Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 2 > Note 3

For all the little things Samsung got right with the Note 3, two major things wrong:

First, the camera on the Note 2 in low light setting takes better pictures than the Note 3 in any setting or with the aid of any app. If you disagree, you don't have experience taking photos with the Note 2's low-light setting.

Second, you can't stream music via Chromecast from the Note 3 with the screen off. It will disconnect. I listen to my music at home primarily through Chromecast, so this is a deal killer.

Just about everything else is better about the Note 3, but it's not enough. I've found work arounds with the Note 3's camera settings to make it the best it can be. But, unless I can find a solution to the Chromecast problem within my 15 day window, I'll be returning my Note 3 and reactivating my Note 2.

It's too bad. I otherwise really like the Note 3. My 3rd party accessories haven't even arrived from China yet. Oops.

sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

Default Re: Note 2 > Note 3

#1 I don't care about that much.

#2 I so can.. I stream Google music to my TV when cleaning the house.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:
    sixxdv22 and Gadgetdude like this.

Except very few people care that much about these two difference.

But good for you for reminding us

@T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
    Thanked by 2:
    TeamPowerstroke likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    #1 I don't care about that much.

#2 I so can.. I stream Google music to my TV when cleaning the house.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    You're the first person I've read that can use Chromecast with the Note 3 with the screen turned off. I was thinking it was a software glitch. Maybe I'll try a replacement Note 3 and see how it does.

sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

No one cares.

Chromecast works fine, must be your issue.

Don't disagree about the camera in low light but since this is simply a software feature in the Note 2, and Samsung had been fairly criticized for its absence, I'm hopeful that this will be addressed via an update or by a third party camera app.

Not sure you need to justify your buyers remorse by reaching so deep to find faults. Just return it and go back to last year's model.
    cg101 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by john248 View Post
    No one cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by runamuck0870 View Post
    Chromecast works fine, must be your issue.

Don't disagree about the camera in low light but since this is simply a software feature in the Note 2, and Samsung had been fairly criticized for its absence, I'm hopeful that this will be addressed via an update or by a third party camera app.

Not sure you need to justify your buyers remorse by reaching so deep to find faults. Just return it and go back to last year's model.
    Actually, I've read a few threads of people having the same issue with the Note 3 and Chromecast.

Who is your carrier? Are you rooted?

sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraHead View Post
    For all the little things Samsung got right with the Note 3, two major things wrong:

First, the camera on the Note 2 in low light setting takes better pictures than the Note 3 in any setting or with the aid of any app. If you disagree, you don't have experience taking photos with the Note 2's low-light setting.

Second, you can't stream music via Chromecast from the Note 3 with the screen off. It will disconnect. I listen to my music at home primarily through Chromecast, so this is a deal killer.

Just about everything else is better about the Note 3, but it's not enough. I've found work arounds with the Note 3's camera settings to make it the best it can be. But, unless I can find a solution to the Chromecast problem within my 15 day window, I'll be returning my Note 3 and reactivating my Note 2.

It's too bad. I otherwise really like the Note 3. My 3rd party accessories haven't even arrived from China yet. Oops.

sent from my Note 3
    Chromecast??? Never heard of it!! Lovin the Note 3 like crazy..

Just about everything else is better about the Note 3, but it's not enough. I've found work arounds with the Note 3's camera settings to make it the best it can be.
    I'm still getting used to the camera on mine, and most of my projected use of it will be in normal to bright conditions. But I would be interested if you feel like posting links for those work arounds.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Quinn View Post
    I'm still getting used to the camera on mine, and most of my projected use of it will be in normal to bright conditions. But I would be interested if you feel like posting links for those work arounds.
    Yes. Here is my post on the subject from a different thread.

Stock Camera vs 3rd Party Apps

Having had more time with the Note 3, I've experimented with a number of 3rd party camera apps and found none of them are consistently better than the stock camera. In fact, some have created archiving problems for the photos which confused my phone - the photo I would click in the camera app would be 15 or so down from the photo displayed. This problem seems to have been resolved by my deleting all the third party app folders.

Note 2 vs Note 3

Low Light: In my opinion the Note 3 will not perform as well as the Note 2 in low light conditions. The best setting for the Note 3 in low light is Auto with stabilization on, obviously. Its low light photos are not as crisp as the Note 2's (with low light setting), but one could argue they are more natural looking.

Medium light: In regular indoor medium lighting conditions, I think the best setting for the Note 3 is HDR. Comparing the Note 3 in HDR to the Note 2 in low light setting (I would recommend the Note 2's low light setting in all but the brightest conditions), I would probably give the advantage to the Note 2, but only slightly.

Motion shots: HDR is not designed to capture movement. Set your camera to Auto. Neither Note camera fairs particularly well capturing motion shots.

Bright outdoor light: Both Note cameras perform very well in bright conditions and can capture amazing shots. I tend to shoot in HDR outdoors with the Note 3 unless there is movement in which case I'll switch to Auto. I can't tell much difference between the Note 2 and Note 3 outdoors. Both are great.

Advantages of Note 3 camera over Note 2: The most obvious advantage I see in the Note 3 camera compared to the Note 2 is the ability to shoot in 16:9. A second advantage, and I'm not sure of this because my experience with the Note 3 is limited, but it seems the Note 3 may shoot better pics while the video is running. I shot some pics with video over the weekend with the Note 3 and was impressed. In my experience, the Note 2's video pics are generally unimpressive unless you are in very bright light. Lastly, there is a neat edit function on the Note 3 that can be used when you scroll through your photos in the landscape position. I've found the auto color enhancement to work very well in sharpening photos.

All in all, I'm disappointed with the Note 3 camera but can live with it. It's not all bad. Using the HDR setting has really helped a lot.

sent from my Note 3
    sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

When the newer version is not 100% improvement over the previous one it makes things hard.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    NOVA launcher X 10^-99999999999999 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TurboWiz
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone 5_to_GS4 View Post
    When the newer version is not 100% improvement over the previous one it makes things hard.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    And in the case of the Note 3, these are not only not improvements - they are steps backwards.

sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

sent from my Note 3
    Yawn and bye.
    ZarathustraHead likes this.

Global Posts
    10,406 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

The verge> this silly thread.

The verge gave a good review of the note 3 camera. Yes it is a big improvement over the note 2 and somewhat over the s4. Yes low light pics are not the *best* but overall if you live in the real world and take pics[are not a vampire] when you are awake, the note 3 camera actually produces some phenomenal shots for a cell phone camera. For social media and the family quick pic, I can't be happier with this camera. It is fast and just works. Having the note 2 and three, the note 3 does indeed take better pictures overall.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:
    fantom305 and tippmann15 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz118 View Post
    Yawn and bye.
    1+ and tell him to close the door on the way out too..
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    The verge> this silly thread.

The verge gave a good review of the note 3 camera. Yes it is a big improvement over the note 2 and somewhat over the s4. Yes low light pics are not the *best* but overall if you live in the real world and take pics[are not a vampire] when you are awake, the note 3 camera actually produces some phenomenal shots for a cell phone camera. For social media and the family quick pic, I can't be happier with this camera. It is fast and just works. Having the note 2 and three, the note 3 does indeed take better pictures overall.

Many people look to others for their opinions. Others manage to form their own.

But indeed I am a vampire so I need a good low light camera.

sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu 
    rdubmu likes this.

Global Posts
    10,406 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Many people look to others for their opinions. Others manage to form their own.

But indeed I am a vampire so I need a good low light camera.

sent from my Note 3
    HDR mode will take some decent low light pics.....not the best but certainly better than letting auto take them. I have some vampire friends so I understand, maybe a update sammy? I friggen love how detailed some of my shots have been coming out. A noticeable jump in quality from the note 2. Update the vampires sammy! I can't look at my note 2 screen. The lower resolution kills me and makes my pics look uncrisp.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

HDR mode will take some decent low light pics.....not the best but certainly better than letting auto take them. I have some vampire friends so I understand, maybe a update sammy? I friggen love how detailed some of my shots have been coming out. A noticeable jump in quality from the note 2. Update the vampires sammy! I can't look at my note 2 screen. The lower resolution kills me and makes my pics look uncrisp.

HDR takes decent mid light photos and horrible low light photos. None will rival the Note 2's now legendary low light setting.

sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

Global Posts
    10,406 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

HDR takes decent mid light photos and horrible low light photos. None will rival the Note 2's now legendary low light setting.

sent from my Note 3
    What's the point of a legendary low light setting on a subpar screen.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

What's the point of a legendary low light setting on a subpar screen.

Good photos?

sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

Global Posts
    10,406 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Good photos?

sent from my Note 3
    Photos look much better on the note 3. Have em both and have been using then side by side. Low light is better on the note 2 because if a software setting. Nothing the hardware on the note 3 *can't* do that I am aware of.

Global Posts
    10,406 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

The note 2 is a great device. I can understand why one would want to see it through another year....cheers.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Low light is better on the note 2 because if a software setting.
    I don't know if it's software, but we agree the Note 2 takes better photos.

sent from my Note 3
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

Global Posts
    10,406 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I don't know if it's software, but we agree the Note 2 takes better photos.

sent from my Note 3
    Not even close. The note 3 takes better pictures overall I think and from what I see from the two blown up on my pc. Day pics note 3. Night pics note 2. Overall, note 3. Hopefully the vampires can join us sans a software update for the note 3.

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

Note 2 had "legendary" low light camera? Realy?

Posted via Android Central App
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness
    rdubmu likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast