What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Don't be silly.

Your Sleekbook weights 4 pounds and costs about $600-$700 for the base model. Adding $175 for a SSD and 8GB of ram is going to make the price close to $900. It is 13.6x9.4x.8.

An iPad weighs 1 pound and costs about $500-$929 depending on the options you want. It is 9.4x.6.6x.3.

Your laptop isn't half a pound heavier, its three pounds heavier. It isn't 4 inches bigger in dimensions, it is 7.5 inches bigger. Thats a really big difference in portability.

A laptop is a great device. I work on one for ten hours a day and wouldn't give it up for a lot of work. But I haven't traveled with one for three years. For email/web browsing/document viewing/very light document editing an iPad is a much more portable and much better travel companion. You are kidding yourself if you think there isn't a use-case where it is miles better for a traveler then a laptop. Not every traveler, but a lot of them.

But, so it a Note 3. For the last year, I have only bought my tablet with me on trips when I needed access to large books or spreadsheets, or when I wanted to catch up on my magazines.

I actually bought the sleekbook for $400 (yes new and courtesy of a sizable coupon, you just have to hunt), the 16GB cost me about $40, and the SSD ran me $135 (Thus $400 + $40 + $135 = $575). My Sleekbook weighs in at about 2.9 lbs from the factory and I'm betting a little less going from a conventional HD to a SSD (there's a noticeable difference in how much these different drives weigh). Even if we're talking about 2 lbs of difference, considering how much you give up in function over form, then as I stated, it doesn't make sense to me.

As someone that's worked in the IT field for over 10 years, the iPad presents a huge step forward in consumer entertainment electronics, but a huge step backwards in the realm of corporate IT, not just because of the limitations with Office products, but also because of how many more resources need to be deployed in order to facilitate an iPad in the corporate environment. I used to work for a company that would give a $50 iTunes gift card with every iPad deployed because they didn't want to invest in the infrastructure needed to manage applications at a corporate level. They found it easier to just give the end user the gift card and have them buy the apps as needed, which isn't very efficient. My statement still stands, 99% of ALL corporate endeavors can be handled more efficiently by something other than an iPad. An iPad is a neat toy, but an over-priced, overrated toy.

Below is the invoice for my SSD, I don't have invoices for the other devices readily available, but with a little research, you can always find great deals.

240631682 Toshiba 240GB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive Upgrade Kit - SATA/600 $149.99 $0.00 $0.00 $149.99
80600430 $15 off $50 on Products from Shop Owners ($15.00) $0.00 $0.00 ($15.00)
TOTAL $134.99 $0.00 $0.00 $134.99
Please note that we bill for each product as it ships.

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the misconceptions I could never figure out until it dawned on me that some people just want an excuse to have an iPad, which is perfectly fine but doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Granted, I use a tablet at work from time to time where I have no actual desk to work off of and can't sit down, but if you don't use your device in a standing position where 1 hand has to actually support the device then I don't see the argument that it's better than a laptop, especially considering the laptops being produced now.

Case in point, last year I purchased an HP Sleekbook that has an i3 processor, has 4GB of memory, 500GB of disk space. I've since upgraded the laptop with 16GB of memory and a 240GB SSD drive (original was larger but not an SSD) and it STILL cost me less than it would cost me to buy an iPad, plus I have a 14" screen AND a keyboard. It weighs in at only about 1/2 a pound more and is about maybe 4 more inches bigger in dimensions.

When I have someone ask me at work if they can get an iPad deployed for some VP, I tend to ask them what exactly they need with the iPad. The responses I tend to get range from "I need a way to check email" to "I have a document that I need to work on", which don't exactly quantify needing an iPad over a laptop. If the end user comes back to me with, "I need a toy to occupy a small child that is accompanying me on a trip", then I have no problem with deploying an iPad to them.

I'm not a desktop guy, so my main computer is a 17 inch gaming laptop, with an extended battery. Doesn't exactly sit comfortably on a tray in an airplane. I don't need 2 laptops. With a tablet (that I bought for around $250), I can do what I need when I travel, and it has the Play Store, therefore essentially allowing me to use apps that are on my phone on a bigger screen.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a desktop guy, so my main computer is a 17 inch gaming laptop, with an extended battery. Doesn't exactly sit comfortably on a tray in an airplane. I don't need 2 laptops. With a tablet (that I bought for around $250), I can do what I need when I travel, and it has the Play Store, therefore essentially allowing me to use apps that are on my phone on a bigger screen.

Sounds like my laptop, Qosmio perhaps? I have an X505-Q890 that's a nasty beast to lug around. IIRC, it weighs in at 10 lbs, has a 19" screen and is not exactly "portable". Hence the reason I bought the much smaller HP.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I actually bought the sleekbook for $400 (yes new and courtesy of a sizable coupon, you just have to hunt), the 16GB cost me about $40, and the SSD ran me $135 (Thus $400 + $40 + $135 = $575).

So when you say your latop is cheaper then a tablet, you are comparing your heavily discounted laptop against full retail of a loaded up version of the most expensive tablet available. That's certainly a fair comparison.

Even if we're talking about 2 lbs of difference, considering how much you give up in function over form, then as I stated, it doesn't make sense to me.

That's ok, it doesn't make sense to Microsoft either. That's why they spent the last ten years coming out with these giant tablets that were really just crippled laptops. They all died, because it turns out that a lot of people really only want email/web browsing/file viewing.

2 extra pounds might not seem like a lot to you, but for people who don't need that extra function you think they want, triple to quadruple the weight is a big deal. That's why Apple and Samsung and Google are selling loads of tablets, and sales of ultrabooks and laptops are in the sewer.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
So when you say your latop is cheaper then a tablet, you are comparing your heavily discounted laptop against full retail of a loaded up version of the most expensive tablet available. That's certainly a fair comparison.

Few things, first it's "than", not "then", second, when comparing a laptop and a tablet, you would expect to compare like for like, so comparing a laptop with a 240GB harddrive, why compare it to an 8GB iPad? Better yet, why not compare it to an iPod and pretend that strictly a music player is all that's necessary for the sake of proving a point?

That's ok, it doesn't make sense to Microsoft either. That's why they spent the last ten years coming out with these giant tablets that were really just crippled laptops. They all died, because it turns out that a lot of people really only want email/web browsing/file viewing.

A lot of people also think Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga are the greatest musical artists, that Soccer is the greatest sport, and that Carrot Top is a great comedian, so I guess if we're basing everything on popular opinion....

2 extra pounds might not seem like a lot to you, but for people who don't need that extra function you think they want, triple to quadruple the weight is a big deal. That's why Apple and Samsung and Google are selling loads of tablets, and sales of ultrabooks and laptops are in the sewer.

That's fine by me considering a laptop will give me more utility, better performance, and a longer shelf life (especially when you consider how fast a lemming is at upgradung their device when Apple tells them that there is a newer toy available for them to play Angry Birds on). I'll gladly take a deeply discounted device that doesn't compromise on performance because Duh mASSes prefer form over function.

As I stated before, I do own a tablet. It's a wonderful consumer device for entertainment purposes, but for the workplace, there are much better alternatives out there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

pathfinder3

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 4S and have invested a lot of money in Apple. The iPad allows me to keep access to that ecosystem and previously purchased apps. It's so much nicer than to squint at that measly 3.5 inch screen.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Note 3

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 4S and have invested a lot of money in Apple. The iPad allows me to keep access to that ecosystem and previously purchased apps. It's so much nicer than to squint at that measly 3.5 inch screen.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Note 3

You know, I've had a multiple iPhones and multiple android phones, I go back in forth (why limit myself). I now have a 5s as my main phone (sold my Note 3). There's good and bad on each. While I certainly like a larger screen the 5s is so smooth (at least to me, it's just fast) its surprising. The Note 3 is so versatile its just a great all-in-one device. I recommend enjoying both platforms unless that's just not in your nature. The LG G Pad 8.3 I replaced my Note 3 with is a stellar device...and is going to give my iPad Air some serious competition for attention.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
If you use Netflix and have an HDTV be sure to buy a Chromecast. It's pretty great when used in conjunction with your phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a Note 3 & 7 inch tablet & a 10.1 inch tab. The only thing different with all of them is the screen size. I can do everything on my S3 when I had it that I could do on my PC. The Note will do the same thing, I never have a problem with full web sites on any of the newer phones I've had from my last phone which was the S3. Screen size has been the only thing I have noticed a difference.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a 17" laptop, Note 10.1, Note 8 and Note 3. Each has its use in my routine. The 10.1 is used about 15 hours a week, the 8 at about 17. I prefer the 8 over the 10.1. The laptop about 6 hours.

Via my Note 3

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a 17" laptop, Note 10.1, Note 8 and Note 3. Each has its use in my routine. The 10.1 is used about 15 hours a week, the 8 at about 17. I prefer the 8 over the 10.1. The laptop about 6 hours.

Via my Note 3

That's a lot of Notes you got there.

Posted via Android Central App

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Tablet will last much much longer, doing the same tasks, than a Note 3. That and screen size are the only advantages in my opinion.

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I came from the iPhone, so one big reason for the change was to get a larger scren.

I already had the Kindle Fire HD 7". I love it for watching shows or movies after the wife goes to bed. It is also great for traveling. I sometimes wish I had the larger size now, but it is great for one person or sharing on a flight. I love the note 3, and it is so handy to have. Taking notes, and just the general functionality of the phone. It has more to offer to me than an iPhone. I think tablets are great, but have always enjoyed having a real desktop at home. I do some photo editing, and working for home when I am sick, it is just easier for me to have a fixed office. It helps me to focus and get things done.

I am considering the newest Samsung 10.1, but don't know when I will pull that trigger. I will use it to replace the laptop that I carry to a few conferences a year. Not to say the phone can't, I just would rather have the larger size. I personally won't be getting rid of anything, just because I got the phone. I think everything has its place.

The Kindle is great and very affordable. I can load my magazines, or some shows on it before a trip, and its so light, its great. While its packed in the carryon, I have the phone for my details of the trip, or to keep me busy in security or at the gate. While I would use a real tablet for notes or work type activities personally.

Lastly, in your talking about Netflix, Prime, Hulu +, ect. I personally have both Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I find that I use both enough to make it worth my money. I like to watch TV shows, and now that they are creating their own also, I use both. I enjoy having the ability to rent newer movies through Prime, and I watched Under the Dome, and plan on watching at least their new show Alpha Dogs, and will try Beta Testers. Netflix as such a large library of shows and movies, from Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, to their new shows Hemlock Grove, and House of Cards. And the free shipping on Amazon, makes it easy to cover. When you think the cost broken down is really only about 6.50 a month.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie