High resolution audio

maya707

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone used the Note3 for playback of high resolution audio files like 24bit/192khz FLAC, or even just 16bit/44.1khz WAV? Not sure of the capablities. Queried Verizon and Samsung and got nothing specific from either.

JohnBB101

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
The Note 3 has brilliant audio output,

gsmarena_a001.png,

The DAC could definitely handle something like FLAC playback, but it would come down to the drivers and impedance that a headphone has (assuming you're talking about listening to Super Hi-Res music through headphones)

maya707

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks John. Neither Verizon nor Samsung customer services were able to tell me the audio file types and bitrates the Note3 is designed to handle. I know the LG-G2 can do high resolution audio, but I have only seen vague write-ups in previews and reviews of the Note3. I have not seen any blog or forum post or reviewer write of actually doing high resolution audio with the Note3. I have read the experiences some have had with the G2 and it has been very encouraging. As they both use the same Snap800 SOC, I would assume the Note3 would be as capable as the G2 but nada...

JohnBB101

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I know where you're coming from, you can read the complete audio review/testing of the Note 3 here,

On the other hand, you don't really get bit perfect players for Android, even the SOC isn't designed to do that, so there'll always be some loss. But there you'll definitely see (or hear) a clarity improvement when you use higher bit-rate formats.

I'd recommend PowerAmp over the Samsung stock player, it handles FLAC (804-869 kbps, I think) as well as other high res formats. It's well worth the 5 bucks.

If you really want high res audio, you could invest in a portable amp, though firstly you'd have to get a decent pair of headphones. I'd recommend the Audio-Technica M50s, they're usually under 200 dollars and well worth the money. I've been using a pair for the past 2 years and they only sound better.

maya707

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, John. The web link was quite interesting. PowerAmp it is, then, but I'm covered as far as headphones go. I usually use my trusty Shures in ear or NuForce or Grado SR80s on ear when I don't want so much isolation. That's why low bit rates are so irritating and high resolution lossless formats so much more desirable. Thanks for your help and advice!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca