Samsung Galaxy - Cracked Screen Defect, not dropped, Note 3 & Note 2, S4 & S3

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I would think it would be pretty hard to prove a phone wasn't dropped or accidentally damaged in another way by a user.

Deb from my Note 3

Actually it is pretty easy to prove that the phone has not been dropped. If no scratches no drop. Especially when it is still new. Off course if there is a scratch then....

GalaxyCracks

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it has a scrape on the side, which has been there since shortly after I purchased the phone last fall. I agree that it's very hard to prove what did or didn't happen. Even if the phone didn't have scratches, they could claim it was dropped in a case or in a way that didn't scratch it.

But, it's mostly irrelevant to the larger point - Samsung is categorically denying claims for this problem *regardless* of whether phones have scratches and dents or are brand new in perfect mint condition, they *never* acknowledge the problem, claiming it's not a known issue when there are numerous reports to the contrary.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it has a scrape on the side, which has been there since shortly after I purchased the phone last fall. I agree that it's very hard to prove what did or didn't happen. Even if the phone didn't have scratches, they could claim it was dropped in a case or in a way that didn't scratch it.

But, it's mostly irrelevant to the larger point - Samsung is categorically denying claims for this problem *regardless* of whether phones have scratches and dents or are brand new in perfect mint condition, they *never* acknowledge the problem, claiming it's not a known issue when there are numerous reports to the contrary.

even if they did started to fix this particular issue I very much doubt they would fix yours since it does look like you could of done it. Seeing how this is only hitting forums like this and hasn't gone to the national press i would bet this issue is minor ( Maybe 1-5%?) Samsung doesn't see it as a defect and as you Cracking the screen. TBH it is probably the generic response and if you got upper management ( IDK Samsung is so big but somebody from Samsung or Samsung Mobile and upper management not the typical CS rep)

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

Honestly I've only seen about 10 people in this thread where I could actually say there *might* be an issue. Samsung denying coverage could simply because this might not even be an issue, and as for as they're concerned it's simply people breaking their own phones.
They aren't denying claims it sounds like the people who sent them in were asked to pay for the screen replacement, so don't make it sound like they didn't do anything at all.
Since this issue is again only plausible on these forums, and only for roughly 10 posts in 223, it could easily be argued this isn't much of a case. You say "Numerous reports" but just having a lot of people report the issue isn't enough especially when a lot of the new accounts that posted issues never followed up with pictures, they simply posted that they had the issue and then left never to post again.

blair21500

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I see this is a common problem. I recently just purchased my Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and it has a cracked screen. I have never had any issues with phones I?ve had the last 15 years. I?ve always kept them protected and babied them. Never had to replace a damaged or broken phone. The crack happened literally just sitting there. I did nothing to it. So now I?m forced to go back to my LG Viper since I refuse to pay $200+ to have it repaired when it wasn?t my fault.

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I see this is a common problem. I recently just purchased my Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and it has a cracked screen. I have never had any issues with phones I’ve had the last 15 years. I’ve always kept them protected and babied them. Never had to replace a damaged or broken phone. The crack happened literally just sitting there. I did nothing to it. So now I’m forced to go back to my LG Viper since I refuse to pay $200+ to have it repaired when it wasn’t my fault.
Unless you post images there's literally no reason to believe you.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Unless you post images there's literally no reason to believe you.

What these people don't understand though is how hot is the phone when this is happening or even how cold is the room it is in..... A really hot phone could have done this or if it was in a freezing room perhaps when you touch it. Not a science wiz but wouldn't a really cold screen have a negative effect with your warm hands?

Sent from my SM-N900T

Nfluencedaworld

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes I too have the same issue with the Galaxy Note 3- a hairline crack on not one but 2 of the new phones that we just purchased from Sprint and just like you- NO HELP WHAT SO EVER FROM SPRINT! They will not take back the phones ( even though they are brand new ) and referred me to Assurion ( the insurance company ) after learning from Assuiron that each phone has a deductible of $ 200- with the cost of the phones at $ 349 each- I'm now out $ 549- for each phone- finally after 2 weeks of arguring with Sprint- and talking to many different people - some nice lady gave me the Samsung number- I called them- they will take back the phones and sent me prepaid labels- to return them - they will check them out and see what has caused the breakage- ( NOT FROM DROPPAGE ) and handle what needs to be done! Either its replace or repair the phones-- and I told Sprint- I refuse to pay for defective equipment-- they have deffered the payment of the devices until we get determination from Samsung! Call Samsung- they are aware there is an issue- maybe this will help-- SPRINT IS USELESS!!! Can't wait to change company's - have been with them since 1998!!!:-\

I pray it works out. Were you able to take pictures of the phones?

Posted via Android Central App

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
What these people don't understand though is how hot is the phone when this is happening or even how cold is the room it is in..... A really hot phone could have done this or if it was in a freezing room perhaps when you touch it. Not a science wiz but wouldn't a really cold screen have a negative effect with your warm hands?

Sent from my SM-N900T
Can't even apply logic when most of the people in this thread are assumed liars. A lot of those coincidental 1 post people who previously posted never replied to this thread again to show pictures or follow up, except GalaxyCracks, and between his troll name and the fact that it looked like he dropped his phone I don't take his claim that legitimately.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can't even apply logic when most of the people in this thread are assumed liars. A lot of those coincidental 1 post people who previously posted never replied to this thread again to show pictures or follow up, except GalaxyCracks, and between his troll name and the fact that it looked like he dropped his phone I don't take his claim that legitimately.

Reminder calling someone a troll is a form of trolling.

If this thread is that bothersome to you then I would recommend moving along rather than posting something that will be met with a negative response.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Mine isn't a cracked per say but looks like someone used an etch a sketch on top left corner clearly can be seen that its under the screen

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 4

Bingo, that's exactly what happening to mine. I have been surfing the web for two weeks thinking certainly I am not the only one. My phone had on a screen protector. You can clearly see the defect is under the glass. The glass is not scratched but the scratch-like defect is one layer under the glass. This is so freaking unjust that I am feel like organizing a class action. We need to fight this guys. This isn't right that we have $800 phones that we baby meticulously and still have to shell out hundreds of dollars to take care of manufacturing defects covered under a 12 month warranty.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have something a little different.... has anyone ever seen this? its not cracked... but its something elseView attachment 101687View attachment 101688View attachment 101689View attachment 101690

I got the same exact thing. Started small and spreading daily.
i thought it was a surface scratch but it is not. it kind of looks like an etch-a-sketch as it is under the glass.... and it growing its like 2cm longer than when i took that pic of it.... anybody seen this before?

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Today unfortunately, I have suffered the same issue. I was using my phone all morning sitting in my car at school. Walked to/from a building in ~30 degree weather to a nice warm car, and drove home. Later, when I looked at the screen it looked like a hair or spiderweb was on the screen. I rubbed it, and nope, it's real. The crack is UNDERNEATH the glass, and my phone is absolutely flawless. I've had it for only four months and there isn't a scratch on it. Going to call Samsung tomorrow and be prepared to bend ov.. I mean, hope they fix it. I will take pictures tomorrow and upload them with an edit to this post.

Edit 1: I forgot to add that the phone is still operating fine, with no issues or change in functionality. If you look directly at the screen the crack can't be seen, its only when you tilt it around you can see the it.

Yep, same exact issue here. Always baby my phones and keep on screen protector from the day of purchase. Its spreading every day too. totally unbelievable and unfair. This is a clear breach of warranty and should be replaced with absolutely no issue but.. How the hell are we gonna get a scratch BELOW the surface of the glass, which remains flawless...smdh?

PaulT7

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I have had the Galaxy S5 for 6 weeks. When I pulled it out of my pocket last week it had a crack. We all thought it was on the glass screen protector. Today I had the screen protector replaced - it was in perfect order! The screen/glass underneath is cracked.

I have not dropped this phone. It has a thin transparent rubber cover and in my pocket I always face the screen towards my leg so that its well protected. This screen did not break due to impact! There is no impact markings, only a hair line crack.

It has been hot in my pocket a few times as my high-res photos are synced with Dropbox. I'm guessing its a heat issue and it could also be to do with the cover used. I wonder if cover designers design for impact but don't focus on what happens when the cover gets hot from an outside source or if the phone gets hot. I wonder if my phones heat is trapped by the rubber cover, plus the outside environment where I am is 30'C. Here was me thinking I had the best cover, yet maybe my choice of screens is at fault?

Addy38

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem. I am shocked and have lost a lot of time figuring out what’s happening. My Note 3 is always in my bag with the laptop. I travel so there is general movement of the bag and usual pressure between objects in the bag.
Yesterday my Note 3 stopped working. No external signs or screen damage. Took it to the Verizon Corporate store at 3 different locations in Central Jersey. Same response. Hairline crack deep inside the screen. The crack is visible only on tilting the device at a certain degree. No external signs of damage. Option suggested by Verizon is to buy a new device at Retail price. I paid $299 plus 7% NJ taxes and have just completed 7 months of contract. Other than the battery life, I was very excited with the product. But, I am surprised the device is so fragile.
The carrier (Verizon) disowns the device saying crack is warranty void. Even though there are no external scratches or damage anywhere on the device. It is tough to prove you have not dropped the device. In the same breath, it is difficult to prove that you have dropped the device. The Verizon staff directed me to go to a mom-n-shop store before asking me to contact Samsung. What’s going on? My first time with Verizon and the careless attitude is so evident. The customer seems to be the last one having any stake here. I did my research. The mom-n-pop stores ask for anywhere between $250 to $300 for LCD replacement, most of them with just 30 days warranty and uncertified technicians.
As a customer how am I protected? Other than paying for an expensive insurance that costs $120 per year, do I really have any options? Do I have peace of mind after buying this equipment?
Just read up on the internet that Samsung is offering Premium Warranty on Note 3 in South Africa. That warranty covers drops and spills etc. What did we do wrong in the US? Why does Samsung not worry about the US customer?
The bottom line is that buying a Samsung Note 3 is a HUGE risk. You have to carry it with more care than your laptop and other devices. This product is fragile and more than average care is required in addition to insurance etc. Any issue with the screen qualifies as “physical damage” and then you are on your own.
Given the attitudes of the carrier and the incomplete warranty by the manufacturer, the cost of owning a Samsung Note 3 is possibly the HIGHEST. Loss of mental peace and productive time is over and above all this.
I will be posting the pictures soon.

Addy38

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Here are the pics...I hope the pro-Note 3 / Samsung folks are able to understand the trouble I am going through in this matter...I had a cover and screen guard always.

Attachments

• IMG_2828.jpg
    IMG_2828.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2823.jpg
    IMG_2823.jpg
    604.4 KB · Views: 31

PaulT7

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
My crack is in a very similar location & only visible on an angle. It could easily be mistaken as the same phone and crack. I don't have another camera at the moment to photograph it. I've had no lucky from Samsung. It's not covered on warranty regardless of cause. Mine cost about US$740. However I'm in Hong Kong and I've been quoted a local back street non-samsung repair for about US$80 if its the glass and US$160 if its the display. My best bet is that it was a heat issue. It was getting quite hot in my pocket while uploading camera shots. In which case its a design fault. Surely it should shut down if the temperature gets too high. It has a built in CPU temperature sensor. I didn't have any problems with my Galaxy S2 for the 2 & 1/2 years I had that. I don't remember it getting hot in my pocket either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles