Disable the home button from turning the screen on?

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted there is.

1. Mount as R/W and open /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.

2. Scroll to the line that says:

"key 172 HOME WAKE"

3a. Now delete the HOME so it says:

"key 172"

3b. Alternatively, you can change "WAKE" to "WAKE_DROPPED" if you use the stock lock screen and want your home button *NOT* to send you back to the home screen when you use it to wake. In my opinion Samsung should have defaulted it to WAKE_DROPPED in the first place. For what it's worth, WAKE_DROPPED doesn't seem to have any effect on WidgetLocker. If you use WidgetLocker, I suggest just doing step 3a instead.

4. Save it and reboot.

Posted via Android Central App

deskjob

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I am able to follow the steps outlined above, except that when I go to save the edited file, it won't let me save it. Any ideas on this? Phone is not rooted.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am able to follow the steps outlined above, except that when I go to save the edited file, it won't let me save it. Any ideas on this? Phone is not rooted.

You need to root first

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Yup, phone needs root to save. Weird, I thought you wouldn't even be allowed to see/edit the file if unrooted... I guess the system is more open than I thought.

dustrho

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Worked like a charm for me (went with option 3a). Thanks for the solution, because that home button was constantly waking my phone when in my pocket.

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Wow - thanks. That's been bugging me too. What stupid user interface design that you can't turn this off!

The Galaxy hardware seems great, the Samsung software is garbage.

It's also nice to find a solution that doesn't involve installing some great overweight app just to do one tiny little thing!

anon(8881887)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Phone's rooted. Followed the instructions. Saved the file with "key 172" alone on the line. Rebooted. Waited for the screen to turn off plus 5 seconds for good measure. Pressed the home button. The screen turned on. Boo. Am I missing something?

Greg Wilkins

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Use Wanam xposed, you can map it to a lot of things, I just set it to not turn on phone, there are a bunch of customizations there

Posted via AC App via note 3