Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,770 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Default Note 4 with Tizen?

Honestly, my note 3 has many spooky tones of a Samsung note running Tizen sooner than later. I have a Samsung app store on my note 3 for crying out loud. In fact, I have enough Samsung on my note 3 I could almost replace all Google services. I love my note 3, and that it runs Google to the nth degree, but samsung is getting ready for the day it no longer needs android. Would you rock a note 4 on Tizen?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    24,294 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Note 4 with Tizen?

Personally, no. I have no interest in going with Samsung's OS. With as many different ones out already, I don't think it may take off all that well, unless Samsung sneaks out of Android and quietly slips in Tizen in devices.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Thanked by:
    Johnly 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,770 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Personally, no. I have no interest in going with Samsung's OS. With as many different ones out already, I don't think it may take off all that well, unless Samsung sneaks out of Android and quietly slips in Tizen in devices.

The thing is, I have my kids in ninja school. BTW, the 6 year old is belting up next week! I know ninja when I see it and samsung is sneaking itself in! And I say F that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    MERCDROID likes this.

They can make Tizen versions if they want as long as their is Android versions to. Frankly I find nothing wrong with android. If Samsung becomes greedy and makes Tizen everything then I think it might be time to start reviving the dying HTC name because it would ruin my cell phone experience to have a tizen phone. I don't even mind touchwiz over android. The hardware has gotten so good on the Galaxy note 3 that anything past the Note 3 should never lag really.
    Johnly likes this.

If all apps are there, i wouldn't mind. There is no difference for me if I can do Firefox, email, hulu, Netflix, etc, etc.

Google had been bothering me recently with its non stop quest to control everything.

@T-Mobile GN3
    GN3, LP, TMO, BLK, 96G, 3200/6400mAh/ZTE OPEN C w FFOS 2.2
    Android FREAK attack in full swing.
    Time to try Firefox Mobile for Android!, a 3rd party browser/engine to keep you safe!
    Thanked by:
    Johnly and tippmann15 like this.

If Samsung switches focus to there own OS then I'll switch back to Nexus phones.

Posted via Android Central App
    Johnly and MrTwiggzz like this.

I don't think they would force either the s5 or n4 to be tizen only. They don't want to lose customers over this. Biggest issue is probable lack of app support. Even Microsoft has a hard time getting devs to make apps for wp.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Johnly likes this.

I won't follow them to Tizen.
    Johnly likes this.

If Samsung starts pushing Tizen, HTC has a big opportunity to make up ground in the market

Quote Originally Posted by thymeless View Post
    I won't follow them to Tizen.
    This for me as well.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

If the user experience is the same or similar, I don't care what operating system it is. I'm not married to Google. And there are already similar services that Samsung offers on its devices. And for those in need for Google services, I'm sure they will still be there through apps. Kinda like iOS.

Scribbled from my incredible Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

It's all about ecosystem. Coming from iphone to BB to Windows then Android, I will tell you if it isn't Apple or Android the ecosystem and apps won't be there. If they go Tizen only, I'm done with Samsung. I made that mistake OS mistakes with BB and Windows and I won't do it again.

ATT N3

Im not paying for my apps again

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lietz View Post
    Im not paying for my apps again
    Indeed. Samsung will have to take care of that first.

@T-Mobile GN3
    Time to try Firefox Mobile for Android!, a 3rd party browser/engine to keep you safe!

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    If the user experience is the same or similar, I don't care what operating system it is. I'm not married to Google. And there are already similar services that Samsung offers on its devices. And for those in need for Google services, I'm sure they will still be there through apps. Kinda like iOS.

The Google Apps suite might not even available from the get go. Take a look at windows phone, they are still missing many official Google Apps. There are third party options, but I don't want to deal with that. I got a few free no contract windows phones and app support was a major reason why I ditched wp.

If Samsung can deal with the major app players and have stuff available out of the box, then they have a chance. Otherwise, app support would really bring it down.

Sure, once they have a large market share, app makers would join, but it would be pretty hard to get a lot of good quality apps without market share.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The Google Apps suite might not even available from the get go. Take a look at windows phone, they are still missing many official Google Apps.
    And a lot of that is Google playing its monopoly card to hamper Windows Phone. I hate that kind of behavior.

Samsung will most likely to put out note 4 in two or three variety to gradually test the water, I doubt they'll move away from Android in a year or two or even three or ever.

One thing is for sure, Samsung needs a back up plan since Google is getting more aggressive to follow Apple and lock up more valuable asset of AOSP.

@T-Mobile GN3

I see it like this:

Well, I'll update later cause I have to p00p.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3 / iTerd 5s / iTerd 6

MS is doing the same thing, trying to get you into their environment and feel locked in. In Android, the google lock is an illusion, mostly to blind the uninformed user that Android plays the same game as the other corporate players.

It wouldn't be hard to leave Google for something better, but another walled garden as Tizen, WP, and Apple are is not where I'll go. Even the Amazon Fork of Android isn't to my liking really. Android ROMs keep the Android world open and easy to keep on doing things the way you want, not how Google, Apple or MS or Samsung want. There are alternative stores for Android as well. Not so much in Apple, MS or Samsung. Well, a little in Apple, but still much more limited.

It's this attitude of control that is driving me from Windows on my desktop PC to Linux.

I wonder how well Android would do if Samsung decided to abandon Android? I think the two companies need each other.

I wonder how well Android would do if Samsung decided to abandon Android? I think the two companies need each other.

I tend to agree with that, but look at Dell in the Windows world now. They're a much smaller player than they were. These things ebb and flow. Samsung will drop from the top vendor at some point. And maybe pushing Tizen too hard would be that trigger.

Global Posts
    24,294 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

I think Android might feel an effect, but who knows? If Samsung leaves the OS, and people realize that it is Tizen in its place, there may be fewer sales of Samsungs.
    Symbiotic, yes. But I think Samsung will suffer more than Android.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Johnly likes this.

If tizen doesn't have good app support, it would be pretty tough. If Samsung can get good solid apps on release, then there is a chance it can make it big without Google... But what would it do without Google Apps? Apple spent a lot of effort to get their maps away from Google and even at the beginning, they floundered. A lot of Android users are tied into the Google ecosystem, and even moving to iOS, there is good Google support. Heck, you can make and receive calls from phones on hangouts in ios, but not Android yet. Even though Google doesn't like apple, ios has the numbers so it has to support them. Tizen on the other hand doesn't. Also Google is ending third party Google voice support so no support on Windows phone. And blackberry is the same.

A few years ago Samsung was not really taken seriously, and HTC was king. In just a short time, rolls were reversed. And if not those companies, someone else would arise.

Samsung tried and failed at their OS in the past. Can they succeed? Maybe. But they aren't going to abandon Android completely anytime soon. Imo, they would wait to ensure tizen success before abandoning Android. The bottom line is profitability. Having their own OS means jack if they aren't successful

Golfdriver97 likes this.

To everyone saying it's selfish etc. For Google to not support windows phone. Why would Google support a competitors hardware and software? Never mind that Google doesn't make money on windows phone products how about the whole 'scroogled' thing. That's like saying why doesn't Walmart advertise for Target or something

The idea that the samsung centric stuff is pointing in the direction of tizen is a stretch. That have had this stuff since the galaxy s 1. Some of it has expanded. But it is essentially the same stuff.

Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

Quote Originally Posted by biggerfasterstronger24 View Post
    To everyone saying it's selfish etc. For Google to not support windows phone. Why would Google support a competitors hardware and software?
    Its one thing to not actively support another platform, its a much different matter when it actively block the WP youtube app when M$ wrote the app according to Google's requirement.

Google blocks Windows Phone YouTube app (again), for “manufactured” reasons | Ars Technica

This is absurdly monopoly at the expense of end users. This type of behavior will not be regarded highly in my mind, period.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast