lock screen home shortcuts are gone with pin password set in note 3? Why!??!?

doctorttt

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
My previous phone was an S3, and I liked my home shortcuts on the lock screen with PIN password security set. Why is this feature gone in Note 3? Is there a workaround?

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
My previous phone was an S3 as well. You go to settings, go to lock screen options, enable shortcuts. You can choose your shortcuts. After that, at the top it says security: swipe. Click on it and you see my screen shot. Select pin option. Hope this helps. 😊

ma6ybezy.jpg

Palm Treo line > Blackberry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW - the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 😊

doctorttt

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I did try this, but it's still not working.

1) I removed PIN security and changed to Swipe
2) Within Swipe, I adjusted the settings to whatever I needed
3) I then went back from Swipe to PIN security and set the PIN.
4) No home shortcuts on the lock screen.

What did I do wrong?

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I dont like the fact that there is no swipe to unlock. For instance, I like to have a 20 minute timer before it locks, and a 2 minute timer before it goes to sleep. Yet I will put it in my pocket after I am done using it, and may take it out in 5 minutes, but when I press the power button or home button to unlock, it doesnt give me an option to swipe to unlock. It just opens up automatically to the home page. I dont like this, since I sometimes accidentally press a button as I am inserting in into my pocket, and the screen will stay on for a while. So I have to input my password everytime I unlock now, or swipe only, and no password.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I dont like the fact that there is no swipe to unlock. For instance, I like to have a 20 minute timer before it locks, and a 2 minute timer before it goes to sleep. Yet I will put it in my pocket after I am done using it, and may take it out in 5 minutes, but when I press the power button or home button to unlock, it doesnt give me an option to swipe to unlock. It just opens up automatically to the home page. I dont like this, since I sometimes accidentally press a button as I am inserting in into my pocket, and the screen will stay on for a while. So I have to input my password everytime I unlock now, or swipe only, and no password.

There is most definitely swype to unlock... you can see it in the image posted above!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I will tell you what. I'll never lock my phone so I asked myself "why do you have the lock screen on?" i got rid of it completely and love it. Just hit the button and I'm on my home screen.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I will tell you what. I'll never lock my phone so I asked myself "why do you have the lock screen on?" i got rid of it completely and love it. Just hit the button and I'm on my home screen.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

I took a different approach. I want a password or PIN, if someone else gains possession of my phone but I don't want to have to enter it. Since I have a Pebble watch, I installed Delayed Lock. it has several options (location, wifi, bluetooth, etc). I choose bluetooth and paired the Pebble. Now if the Pebble is within 30 feet of the phone, I don't get asked for a PIN, but if the Pebble is off or out of Bluetooth range, then the phone locks and asks for a PIN. Simple solution.

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
There is most definitely swype to unlock... you can see it in the image posted above!

Yes there is a swipe to unlock but I also would like to have a pattern. On any other phone that I've owned. I had the ability to have it locked after 20 minutes. So if I woke it up under 20 minutes. I just had to swipe to unlock only. On this device, if it hasn't locked yet, and I press the home or power button, it goes straight to the home page, or what ever I was doing before. Which I would like to have the ability to swipe and maybe use the lock screen shortcuts and widgets.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

john248

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
So you want a swipe and a pattern lock? Doesn't seem like much of a point in that. Takes a second just to make a pattern.

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Before I start a new thread, I'm going to post my question here because it deals with the lock screen. I'm going to explain it to the best of my ability because I'm unable to take a screen shot when expanded.

Has anyone had issues of the weather (accuweather) widget popping up expanding, while swiping to unlock the lock screen?

I have tried disabling the widget refreshing (screen shot) or disabling the accuweather widget, etc. Nothing works.

I'm using the swipe method to unlock the screen. If I have a higher security feature, like pattern or pin, it goes away. But I really just want the swipe feature.

It doesn't matter if I have my personal message, owner information message, clock or date. The widget pops up and expand itself. Very irritating.

Please help. I really don't want to load a third party lock screen app on. Or, at least confirm this is happening to you as well.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

7yvypyzy.jpg

su6ugepa.jpg

yzusuqym.jpg

Palm Treo line > Blackberry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW - the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 😊

jkcb

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I did try this, but it's still not working.

1) I removed PIN security and changed to Swipe
2) Within Swipe, I adjusted the settings to whatever I needed
3) I then went back from Swipe to PIN security and set the PIN.
4) No home shortcuts on the lock screen.

What did I do wrong?

Lock screen shortcuts are not compatible with any secured lock screen (i.e. signature, pattern, PIN, password) if your secured lock time is set to "Instantly with the power key or when the screen times out."

However, if you don't mind the decreased security, you can increase the secured lock time, and the lock screen shortcuts will appear if you unlock your phone before reaching that threshold.

jkcb

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes there is a swipe to unlock but I also would like to have a pattern. On any other phone that I've owned. I had the ability to have it locked after 20 minutes. So if I woke it up under 20 minutes. I just had to swipe to unlock only. On this device, if it hasn't locked yet, and I press the home or power button, it goes straight to the home page, or what ever I was doing before. Which I would like to have the ability to swipe and maybe use the lock screen shortcuts and widgets.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I wonder if this is specific to the Verizon version (or perhaps just your device?).

I'm on AT&T and my screen times out after 3 minutes and locks after 15. If I wake my phone before 15 minutes, I get a swipe to unlock screen, complete with lock screen shortcuts (interestingly, no widgets, though).

jkcb

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Before I start a new thread, I'm going to post my question here because it deals with the lock screen. I'm going to explain it to the best of my ability because I'm unable to take a screen shot when expanded.

Has anyone had issues of the weather (accuweather) widget popping up expanding, while swiping to unlock the lock screen?

I have tried disabling the widget refreshing (screen shot) or disabling the accuweather widget, etc. Nothing works.

I'm using the swipe method to unlock the screen. If I have a higher security feature, like pattern or pin, it goes away. But I really just want the swipe feature.

It doesn't matter if I have my personal message, owner information message, clock or date. The widget pops up and expand itself. Very irritating.

Please help. I really don't want to load a third party lock screen app on. Or, at least confirm this is happening to you as well.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/02/7yvypyzy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/02/su6ugepa.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/02/yzusuqym.jpg

I feel your pain. I tend to swipe down to unlock, but start too high and it just expands the widget instead. Hate it. Trying to retrain myself to swipe up instead.

1383481335867.jpg

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I feel your pain. I tend to swipe down to unlock, but start too high and it just expands the widget instead. Hate it. Trying to retrain myself to swipe up instead.

View attachment 89935

Thank you for letting me know it's not just my phone. Ugh...growing pains with a new phone. Lol.

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Coming from HTC Sense, I agree with this. Even when I had a PIN set, the four app shortcuts would still show on the lock screen. For example, if I know I'm unlocking my phone to use the dialer, I would have the phone app on the lock screen shortcuts, then simply I'd drag that app, and the UI would prompt me to put in my PIN. After I do that, it right away pulls up my phone application. Not a big deal or a deal breaker, but it was a nice shortcut.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
There really isn't a point to securing your phone if you can still access it!! If anyone could just get your phone and get to apps you have set on your lock screen that would be the equivalent of not having a lock screen. IMO, the point of having a lock screen is to keep the phone LOCKED/SECURE.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So I have switched to the Note 3 and was hoping this feature would be available but no dice.
Locks teen shortcuts are only available on the swipe screen.
Swipe doesn't offer any security at all.
Kind of disappointing. Guess we can't have our cake and eat it too. I really like the swipe screen. Quick access to some apps and the widgets are super handy. The pin lock screen is kind of a joke. Just a simple pin pad. Not impressed.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

freudenfahrer

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Note 3 a couple of days ago, and it's really frustrating that I have to either draw the pattern every time or just go with no security at all. I have it set to lock after a certain period of time and I've already had a couple instances of the phone doing things in my pocket because there's no swipe to unlock before that threshold. Hoping there's a fix for this soon.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah here is hoping. That swipe to unlock was a nice feature.
It was a quick and easy step and allowed for password protection.
I am hoping they bring back some of the lock screen features.
Don't get me wrong, I freaking love the widgets! But I can only use PIN lock because I use the SkipLock app. Why not allow for the same features on the PIN lock as the other lock screens?

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk