1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default .mkv audio support

The stock video app doesn't support audio codec for .mkv files..
    Any way to "install" or make the audio work on the stock video app?

Otherwise I'm thinking of installing VLC, because it supports many extensions and audio codecs. But I kinda liked the stock video app
    Last edited by emiinn; 10-12-2013 at 06:00 AM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: .mkv audio support

Nobody that has knowledge with this kind of stuff?

.mkv is just a container file and doesn't necessarily mean a specific codec. You probably are trying to play audio encoded as AC3. If that is the case, it isn't supported for legal reasons. Blame the lawyers. You might be able to find an old .apk for something like MX player which supports it. I think the new versions have it stripped as well, but if you Google it, there was a way to "side load" the codec into MX player. I don't think you can add codecs to the stock video player. Hope that helps.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    emiinn 
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by shaw1234 View Post
    .mkv is just a container file and doesn't necessarily mean a specific codec. You probably are trying to play audio encoded as AC3. If that is the case, it isn't supported for legal reasons. Blame the lawyers. You might be able to find an old .apk for something like MX player which supports it. I think the new versions have it stripped as well, but if you Google it, there was a way to "side load" the codec into MX player. I don't think you can add codecs to the stock video player. Hope that helps.

Has VLC player the ability to play .mkv with this audio codec?

Us mx player and look for codecs Arm7 with neon.

Tapatalk

What pencil said.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by cherry520 View Post
    As MKV is not a default format for Galaxy Note 3, what you can do is to find a third-party video player to installed and try to get a files played. Some DTS encoded MKV files are not supported well yet with a 3rd party video player app. An alternative method is to convert MKV to Galaxy Note 3 playable format .i.e H.264 MP4. So that you can with the stock video app without the audio issues.
    Cherry I'm using mxplayer it plays MKV on the s/with but I noticed when I switch to s/w from h/w the quality goes down a bit but doesn't matter

Anyway thanks