Kindle app used over 10gb data in 12 days?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at data usage on my phone and the Kindle app used over 10gb in the 12 days that I have had my phone. I haven't used the app and haven't downloaded any books to the Kindle app either. Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382446548980.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382446548980.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 85

putsometrebleinit

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
That is an insane amount of background usage. I disabled the Kindle app and if you don't use it I recommend you do the same. If you do use it then disable background data

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That is an insane amount of background usage. I disabled the Kindle app and if you don't use it I recommend you do the same. If you do use it then disable background data

He has unlimited so he will be okay overage wise.

I'm just concerned why it's doing that. Any settings that stand out to you dpham?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
He has unlimited so he will be okay overage wise.

I'm just concerned why it's doing that. Any settings that stand out to you dpham?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

I checked the Kindle app there aren't any settings that relate to sync or download. But the app hasn't downloaded any books either. So I am not sure where all the data usage came from. Although I have unlimited, I still don't want an app that's hogging data for no reason as it is a battery drain.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The thing is, I do sometimes use the app. I went ahead and disabled background data, but that only disables it on mobile. On wifi, I don't believe that there is a way to disable?

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I've used it to download about 60MB worth of books and it is showing 660 MB of data. I can imagine some overhead, but that's crazy.

It also weird, because when I check out my battery usage, the Kindle app is showing the most use of any apps, even though I haven't been using it much at all.

putsometrebleinit

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Interesting side note... I mislead you when I said I disabled it. It isn't even installed on my phone. Must have been thinking of my other phone. Either way, it could have been due to app data being restored or synced from Google. That is also something I disable in accounts

PrePlus79

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Does the usage match your carrier data usage report? I noticed the background data use when I was setting up my mobile data limits and set it to wi-fi only. Good thing I did looks like.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
how often does whispersync update to the phone? mine has only used 5mb since the 4th, and i use the app for about an hour each day.

kasxperanto

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Wow, this is insane. I have experienced a similar issue with Google Books on my Nexus 5, so unfortunately it looks like this may be an issue with how the operating system is handling the background data for e-reader apps.
I just recently switched to Ting (MVNO on Sprint's network) and was looking forward to a $30 bill this month, but Google Books said "Nope, I'm going to use 735 Megabytes of data to do absolutely nothing". In only a few minutes of reading plain-text pdfs I used 690 MB of background data and 45 MB of foreground, and that's without downloading ANYTHING. Even with ONLY the foreground I could download the entire 1000 page PDF three times over with room to spare, and that's with NO compression!!! I understand there will be some overhead, but that should be dwarfed by the savings from compression.
Google has cost me over $15 in data charges for absolutely nothing.

I don't understand how so much data is used. I could download that book 50 times in 700 MB of data, yet I have nothing to show for it. I have contacted Google about this, and now that I've found this and other reports of the Kindle reader having the same problem I know it is something wrong with the app or with Android. If I keep getting the "do x, y, and z to install the book to your phone" runaround I will end up demanding some Play Store credit to make up for the money their software is wasting. :mad:

Anthony Kehoe

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Just to add here, I had the same problem, and saw the app had triggered my data limit in just 3 days, on my phone. I went into the data settings and had to set the options so that background stuff only happens on wifi. Still, I did NOT EVEN USE THE APP in that time frame, and it looks to me that from time to the Kindle app recycles and updates all the books in your library...this is something they should really warn people about. I also noticed that I kept getting repeated notices about downloading books I had recently read, and this appears to be a bug that results in repeated downloads of the same material. Anyway, problem solved by setting it to backround activity on wifi only.

Formerly Known As

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
The second to last Kindle update had a bug that caused it to constantly download books. I only got hit for 654 mb.
However that was enough to push me over my 6gb limit.
If Verizon charges me $15 overage I am demanding a refund from Amazon.
I complained at the time but it took 2 plus weeks to get a fix.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital