1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Difference of Opinion between Apps Concerning Battery Usage

So the default Battery app says the two biggest power hogs are the screen (No surprise there) and the Cell Standby. My search for a fancier battery app initially led me to to Du Battery, but I didn't care for that one much so I uninstalled it (Incidentally, it's still listed as "Installed" on the Google Play page, how do I change that?) Then I went with Battery Doctor, and I like that one better so far.

Unlike the stock Battery app however, it lists at the top, of all things, S Health, with a whopping 40.3% of power consumed. The next highest item on the list is the Operating system at only 17.8% (Battery Doctor unlike Du Battery doesn't seem to list things like Cell Standby or other hardware functions.) It doesn't even show up as one of the top items in the normal battery App. I don't know if I believe it's hogging that much energy, but it does claim to have been using the sensor nearly as long as the phone has been on battery. Note that I only today (After discovering its large usage) even started using the app (And I use the term "using" loosely; more like I went through the setup and entered my name and poked around for a bit without actually doing much of anything.) Amazingly to me, this is considered a 3 on their scale whereas small time consumers like Chrome are given 4s. :/

So which one is right? Is it actually the hardware sensor that's using up juice? But then why don't I see such a report anywhere else? Here's a screen from Battery Doctor (Since it doesn't show on the other):

Default Re: Difference of Opinion between Apps Concerning Battery Usage

Are you sure the app isn't reporting S Health as taking up 40.3% of battery usage from apps only, rather than battery usage from all sources? So for example, let's say your battery is down to 20%, which means 80% of battery has been used. And let's say that all apps are responsible for 50% of that battery usage (with the other 50% being from the screen), which means that all apps in total have used 40% of the battery (50% x 80%). Now if S Health is being reported as using 40% of battery, it might mean that it is responsible for 40% of battery used by all apps, not including other sources like the screen or the cell radio. So that would be 40% of the 40% that we just calculated, or 16%. Which is still sizeable, but not as bad as 40%.

I like , which reports battery usage very clearly and cleanly. Give it a try, if you haven't already.

As for how an app is listed in Google Play, I believe that once you've installed something, it will be listed as "Installed" or have a checkmark if you're looking at it on the Google Play webpage. But it shouldn't still say "Installed" if you're looking on the Google Play Store app on your phone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hmm, the regular Battery program puts Chrome ahead of it though, at 4% to 3% (Which just raises further questions.) Checking again, Battery Doctor now claims 39.7% for S Health, 9.8% for Chrome.

Argh, so no way to remove it as being installed from the website? That seems like a glaring oversight. :/
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Trying the battery program you recommended and making some comparisons, the current usage stats are thus:

Main: Screen at 35%
    Secondary: Cell Standby at 21%
    S Health: 6%

GSam Battery Monitor
    Main: Screen at 37.4%
    Secondary: Phone Radio at 22.1%
    S Health: (Apps 37.9%) 2.8%

Battery Doctor
    Main: S Health at 63.4%
    Secondary: Operating system at 12.5%
    (Hardware stats not listed.)

So while I like Battery Doctor, I'd like to know why it thinks S Health is taking up so much juice compared to.. well, anything else (Actually I can't remember what Du Battery said about it.) While it's possible that it's correct and it's the other two that are wrong, I'm leaning against that at the moment.

How safe/wise is it to have two battery programs at once?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I updated the S Health program yesterday and after doing that it's completely dropped off of Battery Doctor. I had to dig into GSam to find it at all, and it seems the suspected culprit (It keeping some sensor active 24/7) has vanished.

If it was keeping something on that was draining the battery though, I wonder why only Battery Doctor regarded it as the most serious drain.