with gestures on screen.

Think I will sort everything out tomorrow and will root and rom (with a rom that fits my needs) my phone.
As a rookie android user, my experiences with android are so great, but i've to learn so much about this OS. And that will take a while I think =)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not only screen off, but also to get home, back, tasks in background. Is it possible and easy as pie control in Nova or not?
I would think that it would work with nova, but I am not using it.
Home and tasks yes. Back required root.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381639285254.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381639285254.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 27
  • uploadfromtaptalk1381639301059.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381639301059.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 27

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess the physical buttons eventually worn out, so what are the ways to avoid using them?

I used to use "wake up screen", which works great, but consumes 4-8% of battery. Any other apps that can wake up GN3 with some sensor, but consume less battery?

Alo, what would be a soft replacement for "home" button?

Don't be weird... use your home button... it's not going to fall apart... lol

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Don't be weird... use your home button... it's not going to fall apart... lol

^ This made me smile. I don't really envision the button disintegrating or just not working in the period of time I'I'm gonna be using my phone, if ever. It's just that the Note 3 and '14 Note 10.1 are so awesome...so "My precious"... that we don't want anything to take them or their brethren away from us. ...but I won't be weird about it, lol.

from my '14 Note 10.1

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
My home button has some give to it. with my finger, I can shift it a little. It isn't really noticeable, but I can see it. I would imagine over time it will get worse. Any ideas?

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My home button has some give to it. with my finger, I can shift it a little. It isn't really noticeable, but I can see it. I would imagine over time it will get worse. Any ideas?

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

Leave it alone and stop thinking about it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

For me it isn't that I am worried about it malfunctioning, I have warranty even if that did happen. But I just don't like the feel of using physical buttons.

To answer the question about Nova, yes pie control does work with it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
This reminds of the Samsung durability testing video (below). While it's possible a button (home, power or volume) could fail, the likelihood is very small. You'd probably have to mash em more than you ever care to over the course of years to even get close to wearing them out. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz