Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S-Voice and Bluetooth Headset

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't find an answer.

Is there a way to get S-Voice working when the screen is off and locked with a pattern/pin using a bluetooth headset? When I press the call button on the bluetooth headset to activate voice commands to the phone, I can't get S-Voice to work. It seems like the call button wakes up the phone. S-Voice works when I put the phone near me and just say "Hi Galaxy", but I would like to say "Hi Galaxy" through the bluetooth mic. I've tried 4 different pairs of bluetooth headset, but they all don't work with S-Voice. Is there a setting I'm missing? Any way of getting around this? Or is there a bluetooth headset that will work with S-Voice when the phone is locked?

Thanks

Default Re: S-Voice and Bluetooth Headset

its definitely possible, because it works through my car bluetooth, even when the screen is off and my phone is in my bag on the backseat. i also have used it with a bluetooth music speaker while working out. unfortunately i dont own a bluetooth headset, so i cant recomment a specific brand. have you tried holding down the call button? that generally activates "voice dial" so the headset is awake and listening.

I have a Plantronics m50 using a pattern on my lockscreen. There is no way to bypass the pattern but if I press and hold the call button s voice activates. Just make sure you going to Settings language input: then Voice Search and make sure there's a check mark in the box where it says route voice through bluetooth headset.

Posted via Android Central App

Also if I take the pattern off and the phone is off and locked. if I press and hold the button on the m50 it does unlock the phone and activate s voice.

Quote Originally Posted by brisk172 View Post
    Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't find an answer.

Is there a way to get S-Voice working when the screen is off and locked with a pattern/pin using a bluetooth headset? When I press the call button on the bluetooth headset to activate voice commands to the phone, I can't get S-Voice to work. It seems like the call button wakes up the phone. S-Voice works when I put the phone near me and just say "Hi Galaxy", but I would like to say "Hi Galaxy" through the bluetooth mic. I've tried 4 different pairs of bluetooth headset, but they all don't work with S-Voice. Is there a setting I'm missing? Any way of getting around this? Or is there a bluetooth headset that will work with S-Voice when the phone is locked?

Thanks

I am sorry to say but it seems that that is because s-voice doesnt play well with bluetooth. Now, that being said, if you just want to make calls by pressing your button on the headset and saying the name of the person you want to call then here is what you need to do...settings - manage apps - ALL APPS - svoice - TURN OFF... sorry you have to turn it off. Fortunately when you turn that silly samsung app off good 'ole GOOGLE take over and GOOGLE VOICE will work perfect for you... i promise. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ghtoyou View Post
    I am sorry to say but it seems that that is because s-voice doesnt play well with bluetooth. Now, that being said, if you just want to make calls by pressing your button on the headset and saying the name of the person you want to call then here is what you need to do...settings - manage apps - ALL APPS - svoice - TURN OFF... sorry you have to turn it off. Fortunately when you turn that silly samsung app off good 'ole GOOGLE take over and GOOGLE VOICE will work perfect for you... i promise. Good luck
    The only thing I find annoying about Gvoice/search/now is it's inaccurate at times when I need it to be accurate! That and the fact that it doesn't read back a confirmation to make sure that's who you wanted to dial in the first place. I say "call dad" and it automatically dials "crawldad's crab shack".
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6

I'm having a similar problem on my S 4. It suddenly started defaulting to Google Search yesterday, and this is totally useless for me when I try to call someone using my bluetooth device.

Had the same problem occur and it frustrated me to no end. Working two days ago when I was out driving and to-day it went wonky. Finally "UNINSTALLED" the Google app -- it asked me if I wanted to return to the default one so I said YES. And now when I press my BT headset button it starts S Voice again for me ...
    Try that out ....

Dave

Glad to see I'm not the only one! I've spent 2 hours online and everything I find is about replacing S voice with Google Now. My phone started using google by default with my bluetooth just today and I'm really annoyed. When I'm driving I send a lot of texts. But Google is annoying because it doesn't read my text out to me before sending so I don't know if the text is accurate.

Anyway, when you say uninstall the google app...do you mean all google products from your phone? Because I can't find an actual app that is called "google now". I've turned off google now from within google but when I try to text from my bluetooth it still defaults to google voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacky V View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only one! I've spent 2 hours online and everything I find is about replacing S voice with Google Now. My phone started using google by default with my bluetooth just today and I'm really annoyed. When I'm driving I send a lot of texts. But Google is annoying because it doesn't read my text out to me before sending so I don't know if the text is accurate.

Anyway, when you say uninstall the google app...do you mean all google products from your phone? Because I can't find an actual app that is called "google now". I've turned off google now from within google but when I try to text from my bluetooth it still defaults to google voice.
    After the latest update to Google Search on March 6, it now sets itself as the default voice dail app. The only way to prevent this is to uninstall the latest update and turn off the auto update feature for Google Search.
    Thanked by:

Having the same issue which started two days ago. I've gone to manage applications but don't see an option to stop updates for Google search. How do you do this?

OK, I see what you mean. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bean_counter View Post
    Having the same issue which started two days ago. I've gone to manage applications but don't see an option to stop updates for Google search. How do you do this?

In application manager, under google search, I found an option to uninstall most recent update. Hopefully this will resolve the problem. While S voice isn't perfect, I had learned to work with it and there are things it does that Google doesn't yet.

Thanks Jack. That's what I did too. Hated S Voice when I first got the phone, but have gotten used to it. Google Now was really exasperating for me to use with bluetooth.

Anyone know how to turn off s voice? Still new to my note 3.

Nevermind.....I did it. I finally saw the answer in an earlier post. Turn off in app manager. :-)

Turning off S-Voice worked perfectly!

The only problems that remain is before the call, it issues these annoying instructions:
    "Say call, followed by a name or a number.""

After you do and OK the number, it then comes back with the annoying phrase:
    "The time available for this call is unlimited."

What are they thinking when they write these things?

My Galaxy with a plantronics M50 will only respond maybe once every few hours to a "long press", where it says "Say call, followed by a number". After that it just beeps and nothing happens. However, it *always* responds to a double click for redial and never fails to answer a call or hang up when pressed. I don't know what is causing this, earpiece or phone. I really like the M50 as it is comfortable, maybe I'll try an M55.

I have Svoice in my applications, but it is not found in "Applications Manager" so I'm not sure how you guys are turning it off?