Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Video playback stutters on note 3

I've seen someone mentioning the same problem. Is my note 3 a lemon? Video playback is lagging worst than the snapdragon 600. Current on the att version note 3.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Video playback stutters on note 3

Welcome to the forums!

Have you tried a different video playing app?

All of a sudden I have started having the same problem. ..not sure of why. If I click play on a video on Facebook or any video in any other app it's hesitant and I have to press play a few times....If it even decides to play. Frustrating

Da NOTE 3!

Do you have the eye tracking on?
    I had this problem until I turned it off,
    In low light it Kept loosing my eyes and picking them up again

in app - Note3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by witelite View Post
    Do you have the eye tracking on?
    I had this problem until I turned it off,
    In low light it Kept loosing my eyes and picking them up again

in app - Note3

This. I turned it off and the stuttering stopped. It's a good idea, but maybe stability is a few software revs away.

Seems to happen exclusively to HD videos. I think playback has improved on mine, though.

mine has stated to stutter every 5-6 sec during video play back. It doesnt matter if the source is youtube/local/network they all stutter slighty every 5-6 seconds. Has anyone found a fix for this? I even factory reset my note 3 ATT and the stutter is still there.

update: i think i may have found a fix to the video stuttering problem. In developer options you have to enable the setting "FORCE GPU RENDERING". Once you have done that everything is buttery smooth. i tested videos from sources such as Youtube (using original stock app, no updates), PLEX via LTE and network. And large mkv local files 720p and 1080p with MX player free. Everything seems good so far.

to the people that have issues try it out and report back!

Good luck all.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by opnr2000 View Post
    update: i think i may have found a fix to the video stuttering problem. In developer options you have to enable the setting "FORCE GPU RENDERING". Once you have done that everything is buttery smooth. i tested videos from sources such as Youtube (using original stock app, no updates), PLEX via LTE and network. And large mkv local files 720p and 1080p with MX player free. Everything seems good so far.

to the people that have issues try it out and report back!

Good luck all.
    thank you!!! this works

Hi All,
    I'm having a similar problem with my new note 3 which is a little annoying!
    Video stored on the phone seems to work fine, but if I'm streaming then it stutters every few seconds. It's not the data connection as even if I let it download it all before I play it, I still get the problem. I wasn't sure if it was a problem with the videos embedded in the stock browser so I've tried Chrome as well but with the same issue.

So far I've tried the suggestions in this thread and also tried MX Player instead of the stock app but with no luck.

I've also noticed a slight 'jerkyness' even when navigating through my app list or between home screens. It's like it doesn't register the first 5mm of my finger (or s-pen) movement and then jumps to catch up. It's nothing major, but I was expecting it to glide nicely! I've upgraded from an HTC OneX and I didn't have these issues on that using the same wifi etc.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Stock kernel? I haven't used the stock kernel much. I haven't had any trouble with lean kernel or faux kernel with any type of video streaming. 1080 or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by randpost View Post
    Stock kernel? I haven't used the stock kernel much. I haven't had any trouble with lean kernel or faux kernel with any type of video streaming. 1080 or otherwise.
    Yes, sorry stock.

FORCEGPU works. finally. thank you

Hi, can you or anyone else please tell me where to find the developer options you mentioned Even my short little one minute videos I took are impossible to watch.
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Video playback stutters on note 3

Go to Settings/About phone..
    click on the Build Information panel several times until a pop-up comes stating that you are a Developer or something.
    Go back out, now there should be a new option above the About phone called 'Developer Options'.

New to android. But this sounds like it's forcing the graphics chip to run full speed at all times.
    Correct me if I'm wrong haha

Would this impact battery life?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

I have now tried this setting and youtube still has moments with hd video where it skips a couple of frames to catch up.
    Very hard to watch with fast paced music video etc.
    This is after 2 youtube updates in the play store and trying this "force gpu" setting.
    Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceEpyon View Post
    New to android. But this sounds like it's forcing the graphics chip to run full speed at all times.
    Correct me if I'm wrong haha

Would this impact battery life?

I think that sounds right and can't be a good long term solution.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Bump!!

Just saying I can't believe I have had 3 (I think) youtube updates since my last post and this is still an issue!!

Anyone else still have this issue?

It was my smart screen setting. Settings, display, smart screen. Turn off smart stay and smart pause. Video plays perfect now.
    anon8380037 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timrichards52@gmail.com View Post
    It was my smart screen setting. Settings, display, smart screen. Turn off smart stay and smart pause. Video plays perfect now.
    That stuff is already off.
    Wonder if I have a faulty one?
    It plays games and other media fine though. Just youtube skips on HD only.
    😭

I must be the only one still suffering from this
    Or
    Everyone else has given up caring haha

you are not the only one I have similar issue

video (especially HD) content played "streamed", Netflix, Sky Go etc - and I get stutter/video lags/catchups

yet local content - even at high bitrate 1080p, and Sky Go "downloaded" content - seems to be smooth as silk

so on my Note 3 it seems to not like decoding video at same time as receiving data via wifi etc

chipset limitation ? firmware issue ?
    PrinceEpyon likes this.

Guys -

I am experiencing the same issue and it's obviously frustrating to say the least.

Firstly, play-back lags/stutters when I have filmed something (and it also lags like hell on my macbook pro once I've transferred files to there)
    Secondly, when playing youtube videos via the pre-installed youtube app, regardless of connection being solid (Wifi/ H+ etc) the video will stop playing as if to suggest it is buffering still - even though I am playing via a superb wifi connection.

I have restored the phone many times and I don't have that much memory in use - nor am I using extenstion memory cards.

On my Galaxy Tab S, if I turn off video stabilization(in settings when using camera), all the choppiness instantly goes away. This is only for videos I am recording. All my previous videos were filled with stuttering.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast