Total Newbie to Android

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I'll look into that.

Now that I have a slightly better idea of what these widgets and apps are on about, I'm slowly getting rid of my Apple days in terms of having the whole screen full of apps and nothing else!

theres a couple of threads where people are posting their screens, take a look at those.... nova launcher is a favorite....

Hightime7898

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Cool, popping over to the thread to take a look ....

All in all, initial thoughts on this Note are that it's killed the iphone. There's no way I could go back to that, leave aside all the customisation options the Note has, just the size of the screen is enough to make it a winner.

David_LFC

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I use nova launcher and have a 6 x 4 grid. With the dock set to hide unhide with double click.

I've come from iPhone too and have finally settled on....

Main home screen
Dash clock
Folders / shortcuts with items I use regularly.
Social
Messaging apps
Browsers
Sky news widget at the bottom with headlines.

My other screens are then widgets
1 page falcon pro
1 page favourite contacts / android central
1 page RSS junkie With RSS feeds
1 page with media player shortcuts
Pandora
I heart radio
Pocket casts
Tunein radio
Last screen with a couple of other news widgets bbc and another paper

Nova allows gestures ( well worth the upgrade) so quick access to app draw etc.

I also use swaps to give me access to running apps and also a shortcut to chompsms quick compose (new sms from anywhere)

On the iPhone it was jail broken so not new to customisation. The only thing I miss now are bitesms and lockinfo.

Oh and PDAnet on iOS allows tethering of wifi not just mobile so good in an hotel or if I wanted to use a vpn for netflix on my Apple TV.

David_LFC

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Nice David. I just got Nova with the upgrade so I know I'm basically gonna be sitting here all day messing about with this!

Know what you mean currently running 4 twitter clients why I decide my favourite. (Currently falcon), best thing battery life goes all day so I don't need to worry.

Nova well worth it - I disabled swipe up gesture as a tendency to activate when scrolling through widgets. - I guess this will depend on the type of widgets you have for me both falcon and RSSjunkie there is a lot of scrolling.

Hightime7898

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Know what you mean currently running 4 twitter clients why I decide my favourite. (Currently falcon), best thing battery life goes all day so I don't need to worry.

Never even knew about a Twitter client, nice.

I disabled swipe up gesture as a tendency to activate when scrolling through widgets.

Not familiar with the swipe up gesture? On Nova? What does it do?

Hightime7898

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok I figured the swipe up thing.

A question, before I installed Nova, there was a widget for "Action memo," after installing it, I can't seem to be able to find the widget, only the App button? Is there any way I can get that widget back? Or activate it again or something?

David_LFC

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
You lose some of the Samsung widgets. Only downside to other launchers.

You can add a shortcut to the touch wiz launcher (or a gesture) think it under shortcuts nova actions select touch wiz. And then have the widget on that screen.
I prefer the customisation of nova so don't mind the trade off.

it's all about personal preference

Posted via Android Central App

sohailgagai

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't know but I am missing my iPhone already . its big screen only advantage !!

need help to learn more about huawei 510 very new to android

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo