Note 3 or nexus 5

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Just sold my htc one and was looking into these two phones one is released and one any day soon what you guys think would be a good choice? not bothered about size i had a note 2 for a while

john248

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
These are 2 phones on the complete opposite sides of the spectrum (aside from comparing an Android to an iPhone). You have one that is a phablet, has an stylus with unique features, and has Touchwhiz overlayed. Then you have another which is more 'normal' sized with a vanilla Android installed. This is about as pure of a ... well you're going to have to decide for yourself ... as it's going to get as it's not like this is a comparison between a GS4 and a One ... or a GN3 or One Maxx.

madsere

May 13, 2010
Visit site
These are 2 phones on the complete opposite sides of the spectrum (aside from comparing an Android to an iPhone). You have one that is a phablet, has an stylus with unique features, and has Touchwhiz overlayed. Then you have another which is more 'normal' sized with a vanilla Android installed. This is about as pure of a ... well you're going to have to decide for yourself ... as it's going to get as it's not like this is a comparison between a GS4 and a One ... or a GN3 or One Maxx.

Is touchwiz meant to be an advantage? I have a note 2 and the first thing I installed was Nova, to avoid looking at the garish Samsung interface. Of course I haven't seen it yet but I strongly expect to switch to a Nexus 5 when available.

john248

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Is touchwiz meant to be an advantage? I have a note 2 and the first thing I installed was Nova, to avoid looking at the garish Samsung interface. Of course I haven't seen it yet but I strongly expect to switch to a Nexus 5 when available.

Who said it was an advantage? I was merely listing differences. Read carefully. Kthxbye

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
To many no. It has its pros and cons. It doesn't bother me really. I do believe though if you feel a need to do everything you can to remove it, get a different phone.

Google experience devices are nice though. The feeling of complete control over the experience is nice. I love my GED Nexus 10.

Posted via Android Central App

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
OP asked what would be a good choice. They're both good choices but serve different purposes and for this reason I'm getting both.

p.s... that's Mr. Daddy Warbucks to you sir :p

not everyone is daddy warbuck

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
In for both.

I may have three (have the LG G2 & Note 3) if Apple fails to release a Retina iPad mini. If the rumours price below $400, I would pick up the nexus 5.

Seriously, if the size and cost is not a problem I would get the Note 3. S-Pen is amazing, very useful and you have the option of a microSD & removable/replaceable battery.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The N5 is sure to be a fine phone when it is announced but it will be a very different kind of phone from the Note 3. I love the Nexus line but I'm also a Samsung fanboy and I say bah humbug to Google's theory that we don't need microSD support when we can just use the Cloud (sorry, but mobile data ain't that cheap yet Google) for everything. Also putting microSD card in new phone > downloading everything all over again on new phone.

If the s-pen and form factor aren't sellers for you though, the Note 3 might not be the phone worth looking at. The size is a con for many people who would prefer a smaller phone so if you're looking to just pick up the phone with the fanciest tech (that's def the Note 3 right now) make sure you are happy with the screen size.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
tnx guys for ur reply's im edging towards n3 spec wise is there gonna be huge difference with nexus5 and last thing how soon would n3 get 4.4 kitkat?

Well, it took samsung 6 month to update GS3, and GS4 is still not updated to 4.3 yet.

If latest OS is most important, Nexus would be the best bet.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen much in the leaks for the next Nexus that makes me think I want it. I do like the size of the Note 3, and it has Super AMOLED instead of LCD, which I prefer. Not sure which way to go either.

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
vegaryjy.jpg

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I was making the same decision last year regarding the Nexus 4 and the Note 2. I ended up getting both, but if I had to choose one with the knowledge that I have now about the experience with both devices I would have just gone with the Note 2 and not have bothered with the Nexus 4. I know that people love the vanilla experience that the Nexus line brings, but vanilla Android is missing a lot of features that the OEM skins provide. The Note 2 was just a way better phone in my opinion. So to answer the OP's question, I would get the Note 3

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

ryanjma

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I was making the same decision last year regarding the Nexus 4 and the Note 2. I ended up getting both, but if I had to choose one with the knowledge that I have now about the experience with both devices I would have just gone with the Note 2 and not have bothered with the Nexus 4. I know that people love the vanilla experience that the Nexus line brings, but vanilla Android is missing a lot of features that the OEM skins provide. The Note 2 was just a way better phone in my opinion. So to answer the OP's question, I would get the Note 3

Might be a dumb question but I was thinking about getting both as well. Did you end up using both of them? Or one more than the other?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Might be a dumb question but I was thinking about getting both as well. Did you end up using both of them? Or one more than the other?

I started with the Note 2, then I bought the Nexus 4, After a Couple of months I went back to the Note 2. So I have had experience with both, but I was using one or the other exclusively when I had it. If I had both at the same time I probably would have used the Nexus for about two days before going back to the Note. I'm not saying that the Nexus is a bad phone. It was definitely one of the best smartphones last year. But it wasn't as good and versatile as the Note 2.