Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Haalcyon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    I've basically decided that I want some kind of Samsung Galaxy Note device, but at this point I'm torn between getting the phone or the tablet (though I'm currently leaning towards the phone). I am currently in need of a new phone though (switching from the Galaxy Nexus).

    One of my priorities is being able to draw/paint/create things on the device, and second, because I am a student, I would love to be able to read comfortably on the device (everything that points to the getting a tablet side).

    My current options are to either simply get a Note 3 and no tablet at all, or to get both the 10.1 and some other (most likely smaller/more portable) phone. However, the price of the 10.1 makes me...to be honest...hurt, a lot.

    Therefore, would you say that the Note 3 can give a good enough experience of all my desired features? Or would you say to wait until the 10.1's price drops (whenever that is), or some other alternatives (please nothing about getting the older Note versions though)?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    the beauty of the Note 3 is that it will be with you 24/7. also - no extra cost for a tablet yet you get much of the same capability. go play in store with both - if the size works - i'd get the Note 3 and enjoy it.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    Dronak's Avatar

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    The Note 3 seems to be a comfortable middle level between smaller phones and larger tablets. I've thought about getting a tablet, but never thought the need was great enough to justify the cost. A big reason I got the Note 3 was its memory -- 32GB on board with a memory slot to expand it. But I also thought it might be able to offer tablet-like functionality in a smaller, more portable device. So far, I think it does. At least on my Sprint version, there's a SketchBook for Galaxy app that can be used for drawing and such. I'm not much of an artist, but it looks pretty advanced to me and has some connection with Autodesk (made by them, uses their engine, something like that). Reading on the Note 3 is generally comfortable, too. It certainly seems better than on phones with smaller screens. While a tablet might be nicer, since you get something closer to the size of a piece of paper, the Note 3 is pretty good -- I guess it's akin to reading on large-ish index cards. I suspect that getting just the Note 3 would work for you, but Gekko's got a good point -- you can go into a store and check them out to see what you think before you buy. I hope this is of some help.
  4. #4  
    TheMacs's Avatar

    Posts
    474 Posts
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Like the Note 3 a lot so far. No problems reading on it, though not for any substantial length of time. Spen stuff is pretty nice, but I'm only artistic to the point of stick figures. Too new for me to fully weigh in though. Gekko hit it - go test drive one and see if you'll be happy with it.

    Memory really shouldn't be an issue now with plenty of wifi available all over and cloud storage options.

    Good luck!
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Note 3 = Pocketable....... enough said.
  6. #6  
    ryanjma's Avatar

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Quote Originally Posted by UsedName View Post
    Note 3 = Pocketable....... enough said.
    Unless its really tight jeans or loose shorts...

    I'm semi joking, but whenever I wear baggy basketball shorts with my N3 i have this constant fear it will fall out.
  7. #7  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Having all members of the Samsung Trinity I'd say if you can only have one device make it the Note 3. However, its screen is not going to be nearly the canvas that the Note 10.1's is. Really drawing might feel odd on the Note 3. When I'm home I don't use my Note 3 for much of anything given that I prefer the larger, just as wonderful, screen of the 10.1. If fiscally constrained I'd consider getting the Optimus G Pro and the Note 10.1 (if buying on contract from AT&T anyways) as you could save $200 on the phone that could be applied to the 10.1. If you can swing having the Note 3 and the Note 10.1 that's the most desirable option, IMO, as you can have the thag great S-Pen features in whatever size suits you at the time. When the Note 8.0 gets refreshed this is going to be a tough question indeed. I'm currently on the fence as to whether or not to sell my Note 8.0 LTE as it only gets used at the office now and the Note 3 could handle its functions there.

    from my '14 Note 10.1
    Thanked by:
    21stNow likes this.
  8. #8  
    Mr Bigs's Avatar

    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    I guess I'm in the minority because I have both,the Note 10.1 for home and the Note 3 for on the go.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    I had the Note 2, now the Note 3, 8 and original 10.1. The 8 is used more than the 10.1 due to weight. I like each as each fills a particular niche.

    Via my Note 3
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.
  10. #10  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bigs View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority because I have both,the Note 10.1 for home and the Note 3 for on the go.
    A minority we are...but as folks absorb the awesomeness that is the Note 3 they may be moved to expand to the '14 Note 10.1 as well.

    from my '14 Note 10.1
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    A minority we are...but as folks absorb the awesomeness that is the Note 3 they may be moved to expand to the '14 Note 10.1 as well.

    from my '14 Note 10.1
    Yes, I'm on the fence. Now that I'm experiencing note 3 awesomeness my xoom isn't cutting it anymore....

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    I would say go with the Note 3.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    I guess it depends how you use your phone. I had and S4 and then got a Note 8 also. But I would always find myself just picking up my S4 to do the things I needed to do. I ended up selling both and buying my Note 3. It seems to combine the best of both worlds...
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Quote Originally Posted by leyshels View Post
    I've basically decided that I want some kind of Samsung Galaxy Note device, but at this point I'm torn between getting the phone or the tablet (though I'm currently leaning towards the phone). I am currently in need of a new phone though (switching from the Galaxy Nexus).

    One of my priorities is being able to draw/paint/create things on the device, and second, because I am a student, I would love to be able to read comfortably on the device (everything that points to the getting a tablet side).

    My current options are to either simply get a Note 3 and no tablet at all, or to get both the 10.1 and some other (most likely smaller/more portable) phone. However, the price of the 10.1 makes me...to be honest...hurt, a lot.

    Therefore, would you say that the Note 3 can give a good enough experience of all my desired features? Or would you say to wait until the 10.1's price drops (whenever that is), or some other alternatives (please nothing about getting the older Note versions though)?
    I dearly love my Note 3, but if I could wave a magic wand and put the features on my Note 10.1 and have both I would do that. I still reach for my 10.1 when I want to do a lot of reading or research on the web in spite of losing scrapbooking. If you think you'll enjoy multi-tasking, I think you might consider the new 10.1, it gives you more real estate to do all these wonderful fancy things.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Mmm I have both. I'd say go with the note 3. It won't be as comfortable as drawing on a 10.1 but you get definitely get some nice drawings with this. The plus for the note 3 is that it's more portable than a tablet. Like I didn't wanna carry my tablet on my small 45 min breaks (when I worked retail). Having the note phone would have been cool cause it will always be with you.

    Anyone know if the older 10.1 will be getting an upgrade to match the new one? I would love the newer S Note on my tablet
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  
    Haalcyon's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Valentin View Post
    Mmm I have both. I'd say go with the note 3. It won't be as comfortable as drawing on a 10.1 but you get definitely get some nice drawings with this. The plus for the note 3 is that it's more portable than a tablet. Like I didn't wanna carry my tablet on my small 45 min breaks (when I worked retail). Having the note phone would have been cool cause it will always be with you.

    Anyone know if the older 10.1 will be getting an upgrade to match the new one? I would love the newer S Note on my tablet
    I doubt it. Samsung doesn't want to give people reasons to not upgrade to their latest and greatest and if they give the older devices the features why would you upgrade to the newer devices?

    Nexus 7
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Totally understandable but here's to hoping ^_^;

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I doubt it. Samsung doesn't want to give people reasons to not upgrade to their latest and greatest and if they give the older devices the features why would you upgrade to the newer devices?

    Nexus 7
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    If you're a student who draws, you should probably get the Note 8 or 10.1 depending on your budget as these tablets will likely make you more productive than having a Note 3.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    A minority we are...but as folks absorb the awesomeness that is the Note 3 they may be moved to expand to the '14 Note 10.1 as well.

    from my '14 Note 10.1
    That's absolutely how I became a Note 10.1 owner!
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Getting a Note 3 vs. Note 10.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Valentin View Post
    Totally understandable but here's to hoping ^_^;
    You're right, you won't get everything. With the original Note, we got some of the bells but not the whistles. I never got the S pen alarm I wanted so badly, nor the multi-view screen. We did get updates to the software that was already on the original Note. And they fixed things that didn't quite work right in the beginning and gradually made them better than originally planned. I figured whatever was hardware dependent kept the updates from being too fancy. That's how I talked myself into upgrading to the 3 and not planning on upgrading to the new tablet.
    Thanked by:

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 10:47 PM
  2. Galaxy Note 3 - Vibrate pattern - email app
    By Sweeet1102 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 01:21 PM
  3. Verizon Note 3 Problems, not entirely pleased
    By mynewride in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 05:15 PM
  4. Top 10 Zombie Games
    By ohlad in forum The Gamer's Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 09:00 AM
  5. Samsung Note 3 Call Log Issue
    By eddytkwee in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 07:27 AM

Posting Permissions