Note 3: Best Buy model had black SMS app.... where is it in settings?!!

Rattso2005

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased the at&t version yesterday. So far I am liking it however, one of the selling points for me was the black sms app I played with at my local best buy! To be clear I am not referring to the black background you can set once you are in the native sms messaging app, I am referring to the black view with white fonts on the main sms screen that lists out all of your messages. Anyone else's model missing this? That really looked nice in the store demo model IMO. I think its something the carrier opted not to do. Too bad... I may be missing where the setting is to enable this so if anyone has info on this please post your how-to.

Last edited by a moderator:

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: Best Buy model had black SMS app.... where is it in settings?!!

Do you know what carrier the model you played with was? On both the at&t S4 and Note 3 they have gone with white and like you I'd prefer the black.

Posted via Android Central App

Rattso2005

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Do you know what carrier the model you played with was? On both the at&t S4 and Note 3 they have gone with white and like you I'd prefer the black.

Well, good question. I went back by the BB this evening. The demo model they have on display has NO carrier branding on it. Seems to me this is the way it comes from Samsung yet the carrier has the choice the customize how they wish. Why!!!!?? How about giving the customer the option to choose which theme they want?!! No, that makes too much sense I guess. bleh!

capcom303

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

I don't have the same menu as that video but I can get to that change but it doesn't switch it to a black background on SMS. It's kind of brown

Rattso2005

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

Not what I was referring to, maybe that's what occurred to the one the op was using though. I have my doubts though.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

I bet the dialer app was black as well. This is how earlier Galaxies had it done before the S4. Maybe unbranded ones maintain that as well.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I haven't found any setting that jumps out at me. Maybe if you go to BB and try to take a picture of the mode you're referring to or some video?

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

If you go into the stock messaging app, and hit the menu key, a menu will come up, then click settings. Scroll down to display and select background style, then click on the black background. Then you will have a black background for your text messages.

Rattso2005

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

If you go into the stock messaging app, and hit the menu key, a menu will come up, then click settings. Scroll down to display and select background style, then click on the black background. Then you will have a black background for your text messages.

Yeah, I mentioned in my post this is not what I meant. :) Check out this link Samsung Galaxy Note 3 review: Jugger-note - GSMArena.com Scroll down to the messaging app, it has black theme. This is what I saw at the local best buy on the display model. It must be stock black themed but the carriers can change if they so desire.

Notrega

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I mentioned in my post this is not what I meant. :) Check out this link Samsung Galaxy Note 3 review: Jugger-note - GSMArena.com Scroll down to the messaging app, it has black theme. This is what I saw at the local best buy on the display model. It must be stock black themed but the carriers can change if they so desire.

I REALLY wished I had the option for a black theme...

Scribbled with my S-Pen

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Why don't you use the Chomp app for texts? That will give you pretty much every color option you could imagine.

sent from my Note 3

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

I've used 3rd party sms apps but now that I have the Galaxy Gear, I have to stick with the native sms app. It's the only one that allows for notifications on the watch.

Rattso2005

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Why don't you use the Chomp app for texts? That will give you pretty much every color option you could imagine.

sent from my Note 3

Yeah that is an option. My experience with non native SMS apps is there always seems to be some hiccup with them. Just my opinion.

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Yeah that is an option. My experience with non native SMS apps is there always seems to be some hiccup with them. Just my opinion.

The only hiccup I've found with Chomp is that group conversations are a bit messy. I switch back to stock app for group texting. Other than that, it's much better.

sent from my Note 3

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

The best buy model I seen was black screen also, I was happy to see they went back to black screen, then I get mine and it's white. So the op is not imagining things.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jonbo298

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

The best buy model I seen was black screen also, I was happy to see they went back to black screen, then I get mine and it's white. So the op is not imagining things.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That drives me nuts knowing that. I asked here a few days back and couldn't find an answer to change it. I hate the white background in the main Messaging area and on the dialer menu.

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

I agree. I really wish I could get black themes for both apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci