Exynos or Snapdragon? Factory Unlocked or IMEI Unlocked?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I wanted to get your opinion on something. My dad has asked me quite politely to surrender my S4 to him (and by politely I mean demanding I give it to him after my dog ate his S3), so I'm taking this as an opportunity to upgrade. Enter the Note 3.

However, I'm now facing two choices:
1) I can get a factory unlocked N9000 right away, so the little kid in me that wants a new toy right now would be satisfied. However, the 'I want it all' kid in me, won't: this unit is 3G-only and is not capable of 4K video.
2) I can get an IMEI-unlocked AT&T N9005 but I'd have to wait a couple of weeks to get it. But I'd get 4G and 4K video.

So? What do you guys think? Is Exynos VS Snapdragon really a big difference? Also, I'm worried about updates. I know I'd be getting Samsung's updates faster on the 3G model, but if I choose the AT&T one, will I get the updates even if my SIM is from another company (and country)?

I hope you can help me out with this.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'd get the AT&T N9005. I think you may be happier with the 4G and 4K (not that you'll really use the 4K) in the long run. When you look back in 2 months which do you think you'll wish you'd selected? That's a guiding question.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with both, actually... I mean, I get that 4G is all the rage, but 3G is not that bad. I'm not streaming movies on my phone while on the network, I do that on WiFi. And to be fair, in my country we only get 4G on a handful of cities. But I'd like the 4G, though... I'm more hesitant on the N9005 because of the updates, really... I have a friend with an S3 that got unlocked from AT&T and while I know the S3 got updated from said carrier, he's not getting the update via OTA (I haven't tried checking on Kies though).

What about performance? Has anyone played with both versions and seen a REAL difference (I've seen the benchmarks, but those don't really tell me anything hehe). I'm also intrigued by the alleged 'patch' Samsung will release to allow true octa-core function on this phone.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
The snapdragon blows the exynos out of the water when it comes to performance. I'm so happy the US didnt get hat junk.

Posted via My Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are not planning on using it in the usa, the Verizon version is factory sim unlocked with the snapdragon 800.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I don't think the Verizon version would be 4G-Compatible with my carrier (it's always the AT&T models that are Telcel-compatible).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I don't think the Verizon version would be 4G-Compatible with my carrier (it's always the AT&T models that are Telcel-compatible).

Do you know what band 4g is used by your carrier?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe it's the Class 4 (2100)

Posted via Android Central App

The Verizon Note 3 supports HSPA/utms on 2100

Processor: 2.3 GHz Quad Core
Network: LTE, CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
Global Network: EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS(850/900/1900/2100)

https://m.verizonwireless.com/Shop/Details/Smartphones_-_4G_LTE/2917

Although not listed, it also supports band 4 lte (1700/2100) according to fcc filing
7y3u7ude.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ummm... it seems it would be compatible... how 'bout that? :)

Well, in any case, should I get the Verizon one or the AT&T one, wouldn't I 'lose' the ability to update at least via OTA if I'm on a different carrier? And I also know that updates are slower when a carrier is involved...

OOOH! DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS!!! :'(

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I saw a pro review of the two different cpu's a few weeks back. Basically the trade blows depending on what is being benchmarked. I am less and less impressed with 4G LTE as time goes on. Personally I like the ATT variant, but world probably go the international n9000 version if I was buying off contract and unlocked.

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Good point! I had forgotten! I've got a few trips to Tokyo and probably London because of work coming up... The N9000 version would be more 'world' compatible, isn't it?

Has anyone actually USED both versions? I mean, I don't want to base the decision on benchmarks, I want a real opinion... someone who can tell me 'hey, you know what? I've used both and this one is the best... or both are the same, quit whining' :p hehe

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Good point! I had forgotten! I've got a few trips to Tokyo and probably London because of work coming up... The N9000 version would be more 'world' compatible, isn't it?

Has anyone actually USED both versions? I mean, I don't want to base the decision on benchmarks, I want a real opinion... someone who can tell me 'hey, you know what? I've used both and this one is the best... or both are the same, quit whining' :p hehe

Ah. I see why you got the 9000 version when you were asking for 4.4 firmware region help a few months ago. I put your CSC in Sammobile.

Amazing what you find when you're searching for something else.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I wanted to get your opinion on something. My dad has asked me quite politely to surrender my S4 to him (and by politely I mean demanding I give it to him after my dog ate his S3), so I'm taking this as an opportunity to upgrade. Enter the Note 3.

However, I'm now facing two choices:
1) I can get a factory unlocked N9000 right away, so the little kid in me that wants a new toy right now would be satisfied. However, the 'I want it all' kid in me, won't: this unit is 3G-only and is not capable of 4K video.
2) I can get an IMEI-unlocked AT&T N9005 but I'd have to wait a couple of weeks to get it. But I'd get 4G and 4K video.

So? What do you guys think? Is Exynos VS Snapdragon really a big difference? Also, I'm worried about updates. I know I'd be getting Samsung's updates faster on the 3G model, but if I choose the AT&T one, will I get the updates even if my SIM is from another company (and country)?

I hope you can help me out with this.

Sound quality is better on the Exynos cpu with the Wolfson DAC but I find the Snapdragon 800 as a better CPU and it isn't even close in performance

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I have the Tab s 10.5 And almost hate the Exynos CPU .... As I said I prefer the DAC in the Exynos for music quality but other then that it is almost a deal breaker for me on the Tablets

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Ummm... it seems it would be compatible... how 'bout that? :)

Well, in any case, should I get the Verizon one or the AT&T one, wouldn't I 'lose' the ability to update at least via OTA if I'm on a different carrier? And I also know that updates are slower when a carrier is involved...

OOOH! DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS!!! :'(

You would have to wait for AT&T or Verizon to post the updates I would think and if that is the case don't touch Verizon with a 10 foot pole if you want faster updates because they are generally last in doing that

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You would have to wait for AT&T or Verizon to post the updates I would think and if that is the case don't touch Verizon with a 10 foot pole if you want faster updates because they are generally last in doing that

You know the last post here was October.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc