Screen Lock - Can't get back to swipe

apaulu2

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
A note for S6 users b/c the Clear Credentials is a little more difficult to find.

Settings->Lock Screen & Security->Other Security Settings->Clear Credentials

This did work to make the Swipe option available to me again, & I noted it makes the Smart Lock option disappear (which i only found by doing a settings search). This tells me its the use of the Smart Lock that precludes the use of the Swipe. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to turn the Smart Lock OFF other than to clear the credentials.

Hope this helps others!

spiritsoul

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
SOLVED: Screen Lock - Can't get back to swipe

SOLVED: even if cleared credentials is grayed out.

Settings > Device: Screen Lock > Screen Lock > enter your PIN (that you are currently using) > OK, and it
brings you back to all the options, i.e. Swipe, Pattern, etc.

I think a lot of people (such as myself) were thinking that when you saw the PIN screen again you were going to set up a new PIN #. Not the case here, it just wants you to enter current PIN in order to change Lock Screen settings. I just happened to try it to see what it would do and it worked! ; )))

Last edited:

faychin

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
It's lack of knowledge of what credentials are/do combined with the fact that Google decided to put All in the menu and then repeat the All in the warning message.

Would be a whole lot simpler and less frightening if the option was "clear all user credentials" and the warning was "are you sure you want to clear all user credentials stored on the device and external storage."

I myself was extremely hesitant to use this tool due to the current language that lacks any differentiation between user/system credentials.

This is the exact fear that I'm talking about.

No, your phone shouldn't act up at all, unless of course you needed said credentials either in an enterprise environment in a "bring your own device" or a company issued phone situation. One other case is one in which you yourself have decided to either encrypt data, send/receive encrypted emails, or digitally sign documents using the device or digitally sign emails. Everything in the last case applies to the first two, but instead of being required by a company you choose to use the features on your own. These circumstances are the primary reason that KNOX exists, regardless of whether or not it's a "watered down," a full blown, or an implementation in between.

In the case of a company issued phone you shouldn't be able to disable anything or mess with credentials and certificates which are basically the same thing. Think of this as the same thing as logging into your computer at work.

In the BYOD case it all depends on the company as to what and what not you can change, although changing anything should prevent access to the network, smoke any encrypted company data on the phone in which a cred/cert combined with your password is required to decrypt/encrypt data, and prevent the encryption/decryption/digital signing of emails.

I won't get into the personal use as it's generally very tough to get working correctly between mobile devices unless everyone involved is using the same phone, the same family of phones, or unless everyone involved is using the same email app (IE the default email app found on later galaxy devices BUT NOT the gmail app) or apps that are compatible w/each other security wise. Although you can digitally sign emails to your hearts content.

POST NOT COMPLETE. MORE INFO AND A LINK OR TWO COMING

POST NOT COMPLETE. MORE INFO AND A LINK OR TWO COMING

This complete explanatory answer convinced me to try "Clear credentials" and it worked perfectly. No loss of apps
and I even reapplied my old pin and it locked the screen as desired. Both Swipe and None became active along with the other choices. Thanks. Virgin S5 OS 5.0

faychin

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
"Clear Credentials" works fine. No loss of app's. and Swipe now works.
Thanks for the great detailed write up. Also thanks to all for verifying replies.
Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 5.0

faychin

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
was hesitant to try based on terse answers but worked up my courage and did it.
did not want to do a FDR and then reinstall apps from Google Play. I just switched from
S3 to S5.
Thanks again...

sgarcia375

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like Knox acting up. Have you tried disabling it as device administrator. Go to settings>general>security>device administrators and Uncheck Knox

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I am having Issues removing the password setting on my galaxy 6s edge please help me I really dislike password. I downloaded knox messging and already deleted it and stillcant get it off

Ar Ma

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Not sure why no one is using this super simple solution (it seems.) Earlier another user posted this solution as well that I thanked, and it does work. In lollipop on Nex 10 I couldn't go back to swipe or none, but this does work! Even though I already fixed my issue because of the earlier solution, just wanted to say thanks anyway. Maybe this solution is just too simple to follow because most of the replies are to the very complicated ways to do it. Weird..... But not as weird as Google making it a bit more complicated to do. I forsee a lot of uninformed carrier personel telling customers to reset their carrier branded devices that get 5.0 in the coming months (years), to bring back "none or swipe", then they probably won't use security anymore. Again, not sure why Google did this.

sry my clear all credentials is also grey help me

Last edited by a moderator:

Diggler77

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy S6 users explicitly, you need not be worried. Clear credentials > Remove All Certificates > Clear Content, I believe was the last option. Do this and your ability to change screen lock type back to none or what have you is now available.

Cheers!

Posted via the Android Central App

leirachelle

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
thnkx the problem is totally completely and easily solved by just going into settings/security/and just clicking on /"clear all credentials" and your problem will be solved hounestly im telling the truth

Thank you for the tip! I had installed Android pay, and later uninstalled it, but the lock screen wouldn't revert! I didn't countless hours digging through my phone trying to figure it out! My search is over! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34