Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3 or nexus 5

Just sold my htc one and was looking into these two phones one is released and one any day soon what you guys think would be a good choice? not bothered about size i had a note 2 for a while

Default Re: Note 3 or nexus 5

Seeing how the Nexus 5 hasn't been announced yet, I would go with the Note 3.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
    Johnly, crester and 21stNow like this.

These are 2 phones on the complete opposite sides of the spectrum (aside from comparing an Android to an iPhone). You have one that is a phablet, has an stylus with unique features, and has Touchwhiz overlayed. Then you have another which is more 'normal' sized with a vanilla Android installed. This is about as pure of a ... well you're going to have to decide for yourself ... as it's going to get as it's not like this is a comparison between a GS4 and a One ... or a GN3 or One Maxx.

No removable Battery, no deal

on GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
    the_stig#WN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by john248 View Post
    These are 2 phones on the complete opposite sides of the spectrum (aside from comparing an Android to an iPhone). You have one that is a phablet, has an stylus with unique features, and has Touchwhiz overlayed. Then you have another which is more 'normal' sized with a vanilla Android installed. This is about as pure of a ... well you're going to have to decide for yourself ... as it's going to get as it's not like this is a comparison between a GS4 and a One ... or a GN3 or One Maxx.
    Is touchwiz meant to be an advantage? I have a note 2 and the first thing I installed was Nova, to avoid looking at the garish Samsung interface. Of course I haven't seen it yet but I strongly expect to switch to a Nexus 5 when available.

Quote Originally Posted by madsere View Post
    Is touchwiz meant to be an advantage? I have a note 2 and the first thing I installed was Nova, to avoid looking at the garish Samsung interface. Of course I haven't seen it yet but I strongly expect to switch to a Nexus 5 when available.
    Who said it was an advantage? I was merely listing differences. Read carefully. Kthxbye

To many no. It has its pros and cons. It doesn't bother me really. I do believe though if you feel a need to do everything you can to remove it, get a different phone.

Google experience devices are nice though. The feeling of complete control over the experience is nice. I love my GED Nexus 10.

Posted via Android Central App
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Both.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

Quote Originally Posted by munnarg View Post
    Both.
    not everyone is daddy warbuck
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

OP asked what would be a good choice. They're both good choices but serve different purposes and for this reason I'm getting both.

p.s... that's Mr. Daddy Warbucks to you sir

Quote Originally Posted by dubge View Post
    not everyone is daddy warbuck
    Last edited by munnarg; 10-16-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    festinator likes this.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

ah good point, you got me there lol

Quote Originally Posted by munnarg View Post
    OP asked what would be a good choice. They both good choices but serve different purposes. As such I'm getting both. And that's Mr. Daddy Warbucks to you sir
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

In for both.

I may have three (have the LG G2 & Note 3) if Apple fails to release a Retina iPad mini. If the rumours price below $400, I would pick up the nexus 5.

Seriously, if the size and cost is not a problem I would get the Note 3. S-Pen is amazing, very useful and you have the option of a microSD & removable/replaceable battery.

Global Posts
    526 Global Posts

The N5 is sure to be a fine phone when it is announced but it will be a very different kind of phone from the Note 3. I love the Nexus line but I'm also a Samsung fanboy and I say bah humbug to Google's theory that we don't need microSD support when we can just use the Cloud (sorry, but mobile data ain't that cheap yet Google) for everything. Also putting microSD card in new phone > downloading everything all over again on new phone.

If the s-pen and form factor aren't sellers for you though, the Note 3 might not be the phone worth looking at. The size is a con for many people who would prefer a smaller phone so if you're looking to just pick up the phone with the fanciest tech (that's def the Note 3 right now) make sure you are happy with the screen size.
    zr2s10 likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

tnx guys for ur reply's im edging towards n3 spec wise is there gonna be huge difference with nexus5 and last thing how soon would n3 get 4.4 kitkat?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Bubblles View Post
    tnx guys for ur reply's im edging towards n3 spec wise is there gonna be huge difference with nexus5 and last thing how soon would n3 get 4.4 kitkat?
    Well, it took samsung 6 month to update GS3, and GS4 is still not updated to 4.3 yet.

If latest OS is most important, Nexus would be the best bet.
    21stNow likes this.

I haven't seen much in the leaks for the next Nexus that makes me think I want it. I do like the size of the Note 3, and it has Super AMOLED instead of LCD, which I prefer. Not sure which way to go either.

crester likes this.

I was making the same decision last year regarding the Nexus 4 and the Note 2. I ended up getting both, but if I had to choose one with the knowledge that I have now about the experience with both devices I would have just gone with the Note 2 and not have bothered with the Nexus 4. I know that people love the vanilla experience that the Nexus line brings, but vanilla Android is missing a lot of features that the OEM skins provide. The Note 2 was just a way better phone in my opinion. So to answer the OP's question, I would get the Note 3

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I was making the same decision last year regarding the Nexus 4 and the Note 2. I ended up getting both, but if I had to choose one with the knowledge that I have now about the experience with both devices I would have just gone with the Note 2 and not have bothered with the Nexus 4. I know that people love the vanilla experience that the Nexus line brings, but vanilla Android is missing a lot of features that the OEM skins provide. The Note 2 was just a way better phone in my opinion. So to answer the OP's question, I would get the Note 3

Might be a dumb question but I was thinking about getting both as well. Did you end up using both of them? Or one more than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjma View Post
    Might be a dumb question but I was thinking about getting both as well. Did you end up using both of them? Or one more than the other?
    I started with the Note 2, then I bought the Nexus 4, After a Couple of months I went back to the Note 2. So I have had experience with both, but I was using one or the other exclusively when I had it. If I had both at the same time I probably would have used the Nexus for about two days before going back to the Note. I'm not saying that the Nexus is a bad phone. It was definitely one of the best smartphones last year. But it wasn't as good and versatile as the Note 2.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Is anyone actually planning on getting both devices to use at the same time? Not sure if people have stick to one phone for work and one phone for personal use.

Sold my HTC One... Got the Note 3... Loving it! .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjma View Post
    Is anyone actually planning on getting both devices to use at the same time? Not sure if people have stick to one phone for work and one phone for personal use.
    I am planning on it. I had the Nexus 4/Note II and the Galaxy Nexus/original Note; I don't plan to stop now! I like each device for its strengths. However, what's missing on one device doesn't fall into a weakness category for me. They are just different and I like both.

I'm a multi-device person and they are all for personal use, primarily.

Nexus devices are very good bang for the buck. But the lack of the SD card and swappable battery killed them for me. I need the extra versatility. The bonus of the Note3 feature set is worth the price imho.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

gonna go for the black one should i get screen protector and case for it?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast