Galaxy Note 3 - USB 3.0 charging/mac issues

dt808

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So, I have a macbook air with 2 usb 3.0 ports. But, when I plug in my normal 3.0 cable that I got with the note 3.. it most certainly does not charge as fast as it should.

It's charging very slow.. am I doing something wrong here? Anyone else?

I see that it says use as a media device (3.0 device) but it's greyed out and won't let me select it.

isaacjkim

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I just got my note 3 and im having the same issues. Charging fine via wall charger but ridiculously slow via macbook pro. If im using the note 3 while its connected to my macbook, it actually loses battery.

Anyone have a solution to this?

8tech

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Have any of you charged using a desktop? I would assume that the charging is slower because the wattage on the power supply is less.

Edit: What I meant was because the power supply is smaller on laptops, the amount of power that the manufacturer decides to output on those USB ports may be set lower.

Last edited:

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The wall charger can output 2 amps. At best usb 3.0 should allow .9 amps. So it should be a little slower, but not allot. Are you sure it is a usb 3.0 port.

Edit** Looks like my memory was wrong about usb 3.0 power output. .9 amps is the upper limit. That should be enough to charge, but not fast.

Posted via Android Central App

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok another update on the spec. USB 3.0 also allows for certain ports to enter a charge mode. The mode if the hardware supports it bumps output to 1.5amps, but turns off data transmission. Don't ask me how to change modes though or how the system figures out which one to be in.

VAHE999

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Anybody can aswer my question?i have galaxy note 3...its not charging via usb...when i plug it into my pc the battery % goes down...try to factory reset....after reset it works fine,but when i try copy videofiles in my phone after copying videofiles the % goes down again...what happening?its like my phone dont like videofiles????SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
My AT&T Note 3 is charging using the OEM USB 3 cable and is doing so faster than with the USB 2 cable from my S4. Both using a Samsung OEM 2A output wall charger.

iPhone 5_to_GS4

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
My imac output is only 450mA just like all iPhone wall chargers.
Stock Samsung wall charger output is 1200mA.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

dt808

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Lol, I'm guessing he dislikes apple?! I've actually been a Windows guy my whole life, until this macbook. Thanks for the explanation!

To answer the other question, yes my laptop has 2 USB 3.0 ports. I have a USB 3.0 hard drive and it works as it should.

isaacjkim

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
You pretty much spent more time complaining about apple than answering the question. So in short, it wont charge on apple computers? Then why wont the note 3 charge on my friends PC w usb 3.0? Or any computer for that matter?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe it is the same issue, output amperage of the USB port on the computer. This is controlled by the computer not the USB port or the cable. Since it is the conventional portion of the USB 3.0 connector that is used for charging I am guessing your computer (no matter the OS or make) simply isn't putting out enough amperage. But I could be wrong, I have been wrong before, and it kind of feels like this;>)

C Friedman

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
So..

Looks like the USB 3 is for data transfers (after you turn USB 3 on once it's connected to your computer) and doesn't help charging speeds.

Partial evidence of this seems to be that the wall charger from Samsung is 2.1 amps, just like the one that come with the Note 2.

The Daily Note 2 & 3 YouTube Channel :cool::

Charging: Galaxy Note 3 Tips & Tricks Episode 14: Myth or Fact? Does the Galaxy Note 3 Charge Faster? - YouTube

Data Transfers:

Galaxy Note 3 Tips & Tricks Episode 6: How-To Enable USB 3.0 For 2x File Transfer Speed - YouTube

Hope this helps clear some things up.

Douglas Grimaldi

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Dude, you're an *****.

Macbook blows away any windows or android device and it's proven that to me time and time again. Why I made the decision to switch to this thing is beyond me, I must be an ***** as well...things either work well or they don't...and this Galaxy Note 3 doesn't even keep up with the 4s. It's been a pain in the *** from the start. And the Gear doesn't work well either. Really disappointed. No wonder ATT was giving away free tablets if I bought this.

How about a different angle, like the freaking POS Galaxy Note requires way more power than the Apple products (and that's a bad thing for you idiots out there). I've charged a variety of devices via my Macbooks USB over the last 5 years and haven't seen this issue with anything but this thing. And, by the way, the Macbook is faster than the Galaxy Note and it's 5+ years old...never had any maintenance done, ever.

Again, to be clear, young man you are an *****, and clearly have not owned an Apple product within the last 6-7 years.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't feel the need to call anyone names but Mac OS X mavericks is SO much better than windows OS it's not even funny.
I have Windows 8 bootcamped on my iMac right now. I like it, but it can't hold a candle to OSX. Neither can Win 7.
I think blind hate for a certain product for no other reason other than " I choose to hate this company " is the dumbest **** ever.
You can blame your hatred on the lawsuits and all the media hype BS but no company, including apple, has done a dam thing TO you.
The hatred for apple is just childish imo. That would be like Hating BMW because they drive a Lexus..(and never even tried a BMW) ignorant.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The poster was a troll. Had 2 posts back in October and has never come back. Obviously has no clue about MacBook's. Just a hater troll.

jabbathewocket

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes, "So" the thing you did wrong was to buy an Apple product to begin with, (yes, "Really".) but I won't RANT about that.

The reason your Apple laptop, or desktop, USB socket won't charge the Note 2 or Note 3 or only charges ALL devices slower, is because, like everything ELSE made by Apple, they made it proprietorial and they purposely refused to follow any and all, (Established for a REASON) Engineering Standards & Best Practices, in order to comply with their company creed: "make it different -worse".
Sorry, a RANT slipped out.

Anyway, the problem is the Amperage. Apple's USB 2.0 port will only supply 500mA (HALF an amp) to your phone, reason being, because it's a freaking Apple, (yes, "Really"). See, all other USB 2.0 ports, other than Apple's, will supply a Standard 500mA default, but the connected device is allowed to pull up to 900mA. If you connect a Note 2, or Note 3, to a PC's USB port, the phone will ask the USB port to deliver about 850mA, the USB port will comply, and the phone will often pay for dinner.

Your Note 2, and Note 3, intelligent electronics are actually asking your McApple computer the exact same thing, but as is the case with everything Apple, :::::coughincludingtheownerscough::::: it refuses to hear anything from any other source outside itself. Thus, even though the phone is not asking for anything special, "Come on, cough up 850mA, you've GOT IT RIGHT THERE, you're not even using it!" the McApple is saying, "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NO!!" (with an attitude of course).

Regarding USB 3.0 power, those specs are a LOT HIGHER, (like 4 whole amps higher) but, (need I say it again...) your Apple product is busy "thinking diferrent" (sic) and does not respect USB 3.0 specs, any more than it does USB 2.0 specs, or for that matter; you.

A USB 3.0 port on a McApple CAN and WILL supply higher amperage, by the way, but it won't. Why? You're not really asking that are you?

Because it's an UN-Apple device (the Samsung phone). The McApple will not listen to anything it has to say; but rather taunts the "outsider" device; it indicates to the electronics of the Samsung phone, that - yes - it IS connected to a USB 3.0 port, AND that it's GOT several extra amps lying about the living room carpet, but FACE PALMS the Samsung phone, and will STILL only put out half an amp!

"Wait!" you say? "Even if everything you've said thus far is true," Gasp!! "The Samsung phone is, after all, STILL getting half an amp! That's, at least, SOMETHING!"

Yes, it is.

The reason the Samsung phone won't charge, but will - in fact, (though more slowly) DISCHARGE, even while plugged into the half-assed, I mean half-amped McApple Anti-Standard "think diferrent" (sic) USB 3.0 port; is because of the spanking-new chemical composition in the types of batteries utilized in many of today's devices. (Relax, I'm not going to give details) Except, to say that these new battery formulations, unlike Nickle Cadmium or Lithium Ion...well, never mind.

Bottom Line: The new battery formulations require slower charging. What you're experiencing in the case of the Note 2, and Note 3, the charging is weaker than the Phone's actual needs, (we all have needs) compared to the power output that the (McApple is willing to do as a "HUGE FAVOR") USB port is giving out.

Resolutions:

1. Refuse to purchase another McProduct ever again (goes without saying).
2. Use the Samsung or other power adapters, including car cigarette lighter adapters, that specifically indicate "2.1 Amps Output", ("Oh stop, you don't owe us a thing!").
3. Turn the Note's power OFF, while charging, so that all the juice you're pushing in to the battery, doesn't leak out of the other side like an Olestra potato chip. (Frito-Lays Own Study: Olestra Causes "Anal Oil Leakage")

I think we've ALL learned something today; albeit probably not the same thing.

-RANT.com

Or it could be that Samsung in its infinite wisdom chose to disable the ability to "Charge" when connected to a PC and turn off data.. IE the device in question will only has 2 modes when connected to ANY PC or Laptop (regardless of who makes it) as if it was a standard USB device with camera or data mode.. they do not ever present as USB 3.0 Charge Only and disable data (needs to be set by the device)

Now more to the posters question: The reason your device is not appearing to charge when connected to your laptop is that if the device is "on" and you are in any way using it.. the flow rate of USB PC or Laptop Circuits cannot keep up with energy drain of the Note 3 when connected to that device (especially if you have settings like Screen On while charging enabled)..

Your best bet is to only charge the note 3 when connected to a wall charger (or use a charge only cable that does not have the data lines connected so that the samsung thinks it is connected to a wall charger (its best to NOT use this setup with an unknown PC or Laptop as most knockoff ports are not capable of charge only mode and could damage the device or the ports/motherboard of the device...)

Oddly enough despite the guy I am responding to ranting like a lunatic.. Apple is fairly good about making sure that its devices CAN deliver the power required to charge things properly as the iPad was one of the first devices to implement fast charge mode that was widely distributed and purchased by the mass market.. there are some issues with USB 2.0 ports on pre-iPad macs.. but this does not affect any USB 3.0 ports on any apple product at this time.

There are charge only adapters and devices out there.. I do not want to "suggest" any specifically but they are not hard to find (you can also look up how to do it yourself to a cable Google is your friend)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol