Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Miracast

Anyone know a good miracast adapter. I want to miracast my hulu and netflix from my phone onto my brother's cabless tv. I would like one that does have multitasking like I can beam a youtube video from my phone on to his tv and keep the stream going while maybe checking my facebook. Texas Instruments was doing something like this but you know how that company ended
    If someone knew if there a new miracast dongle thats gonna be released by samsung or netgear soon that I should hold off for that would help

Default Re: Miracast

Not sure if this is answering your question, but have you tried one of the cheap Chinese Android dongles (mk802 III, cloudnet CR11/S, MK802 IV etc...) ? Most of them support Miracast out of the box, and they also support Cheapcast which mimics the Chromecast experience:
    Make Smart TV – Make any Android dongle a Chromecast with this awesome app

cheapcast does exactly what you want for youtube on any Android dongle. not sure about Netflix and Hulu
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Will it work with 4g. Im trying to beam my phone screen on his tv and he has zero wifi or internet or cable but I have unlimited 4g on my phone with hulu and Netflix

Uh, that's a pretty strong requirement here.

The Chinese devices I mention require either Wifi or LAN connection. But what you're asking for sounds far fetched. How do you expect your 4G device to connect to a device with no connection? Bluetooth? Ad-hoc wifi? I mean, technically it is possible, but most of these apps expect you to be on a local network through Wifi or LAN, unless we're talking of a very integrated experience (e.g. ps3 and Vita, which use some sort of adhoc Wifi I believe). Or are you thinking of paying an additional 4G subscription to a dongle?

The App cheapcast that I mention also requires a local network, either LAN or Wifi, I believe.pretty sure it doesn't work outside of a local network.
    Also pretty convinced something like Chromecast will also require that.

IMO You should get a Wifi router to your brother before thinking of getting him miracast support. Or go with a fully integrated solution, where both the phone/tablet and the miracast receiver are made from the same company, and are guaranteed to work together (e.g. iPad + Google TV, but even that I think requires a local network)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by usinsider View Post
    Uh, that's a pretty strong requirement here.

The Chinese devices I mention require either Wifi or LAN connection. But what you're asking for sounds far fetched. How do you expect your 4G device to connect to a device with no connection? Bluetooth? Ad-hoc wifi? I mean, technically it is possible, but most of these apps expect you to be on a local network through Wifi or LAN, unless we're talking of a very integrated experience (e.g. ps3 and Vita, which use some sort of adhoc Wifi I believe). Or are you thinking of paying an additional 4G subscription to a dongle?

The App cheapcast that I mention also requires a local network, either LAN or Wifi, I believe.pretty sure it doesn't work outside of a local network.
    Also pretty convinced something like Chromecast will also require that.

IMO You should get a Wifi router to your brother before thinking of getting him miracast support. Or go with a fully integrated solution, where both the phone/tablet and the miracast receiver are made from the same company, and are guaranteed to work together (e.g. iPad + Google TV, but even that I think requires a local network)
    Well I was wondering if it was a wifi direct like peer 2 peer from phone to dongle with everything loaded using my 4g on my phone. Idk if miracast requires a home wifi or not