Anyone know how can I remove the Flipboard "System App" please?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
That's no different than disabling the double press to open S Voice.

Simple fact of the matter is:

1. You cannot "Disable" Flipboard
2. You cannot "Disable" My Magazine
3. You cannot "Uninstall" either of those without Rooting your phone.

The End.

Lastly, Flipboard is not useful if you use Google Play Newsstand for the same functionality. It's nothing but yet another News Reader application with a different user interface, but redundant functionality to what Newsstand offers. I personally use Flipboard, someone else may just want to use the Google app and disable Flipboard because it's not used. Two reasons why I personally don't think this is a big deal (I have never seen Flipboard show "obscene content" BTW, but then again that is subjective):

A. Flipboard is a pretty tiny application, and
B. It doesn't run in the background unless you set it to Auto-Refresh

Hide the Application or put it in a Folder and just don't use it. It should not bother you.

No different than a default app that goes unused on any other OS. I think people overreact to most "bloatware."

And I do agree that it's a pretty poor policy to not allow people to disable that app. It was certainly possible on every other Samsung device it came pre-installed on (but those didn't have My Magazine).

wendy5001

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately Nova launcher disables things like being able to see how many texts or emails you have. Otherwise I love it but that was a deal breaker for me.

Actually that's incorrect, add TeslaUnread and you will see your unread texts and emails. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

oOOOo

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Was turning off FLIPBOARD only to have it reappear. Repeatedly. But it looked like SAMSUNG APPS was putting it back - not the PLAY STORE. So I dug into SAMSUNG APPS. There is an option to not automatically update apps which looked promising. But I was a little perturbed by this time, so (after research failed to turn up any red flags) I turned off SAMSUNG APPS via home ... left key ... settings ... more ... application manager ... swipe to ALL column ... select SAMSUNG APPS ... Force Stop (ok) ... Turn Off (ok) ... uncheck Show Notifications (ok). I did do a reboot - which I think was when SAMSUNG APPS repopulated stuff I had killed. So far so good. Probably until the next OTA anyway. Looking at a few more "S" apps to kill. But I'll wait a while rather than kill a buttload then wonder what messed stuff up.

(This was on an S4. I *think* it applies. I do realize this is under the Note 3 header. Certainly some folks on this thread were walking the same path with me relative to FLIPBOARD - and the hardware is closely related. Only place I found a good match on the FLIPBOARD issue. So ... thought I'd share what appears to be a good result. Hopefully, respectfully, not violating device thread purity all that much.)

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Flipboard and My Magazine don't bother me.

They may bother Swipe typers, but I don't and I never need to swipe upward in the homescreen.
Flipboard notification is off, (true thats all you can do in App Info 'cos it'll come back) and has only 12kb of cache -
My Magazine has only 280kb in storage.

No battery, cpu or data hogging.

I was nervous of both at first as I was on limited data. I may use it more. Currently it's asking me to log in, so that's good!
pujapenu.jpg

ru9a2y9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

bobatolmsted

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Choose a home screen without Flipboard. Pinch the screen and hold until the edit screen comes up. Grab the Flipboard icon and move it to the trash can at the top center of the screen. When asked if you want to delete it click yes. It takes about 30 seconds.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Choose a home screen without Flipboard. Pinch the screen and hold until the edit screen comes up. Grab the Flipboard icon and move it to the trash can at the top center of the screen. When asked if you want to delete it click yes. It takes about 30 seconds.

That does not uninstall it or disable it. It just deletes the icon from your homescreen.

bobatolmsted

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone know how can I remove the Flipboard "System App" please?

For a Tab 3, go to page 23 of the manual Adding and Removing Home Screen Panels. Follow the instructions. You don't have to disable Flipboard since you can trash and delete it. It won't come back unless you reinstall it. Trust me, I just did it. It took about 30 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

So what? I haven't seen it since.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

For a Tab 3, go to page 23 of the manual Adding and Removing Home Screen Panels. Follow the instructions. You don't have to disable Flipboard since you can trash and delete it. It won't come back unless you reinstall it. Trust me, I just did it. It took about 30 seconds.

I have no idea about a Tab 3, but this is the Note 3 forum, and you can trust me, it will not work on a Note 3.

Rubus Roo

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

It just re-activates itself when you reboot like the rest of Samsung's installed software. I have learned to live with it.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Can somebody give me an idea which Samsung apps aren't really necessary? I don't want to turn something off I actually want. hard to tell what some of these are used for.

Johnhblauw

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
It can't be removed but I just disabled it. As someone else mentioned. enter settings, application manager, click on all at the top of screen, scroll down to flipboard, click on disable. I am yet to find out if this has any adverse effects. Good luck.
:mad:

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It can't be removed but I just disabled it. As someone else mentioned. enter settings, application manager, click on all at the top of screen, scroll down to flipboard, click on disable. I am yet to find out if this has any adverse effects. Good luck.
:mad:

Either you don't have a Note 3 or you are rooted. This had been discussed to death.

surrealchereal

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps I'm missing what you're referring to, but I don't see anything earlier in the thread that discusses being unable to disable Flipboard--only being unable to uninstall it. In the Settings>Apps menu of stock Android, if you select a preinstalled app, I'm not aware of a "Turn off" button. It's either Uninstall, Uninstall All Updates, or Disable. It's true that certain system apps and bloatware won't allow the user to Disable them (Verizon's Backup Assistant Plus comes to mind), but it seems quite odd to me that Flipboard cannot be Disabled. Of course, I don't have a Note 3 myself, so I can't say for sure.
Yep this one has a turn off button, and its greyed out. I rolled back the updates as suggested and forced it to quit. It didn't work, the app is still there, but now it doesn't show up under my applications manager :p

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That previous comment of mine was before I realized that Samsung uses a different terminology that most other Android manufacturers ("Turn Off" instead of "Disable"). If the Turn Off or Disable button is greyed out, then for whatever reason, the system or app simply isn't allowing it. It might be too closely integrated into the My Magazine feature for the system to allow it to be turned off.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
If you root, you can freeze it with Titanium Backup. I realize that doesn't solve everyone's issues, but it worked for me. And I actually have a Note 3 so I'm typing from experience, not just guessing.

Allen Sash

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
There's no way to completely "disable" Flipboard on Galaxy Note 3. It will only be disabled temporarly until it updates again then it will be "enabled" once again. No matter how many times you disable it, once it updates it will be "enabled" everytime. I know because I go through this all the time, it's frustrating.