Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default Note 3: touch screen problem when using S pen.

is anyone having this same problem???
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-09-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Default Re: touch screen problem when using S pen.

Nope not having that issue, Does it only do that in that program?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

in any situation, oddly, when i'm using my finger to draw, it doesnt seem to have this problem

That is one big, nice, dead circle... o_O

First, I'd ask the same as TeamPowerstroke: Does it only happen in that app, or does it happen everywhere? As in, if you have an icon in your homescreen right there, can you select it with the S-Pen? What about using your finger? Is that a dead spot for that, too? If it happens everywhere, I'd run to get a replacement ASAP.

You can, however, try checking if it is, indeed, a dead spot (and it helps to speed up warranty replacement if it is). Go into Settings, More, Developer Options (if you don't have them activated, do so by going into About Device and tapping the build number repeatedly until it's active). There you'll find a test mode that allows you to see the trace your finger or the S-Pen does on the screen. If the trace is interrupted on that spot, then it's 'dead'. If it isn't, then the hardware is fine, but you have a bigger issue with software.
    Thanked by:
    lindycu likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    That is one big, nice, dead circle... o_O

First, I'd ask the same as TeamPowerstroke: Does it only happen in that app, or does it happen everywhere? As in, if you have an icon in your homescreen right there, can you select it with the S-Pen? What about using your finger? Is that a dead spot for that, too? If it happens everywhere, I'd run to get a replacement ASAP.

You can, however, try checking if it is, indeed, a dead spot (and it helps to speed up warranty replacement if it is). Go into Settings, More, Developer Options (if you don't have them activated, do so by going into About Device and tapping the build number repeatedly until it's active). There you'll find a test mode that allows you to see the trace your finger or the S-Pen does on the screen. If the trace is interrupted on that spot, then it's 'dead'. If it isn't, then the hardware is fine, but you have a bigger issue with software.
    thanks for the help! i tried it. the traced is interrupted on that spot when ONLY using the pen...how odd

I stupidly opened the developer option how do I now remove that from my settings ? Thanks

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andyr3ad View Post
    I stupidly opened the developer option how do I now remove that from my settings ? Thanks

Posted via Android Central App
    i think there's turn off option on the top at the right corner, and i don't think i will affect you lol

Remember that SPen-enabled phones actually have two layers of 'sensors': One for your finger and one with Wacom's technology for the S-Pen. If you see a 'dead' spot just for the S-Pen, that means the Wacom layer is defective. HOWEVER, I believe there's an option to 'calibrate' S-Input sensitivity, I just can't remember where it was on my old Note 2... It might help if there's a way to re-calibrate, and maybe that would clear the issue (But don't get your hopes up, it does look a lot like defective hardware).

As for disabling Developer Options, yes, there's an On-Off switch in there, but if you want to remove it entirely (as in not see it anymore), you can go into your Applications Manager, find the "All" tab, find the "Settings" entry and clear cache and data from it. WARNING: I'm not sure if this will actually reset all your system settings like ringtones, notification sounds, and such. Individual app settings (such as GMail Notification Sound) should not be affected.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Remember that SPen-enabled phones actually have two layers of 'sensors': One for your finger and one with Wacom's technology for the S-Pen. If you see a 'dead' spot just for the S-Pen, that means the Wacom layer is defective. HOWEVER, I believe there's an option to 'calibrate' S-Input sensitivity, I just can't remember where it was on my old Note 2... It might help if there's a way to re-calibrate, and maybe that would clear the issue (But don't get your hopes up, it does look a lot like defective hardware).

As for disabling Developer Options, yes, there's an On-Off switch in there, but if you want to remove it entirely (as in not see it anymore), you can go into your Applications Manager, find the "All" tab, find the "Settings" entry and clear cache and data from it. WARNING: I'm not sure if this will actually reset all your system settings like ringtones, notification sounds, and such. Individual app settings (such as GMail Notification Sound) should not be affected.

Guess it's just me having this problem
    I'll return it tmr

Quote Originally Posted by arken21 View Post

For my first Note, I had a flip cover with a magnet catch. It did exactly what it's doing on the video about 90 percent of the time. I was getting it ready to take into AT&T and drew a bunch of lines all over the note and realized that it was really in one place on the screen. It seemed to me it would happen anywhere on the note, but it was the screen that caused it and it was just that I was moving/zooming the "paper". It was one place, it was a circle just a bit larger than the round magnet that lay on top of several layers of material and probably a steel plate. I took out the magnet and attached velcro. It still happened occasionally but got less and less often until about six months later I realized it wasn't happening at all any more. No magnet is ever getting near either of my Notes ever again!
    Thanked by:
    Gbsa 

remove the case you have and try to change the pen needle ?

I also thought that i had a blind spot. My phone has a pattern lock and one of the points was in that blind spot. I also had regularly draw my pattern wrong.
    Then I start searching and found this topic. I have also problem at the same spot (at right side, middle).
    Using fingers is not a problem and pressing hard on the stylus does draw a line.
    I almost return my phone for repair until I also remove my case; it is a flip-case with a magnet for closing and holding the cover (not a smart view).
    Once I remove the case, my problem is solved.

Thanks

I had the same problem but the funny thing is if I remove it from the case the pen works in all spots but if I put it back on the case I will have the O spot back. So try removing the case and see it it will work for you.

bob

I have the same exact issue in the same exact spot on the note 3 in the same app you can even see the little indicator thing for when the pen is hovering over an area is bugging out and bouncing around. It does this for me in all apps I've used to draw including the action memo and snap chat.

I need help with my new note 3. D s pen didnt work at the lower bottom of right side. after removing d casing, it seemdd to work well. But i realise its just that d effected area oni grew smallet...but its still there😭wat do i do

Did your try to replace the S-Pen tip with the extra ones that came in the box?
    On the Note 2, there were others having issues with their S-Pen and a few love taps (tapping the pen on a hard table) seemed to "wake it up"; where it was functioning normally again.

Note 3: touch screen problem when using S pen.-2013-12-31-17.15.28.png

I have the same problem i believe......did you manage to solve it?

Try going into settings>General>application manager>All> then find all apps you use with S-pen and clear cache and data.

Then go into S-pen under controls and toggle them on and off.

I wonder if some of the advanced functions such as air gesture and air view are messing with it?
    Note 3 / Note 2 / S4 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G2

Yes as a I got the same problem it's the magnet in the cover when I bought note 3 I suddenly found that problem n returned back to the shop to change it with another one n I did... then return back home n I found the same problem I thought that there is something in the settings but finally I realized that it's the magnet of the same cover that I have in the both phones

Yessss.. i was having the same problem with my new note 3.. having a blind spot at the middle right of the phone .. thinking its broken and i was about to return it for replacement.. but then i googled it looking for solution.. it gave me the link to this forum .. lucky me im not the only one too.. so i removed the case and happly it turned out to be the magnet of the case .. now i can use the s pen every where in the screen with out having a blind spot or shaky area in the screen.. thank u guys for bringing the issue up.
    Thanked by:
    adnilz 

Yup. Cases reviews on Amazon attest to that.

Posted on my N9005 via Android Central App
    I am

I have the opposite of the problem you guys are discussing. My Note 3 touch screen wont respond to the finger but works with the S pen. I had it reformated (or whatever you call it) and it worked but then the same problem came back. right now it only works with S pen. What to do, what to do!!!

Hi! I'm so happy to find this thread. I have the same problem and I don't know what to do about it. I have been changing Phones 4 times now and they all have had the same problem (the store say I'm the only one who had returned the phone with this problem). When I'm using my fingers it's working but with the pen it's not ...

Thumbs up Re: touch screen problem when using S pen.

Same problem. Looks like the magnetic closure on the case. I have a Note 3 with a Case Mate Slim Folio Case. The dead spot is exactly where the magnetic closure goes. It only affects the S-pen in that spot, not use of a finger. Getting a case without a magnet, and hope it clears up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast