Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default New SD card have questions

    Hey guys I just got a SD card and put it into my note 3 after about 2 weeks of having it.

    Now when I say move apps to the SD card it seems to put it in a folder called sdcard0 which is still in the local phone memory, not the new SD card?

    Thoughts?

    I found a way to manually move the pictures and music but haven't been able to figure out the apps. Also, when I download things from chrome is there any way to save those to the SD card?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    I have also noticed a slight lag when hitting the power button to turn the phone on.

    Any ways to fix it?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
  3. #3  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    How are you saving the apps to the SD card ? I just checked mine and all of the apps that I have saved, are in the extended SD card not under any folder, and as far as the lag you are talking about, the majority of people is experiencing it I had my phone exchanged thinking that it was only me but same thing is happening with the second phone. Do a thread search on this and you will find out what is going on and what other people are giving as a solution which in turn is not a solution. The only one reliable reason that I have found out about this problem is that if you remove SD card, the phones doesn't lag therefore, it is something with the memory card.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    How are you saving the apps to the SD card ? I just checked mine and all of the apps that I have saved, are in the extended SD card not under any folder, and as far as the lag you are talking about, the majority of people is experiencing it I had my phone exchanged thinking that it was only me but same thing is happening with the second phone. Do a thread search on this and you will find out what is going on and what other people are giving as a solution which in turn is not a solution. The only one reliable reason that I have found out about this problem is that if you remove SD card, the phones doesn't lag therefore, it is something with the memory card.

    Tried saving the apps a bunch of different ways, but nothing worked. I thought going into settings, manage apps, and move to SD card would work.

    Seems like it just saves it to the eMMC 32gb storage in the phone and not my 64gb card. I can manually drag them over but isn't what I want to do.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
  5. #5  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    You might need to reformat the card to start fresh.... the way to do it is going into settings application manager and when you open the app that you want to save, there is a choice on the bottom left that says move to sd card.... press on it that should do it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    You might need to reformat the card to start fresh.... the way to do it is going into settings application manager and when you open the app that you want to save, there is a choice on the bottom left that says move to sd card.... press on it that should do it.
    Formatted it right at the beginning. No luck. Looked through some other forums and seems like the delay is just something I have to deal with. Not sure still about saving apps directly to the SD card.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
  7. #7  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by sddabrow View Post
    Formatted it right at the beginning. No luck. Looked through some other forums and seems like the delay is just something I have to deal with. Not sure still about saving apps directly to the SD card.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    The lag is something we all have to live with ..........but the way to save your apps to the SD card ............ is the way I told you ......... any other way you save your apps, you will be bypassing the normal precess......... in any event, it is up to you.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    The lag is something we all have to live with ..........but the way to save your apps to the SD card ............ is the way I told you ......... any other way you save your apps, you will be bypassing the normal precess......... in any event, it is up to you.
    Here's a link to exactly what my phone is doing. Looks like I'm not the only one.

    http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...s-sd-card.html

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
  9. #9  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    You are trying to compare apples with oranges. The Galaxy S3 operating system is 4.1 which only allows you to save pictures to the sd card. The Note 3 operating system is 4.3, and this one has the option to save the apps to the sd card. There are two different version similar but not exactly., so now I am getting more confused that before, I just don't understand what is it that you are trying to do with the Note 3 that you are not being able to do. The way some people was trying to save things into their sd card on the S3 is not the same way to save into the Note 3 which already has the capability to do so in the operating system.
    Last edited by fantom305; 10-29-2013 at 09:34 PM.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    You are trying to compare apples with oranges. The Galaxy S3 operating system is 4.1 which only allows you to save pictures to the sd card. The Note 3 operating system is 4.3, and this one has the option to save the apps to the sd card. There are two different version similar but not exactly., so no I am getting more confused that before, I just don't understand what is it that you are trying to do with the Note 3 that you are not being able to do. The way some people was trying to save things into their sd card on the S3 is not the same way to save into the Note 3 which already has the capability to do so in the operating system.
    I am a layman and a newbie, with that said, it could be that the APPS have code in them not to go to SD card.. From what I have been reading, it is NOT a for gone conclusion that you CAN save apps to the SD card. I have heard some user saving the DATA to the SD card, but none of the things I have read or heard has been a smooth operation.. IMO, if you have not used up that 26gb on the internal memory, I would put the apps there, and pics and vids on the SD.. At least until the bugs are out, and everybody, developers and phone makers are on the same page!!

    Just my 2 cents..
    Haalcyon likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    I am a layman and a newbie, with that said, it could be that the APPS have code in them not to go to SD card.. From what I have been reading, it is NOT a for gone conclusion that you CAN save apps to the SD card. I have heard some user saving the DATA to the SD card, but none of the things I have read or heard has been a smooth operation.. IMO, if you have not used up that 26gb on the nternal memory, I would put the apps there, and pics and vids on the SD.. At least until the bugs are out, and everybody, developers and phone makers are on the same page!!
    Just my 2 cents..
    I agree with you on that part. I also had the S4 before and I know they came up with something like a maintenance upgrade to be able to supposedly save apps in the sd card and people were actually saying that Data was the only thing being saved from the apps. I don't know if you have actually tried it in your Note 3 but in mine it seems to save the whole thing. For example: I have Whatsapp Wallpaper HD which is 29.87mb in size and I saved it into the sd card and when I go check the size in the sd card, is giving me DS card app= 29.87mb. Again there is no way for me to actually verify because when I go into my files and to the particular application and see lots of file but no numbers as to the size of them.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by sddabrow View Post
    Hey guys I just got a SD card and put it into my note 3 after about 2 weeks of having it.

    Now when I say move apps to the SD card it seems to put it in a folder called sdcard0 which is still in the local phone memory, not the new SD card?

    Thoughts?

    I found a way to manually move the pictures and music but haven't been able to figure out the apps. Also, when I download things from chrome is there any way to save those to the SD card?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    When you move the apps to the SD card they are there. They are placed in a hidden folder named ".android_secure" If you don't have root access it will appear blank. The apps are there, move them all to the external SD and watch your available storage go down gradually. And to answer your second question, there isn't a way to change the download path in Chrome, however you can use an app like es file Explorer which has a downloader and you can change the path it downloads to when you use it to download files rather than Chrome

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    fantom305 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Maybe I'm not asking the question right so I'll show with pictures what is happening.


    The first picture is of my two storages... The one on the phone and my SD card. Sdcard0 is on the phone and extsdcard is the external.

    I have gone through and moved all my apps to 'move to sd card' yet they still fall under the sdcard0. Unless I manually drag and drop, which I did for music, the camera app is the only one that recognized the external SD. The rest still save to this emulated or internal memory card.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New SD card have questions-1383137325074.jpg   New SD card have questions-1383137336278.jpg   New SD card have questions-1383137345023.jpg  
  14. #14  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Not to be a jerk, but why would you want to save apps to SD. The internal storage is 32 GB. If apps are on your SD card they're going to load slower then the flash memory installed on your phone.

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by biggerfasterstronger24 View Post
    Not to be a jerk, but why would you want to save apps to SD. The internal storage is 32 GB. If apps are on your SD card they're going to load slower then the flash memory installed on your phone.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Oh no I completely agree. What I am trying to do is things like saving images, files, videos, etc. from my various apps I would like to store on the external SD card. Like the other day I downloaded a PDF from Chrome and wanted that PDF to be stored on my external SD card so I could pop it out, but it didn't do it automatically. Had to drag and drop from the internal eMMC memory to my SD card.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    I agree with you on that part. I also had the S4 before and I know they came up with something like a maintenance upgrade to be able to supposedly save apps in the sd card and people were actually saying that Data was the only thing being saved from the apps. I don't know if you have actually tried it in your Note 3 but in mine it seems to save the whole thing. For example: I have Whatsapp Wallpaper HD which is 29.87mb in size and I saved it into the sd card and when I go check the size in the sd card, is giving me DS card app= 29.87mb. Again there is no way for me to actually verify because when I go into my files and to the particular application and see lots of file but no numbers as to the size of them.
    BTW, I am not only a newbie, I also a former owner of the an S4 too.. Although, I don't game, I heard too many people stating that the 16gb internal memory or should I say, 9gb is really not enough. So, I returned the S4. Figured I would wait until Tmobile got the 32gb S4. Low and behold the Note 3 came.. Snatched it up quick. I have a Sandisk Ultra 64gb SD in mine. Only apps I have installed are Netflix and SiriusXm..All to the internal memory.. All my pics and vids will go to the SD card.. Also, just my layman veiw, but the SD card, no matter how fast, is slower than the internal memory. So, unless you have maxed out your internal memory, I would install apps there to get faster performance. I can stand correction if I am wrong on this..
  17. #17  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    May be I am not understanding what you are trying to do (I give up)........... but I want to guess that what you are trying to do is randomly save things to your memory card..... problem is,,,, and some one correct me if I am wrong ...........but unless you save the actual app for whatever you want to do in the memory card .... you are not going to be able to randomly do it. ........ in other words... if you are trying to save a video from youtube... unless you save youtube app to your memory card, you are not going to be able to save the videos ............Like I said.... some one correct me if I am wrong..... but that is the way I see it.................
  18. #18  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    May be I am not understanding what you are trying to do (I give up)........... but I want to guess that what you are trying to do is randomly save things to your memory card..... problem is,,,, and some one correct me if I am wrong ...........but unless you save the actual app for whatever you want to do in the memory card .... you are not going to be able to randomly do it. ........ in other words... if you are trying to save a video from youtube... unless you save youtube app to your memory card, you are not going to be able to save the videos ............Like I said.... some one correct me if I am wrong..... but that is the way I see it.................
    Many apps that download media have options to change the download path. Many, like Chrome, don't. It doesn't matter where the app is installed. He thought he moved the camera app to the SD card but all that actually happened was the settings are set to save the photos to the SD card. The camera app isn't move able. I don't think any system apps are since they are installed to the system folder, which without root aren't able to be moved. I can't speak for other file explorers but I know ES file Explorer allows the download path to be changed if you use the included downloader to download the files instead of Chrome or the stock browser. I tried to explain this to him as well as what happens when apps are moved to the SD card. It can definitely be confusing especially since those files are hidden and not viewable unless you browse from a PC or a rooted device.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    fantom305 likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Couple of suggestions:
    Please avoid using SD Card for Apps and other system related stuff. Only keep Movies and Music and probably pics there. Always best to use the system memory for Apps etc.

    Please get a faster MicroSD card from a reputed brand. Please avoid saving few bucks buying a slower and cheaper one. I have burnt my fingers and learnt my lesson. You should buy a Class 10 card with Read/Write speed upwards of 40 Mbps these days for our smartphones. (For eg: The Sandisk Ultra is a slower card, the Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro is more the apt one)
  20. #20  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    I agree on this.... I use a Samsung Clas 10 on my note 3.... the investment on a good card pays in the long run.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Thank you guys for the help. I'll try changing the download paths when I get a chance. I have started to just drag and drop files now if I really need them on the sdcard. Originally was worried about space being an issue but don't think it will be.

    As for using a reputable brand SD card, I most definitely am. I am using a Lexar 600 class 10 card. My job actually involves the memory space and Micron is the top notch memory supplier.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app
  22. #22  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    I agree on this.... I use a Samsung Clas 10 on my note 3.... the investment on a good card pays in the long run.
    Sandisk Ultra or Extreme? There is a difference..
  23. #23  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Since I have no recollection whatsoever as to how I'd accomplished that with my old smartphone, here are a couple of questions:

    1. How do I format a card inserted in the phone?
    2. When I intend to copy photos, music, and custom-made ringtones to the card, do I create a folder structure manually? If not, how would the phone know where these items are when corresponding apps are run?

    Thanks in advance.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_y7 View Post
    Since I have no recollection whatsoever as to how I'd accomplished that with my old smartphone, here are a couple of questions:

    1. How do I format a card inserted in the phone?
    2. When I intend to copy photos, music, and custom-made ringtones to the card, do I create a folder structure manually? If not, how would the phone know where these items are when corresponding apps are run?

    Thanks in advance.

    The format option is under Settings>Storage. Make sure you don't have anything you intend on keeping prior to formatting of course.

    As far as copying photos, music, etc., I like to store them where the phone expects them to be stored, so I make sure I know where a picture/music/ringtone file is currently residing, and then when I copy items over, I make sure they reside in the same folder. For reference, my ringtones are at the following location by default, (In Windows Explorer) Computer\SM-N900V\Phone\Ringtones. Hence, if I am adding more ringtones, I add them there.

    Also, just an FYI, make sure you are adding the correct types of files that match the files that are in there now.
    Thanked by:
  25. #25  

    Default Re: New SD card have questions

    You must be talking about the default folders on the phone, right? But what happens when one wants to move music files, ringtones, etc. to the memory card? Where should they be placed? Should a folder structure be created there from where the apps can read?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HELP!! My new S4 has wierd non facyory icons!! :(
    By Rhino_Spec in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-27-2013, 02:25 PM
  2. New to rooting a Sprint S3 and got questions
    By RobTheHillbilly in forum Sprint Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-27-2013, 01:32 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2013, 07:36 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 10:18 PM

Posting Permissions