Best car dock for Note 3?

Gadgetdude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: best car dock for note 3?

A magnet shouldn't affect GPS, but it could delete data. I wouldn't put a magnet near a computer.

I have a magnetic car dock which is excellent - best dock I've ever used by far. I've used clamp type docks for years but until you try one it might be hard to visualize how much nicer a magnetic setup is.

That said, like you I was VERY concerned about possible magnetic effects/damage to my phone but after a lot of research I found my thinking was outdated. I'm pretty old school (or as my kids would say - I'm an old fart....) and having grown up in the 70's-80's and heavy engaged in the computer tech scene it was drummed into my brain to always keep any kind of magnet away from my computer equipment - I even came across an old screen degaussing loop a few month ago in an old junk box - had to explain to my teenager what it was for.. what a CRT was etc.

Simply put, there is NO evidence that magnets have any negative effect on cell phones or even more importantly flash memory (I was worried about my 64GB microSD card) and I can also say specifically from all the reviews I've read about the magnet car mounts, no one is reporting that they created a problem with their phone.

milanroubal

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Any idea if the magnet can be used also in case using wireless charging cover?

Odesl?no z m?ho SM-N9005 pomoc? Tapatalk

Gadgetdude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Any idea if the magnet can be used also in case using wireless charging cover?
Odesl?no z m?ho SM-N9005 pomoc? Tapatalk

I think I understand how wireless charging works but decided not to press my luck. You definitely would not want to put the metal plate the magnet needs between the charger plate and the outside of the charging cover (like if you had an additional case over the charging cover). I use to have an HP Touchpad that had wireless charging built in and some fool covered the back of his tablet with aluminum foil because he thought it looked cool and then was surprised when he fried both the tablet and charger when he set it into the dock - sparks and smoke ensued.... :)

I'm not even sure it would be ok if the metal plate was between the charging cover and battery because while I believe the cover and contacts would route the current "around" the plate I'd be concerned that the charging field might still not like the metal plate (heat?) and the magnet might mess up the charge pad built into the charge cover. For me it was magnetic car dock + desktop cradle or wireless charging and clamp car dock, I went with these:

Amazon.com: InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones, Cradle-less Universal cell phone holder with Quick-snap technology, magnetic cell phone mount: Cell Phones & Accessories

Data Sync Dual Charger Dock Station for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 III N9000 N9005 | eBay

The cheap desktop cradle is an experiment - it will be here in a week and I'll post how it works out.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Funny that all computers have magnets of one sort or another inside of them huh?

Yeah modern computers are nowhere near as vulnerable to magnetic fields they used to be. There remains a risk however that data passing along unscreened wires could be corrupted.

There is a risk that you might damage data on a card with a magnetic strip on it if placed near a magnet

A weak magnet should be okay, but if you put a strong magnet, like a neodymium iron boron magnet (like you find in a speaker) near electronics you may induce an electric current which could cause problems and hardware failure.

Magnets can also attract debris, e.g iron dust particles that could get onto pcbs and cause short circuits.

It's just good practice to avoid magnets.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

If you place the phone on the car vent it will overheat and stop charging when the heater is on. Not a good idea.

more than the phone being in a car in the summertime? cause the thermometer in my car hits 110 or so and the phone charges just fine when i get in the car.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

more than the phone being in a car in the summertime? cause the thermometer in my car hits 110 or so and the phone charges just fine when i get in the car.

I'm speaking from experience here. If the battery temperature gets too high it stops charging.

It displays this message:

e9e2u7ed.jpg

Usually happens in the winter when directly in front of air vent blowing hot, plus using high power apps like satnav and playing music the same time. Usually won't happen in the summer because the air con will blow cold air on it.

Last edited:

NickinVA

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

A magnet shouldn't affect GPS, but it could delete data. I wouldn't put a magnet near a computer.

No, it interferes with nothing. Nothing in your phone users magnetic media, everything is solid state.

Sent from my enormous Note 3 via Tapatalk.

amcjavelinsst

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I went the one advertised on the telly that has heaps of little suckers like at nano level

mate got for me cause he liked his so Much

Looks good just dont use it ha ha

Sent from my GT-N7105T using AC Forums mobile app

Gadgetdude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

No, it interferes with nothing. Nothing in your phone users magnetic media, everything is solid state.

Sent from my enormous Note 3 via Tapatalk.

That what I learned. Besides that, I decided to do a little experiment to see how much of the magnetic field from the car dock actually made it to the phone after I read in another forum about a number of reports where the magnets in case covers were distorting the s-pen input. Using a paperclip and a staple as test subjects I touched them up to the dock mount and of course they immediate attached. I took the back off my phone (which has the metal plate attached) and attached that to the dock and while the paperclip and staple were still attracted, the force was weaker. I then placed the battery over the plate where it normally lines up and ZERO magnetic force makes it through so basically there is no magnetic impact on the phone anyway.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

The IBolt Car Dock Is the best Car Dock I have ever owned. I agree with what Dakeb said about this product. It works Great with the Gnote 3 and Charges it as you drive.

I give it a 10 out of 10.

iBolt.co - Stay connected with your world.

Problem I had with the iBolt is the spring is way to hard to use one handed...the iOttie is way more user friendly...imo.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

That what I learned. Besides that, I decided to do a little experiment to see how much of the magnetic field from the car dock actually made it to the phone after I read in another forum about a number of reports where the magnets in case covers were distorting the s-pen input. Using a paperclip and a staple as test subjects I touched them up to the dock mount and of course they immediate attached. I took the back off my phone (which has the metal plate attached) and attached that to the dock and while the paperclip and staple were still attracted, the force was weaker. I then placed the battery over the plate where it normally lines up and ZERO magnetic force makes it through so basically there is no magnetic impact on the phone anyway.

My main concern with magnets is their ability to collect muck, usually conductive muck that you wouldn't want getting onto electronics through a phone orifice.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Problem I had with the iBolt is the spring is way to hard to use one handed...the iOttie is way more user friendly...imo.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Yes it does have a very strong spring, it is a two handed operation, but at least you know it's secure.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Here's the ultimate car dock - and it fits the phone with virtually any case - including a Zerolemon.

It's not a 15$ dock, but you get more than what you pay for - and it's made of powder-coated billet aluminum with coatings and rubber to fully protect your phone.

Samsung Galaxy S3 / S4 / Note 2 / 3 Car Dock - CraigsDocks

I have one in my truck and am ordering another for one of my cars. The charging plug mounts in the dock, so it's a one-handed snap into the dock and it goes into dock mode and gets powered up, all in one motion, like a car dock should be.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Here's the ultimate car dock - and it fits the phone with virtually any case - including a Zerolemon.

It's not a 15$ dock, but you get more than what you pay for - and it's made of powder-coated billet aluminum with coatings and rubber to fully protect your phone.

I have one in my truck and am ordering another for one of my cars. The charging plug mounts in the dock, so it's a one-handed snap into the dock and it goes into dock mode and gets powered up, all in one motion, like a car dock should be.

I love the craftmanship of Craig's docks. But I don't care to glue a flat plate to my dash in order to secure the dock. At least, that's what I got from the videos at his site as to how the dock is mounted.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

You're not gluing anything to anything. It's a peel off self adhesive that you can remove, once you need to. It won't come off or budge, unless you need it to. If you ever remove it, it leaves no marks. I have it in two vehicles now. It's in my 2013 Sierra Denali 3500HD Duramx, and my 2008 Corvette Z06. Never been happier.

I just wish I could find a way to trigger a dock app to do things when placed into the dock. There doesn't seem to be an app that does it. I want an app that turns bluetooth on, WIFI OFF, sets screen brightness to 100% for a 30 minute timeout...etc. It can be done, but it's not triggered by placing it into the dock. That really sucks.

Tough install too, like maybe 3 minutes total. LOL

Gadgetdude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

You're not gluing anything to anything. It's a peel off self adhesive that you can remove, once you need to. It won't come off or budge, unless you need it to. If you ever remove it, it leaves no marks. I have it in two vehicles now. It's in my 2013 Sierra Denali 3500HD Duramx, and my 2008 Corvette Z06. Never been happier.

I just wish I could find a way to trigger a dock app to do things when placed into the dock. There doesn't seem to be an app that does it. I want an app that turns bluetooth on, WIFI OFF, sets screen brightness to 100% for a 30 minute timeout...etc. It can be done, but it's not triggered by placing it into the dock. That really sucks.

Tough install too, like maybe 3 minutes total. LOL

I use NFC tags and the Trigger app for this. Not on the dock itself but just under it (only want it triggered once before I put my GN3 on the magnetic dock I use). "In the car" is programmed to go into car mode, turn off wifi and turn on mobile data, fire up my favorite car dock app, connect the bluetooth the way I want it, announces "In the car" so I know it tripped etc. I have another tag mounted just inside my back door that I swipe on to run my "At home" profile that reverses most of that. I read about other folks using a GPS fence to change all this when leaving the house but I prefer the tag because I want everything to happen before pulling out of my garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair