Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Hi, I am very new to smartphones and technology in general re: tablets and smartphones (had a computer for 10 yrs at least). I've been trying to catch-up as much as time allows and for being out of the mix for 15 years I've learned a lot in the past 3 weeks. Um... lol... I should explain that I've been out of the mix for 15 yrs NOT due to prison or a coma... no.. not that complicated... I got married 15 yrs. ago (no... I'm not seeking sympathy... it's ok...I am quite happy actually (although my friends would likely say its really just Stockholm Syndrome) but anyway... I am still confused wondering what a tablet offers that my Note 3 doesn't? Other than the screen being bigger I am ignorant to why else I would want one... or anyone really who has a smartphone.
    Before I realized I was going to get a smartphone I was looking at the Kindle Fire HD... waited for the new 8.9 Fire HDX to come out because I know they had ones that went up to 64GB... and since I am concerned about cloud storage as I dont want to spend $100 a yr. on it the sound of a larger area for memory was intriguing as I like Amazon to begin with... and if I got a tablet it'd be for entertainment reasons more so than anything (but really what else is a tablet for other than socializing or entertainment?). In the meantime as I was waiting for the 8.9" Fire HDX to come out I decided to finally enter the 21st century and get a smartphone. My first ...and I went with the Note 3.... (it was initially like giving the keys of a Ferrari to a toddler).
    Now I learned that I could hook my phone up to my TV by a adapter which is on its way in the mail... and since I am on a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime I figured that I'd watch the free shows they offer through my phone on my 55" HDTV... but I just seen how that isn't happening because Amazon refuses to offer an Ap for android to watch Amazon Prime with... so I either watch on a small computer screen or am S.O.L. and will cancel Prime on day 29 before I have to pay (unless I see a reason to get the tablet which is why I am asking on here)- Now I also just learned what a Google Chromecast is also... although I am unsure if Netflix and Hulu Plus are good or bad or what (still have a lot to learn).
    REGARDLESS, can anyone tell me what a Tablet offers that my Note 3 doesn't? Also... what is y'alls opinion on which larger tablet is the best? I don't want to spend $700 on a 64 GB new IPad... but from what little I know I was interested in the Kindle HDX 8.9" or the Google Nexus 10"
    Any help or insight is appreciated.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    It has a bigger screen, for watching movies and/or using full versions of websites. If you want to watch prime movies mostly, get the kindle hdx 8.9. The nook is an affordable 9 inch model if you are price conscience. if you actually want to use the tablet like a laptop, surface pro. if you want to look trendy get an ipad. i would read reviews on all the tablets, same as when you are buying a phone. i buy whatever suits my needs, and dont have any sort of brand loyalty, so im not going to tell you death to apple or all hail samsung or whatever.

    For what its worth, i prefered the 7 inch tablets previously, but now that i have my note i dont use the 7 inch tablet anymore, i either use the note or the 9 inch. the note is convenient for on the go or when i just want to use one hand. 9 inch is good if im going to be sitting on the couch for an extended period of time. if i need to do work (photoshop, business etc.) surface can do that, but costs more than a laptop.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,959 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Yeahs, a Note 10.1 offers a much better canvas for note-taking, drawing, and other forms of divertissement. The Note 3 will do in a pinch but doesn't beat out a larger screen for such activities, IMO.
    Live long and prosper.


    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Ok here goes I'll try to help you out. I have a note 2 and a galaxy tablet. Haven't picked up my tablet since I got my note. If your worried about storage you can get a 64gb sd card for your note. We cancelled our cable tv when we signed up for Netflix, hulu plus and Amazon prime. Instead of paying close to $90 a month for tv we're paying $17. Instead of a tablet get a roku box for about $50 you can watch your Amazon videos plus Netflix and hulu on your tv with it. My 82 year old mother is so glad she dropped her cable for Netflix. There's also a hugh amount of free channels available on the roku box. Go to the roku website and check it out. I have no experience with chrome cast but it sounds intriguing. Can't beat $35. Hope this helped. Good luck with your choice and remember you can never do enough research.

    sent from my fabulous galaxy note 2
    Thanked by 2:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    A tablet will provide you with extra bulk. I haven't seen a non-windows based tablet deliver 100% desktop browser support, and even some Windows based tablets are having a difficult time with all the platforms available for web design.

    What it really comes down to is what you will be using the device for. On occasion I find myself using a remote desktop application and the extra real estate provided me by my tablet is quite beneficial to me. But if you're using your device to keep up with social media, e-reading, etc then you may not benefit from an extra 2 to 5 inches when you consider that you'll have to lug the device around.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    I have a note 3 and an iPad. The Note 3 is great for everything except reading magazines and full page reference books. For those, a ten inch display is well worth having for the ability to read an entire page without having to constantly zoom in and out.

    I watch video on the iPad as well, but I never would have gotten it just for video.
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    When I first got the Note 2 i sold both my tablets. I never even touched them anymore. The only thing you would gain with a tablet over the note 3 is a bigger screen. The tablet does nothing your note can't do. Unless of course for some strange reason you need stereo speakers because that's how you listen to your music,, with a tablet with no headphones.

    THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!
    love my evo.
    Thanked by:
    pre1561 likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Android tablets? Nothing. The apps are mostly all the same. Only legit tabs to me are Nexus 7+10, Note 2014, iPads

    Everything else make for a bad experience

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Honestly, the time that I use my tablet the most is when I'm travelling. Much lighter than carrying a laptop, and bigger screen than a phone, makes watching shows/movies (on a plane) much more enjoyable.
    HTC Hero > HTC Evo > HTC Evo 3D > Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,959 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    The nice thing about the Note 3 is that it's a great compromise. ...and is large enough to raise the question as to whether or not you even need a tablet.
    Live long and prosper.


    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldManParsons View Post
    Hi, I am very new to smartphones and technology in general re: tablets and smartphones (had a computer for 10 yrs at least). I've been trying to catch-up as much as time allows and for being out of the mix for 15 years I've learned a lot in the past 3 weeks. Um... lol... I should explain that I've been out of the mix for 15 yrs NOT due to prison or a coma... no.. not that complicated... I got married 15 yrs. ago (no... I'm not seeking sympathy... it's ok...I am quite happy actually (although my friends would likely say its really just Stockholm Syndrome) but anyway... I am still confused wondering what a tablet offers that my Note 3 doesn't? Other than the screen being bigger I am ignorant to why else I would want one... or anyone really who has a smartphone.
    Before I realized I was going to get a smartphone I was looking at the Kindle Fire HD... waited for the new 8.9 Fire HDX to come out because I know they had ones that went up to 64GB... and since I am concerned about cloud storage as I dont want to spend $100 a yr. on it the sound of a larger area for memory was intriguing as I like Amazon to begin with... and if I got a tablet it'd be for entertainment reasons more so than anything (but really what else is a tablet for other than socializing or entertainment?). In the meantime as I was waiting for the 8.9" Fire HDX to come out I decided to finally enter the 21st century and get a smartphone. My first ...and I went with the Note 3.... (it was initially like giving the keys of a Ferrari to a toddler).
    Now I learned that I could hook my phone up to my TV by a adapter which is on its way in the mail... and since I am on a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime I figured that I'd watch the free shows they offer through my phone on my 55" HDTV... but I just seen how that isn't happening because Amazon refuses to offer an Ap for android to watch Amazon Prime with... so I either watch on a small computer screen or am S.O.L. and will cancel Prime on day 29 before I have to pay (unless I see a reason to get the tablet which is why I am asking on here)- Now I also just learned what a Google Chromecast is also... although I am unsure if Netflix and Hulu Plus are good or bad or what (still have a lot to learn).
    REGARDLESS, can anyone tell me what a Tablet offers that my Note 3 doesn't? Also... what is y'alls opinion on which larger tablet is the best? I don't want to spend $700 on a 64 GB new IPad... but from what little I know I was interested in the Kindle HDX 8.9" or the Google Nexus 10"
    Any help or insight is appreciated.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of portable computing power! I can sympathize with the learning curve you are facing. I had a smart phone for years but never for anything but hitting the internet icon. Regardless of what size you get, if it's android, browse the great General Help and How to forum on here. It's great for learning all the different general ways to get around on your device. Even though I'd had smart phones for years, I had to learn that dots next to an icon meant slide your finger etc. and learned a lot by reading things on that forum. As to the difference in devices, main thing to consider is whether you need an all in one device with a phone? For the budget, a lot of people that see me out an about doing things on my Note 3, marvel that they can get all this productivity and fun on a phone! If possible, having both note tablet and note phone of any generation, just opens up a lot of flexibility by having the right size for any situation. If you like the idea of multi tasking with a split screen, boy, the 10.1 is awesome. I love being able to have the web open on one side and taking notes on the other. On the other hand, my Note 3 is great for always being handy and the great size means it's easy for my older eyes to read, even hours at a time. And, I realize you're looking at other types of tablets, but I'd really recommend a Note 10.1, either the 2014 model or the original. It has features with multi-tasking and special apps that you won't find on anything else.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldManParsons View Post
    Hi, I am very new to smartphones and technology in general re: tablets and smartphones (had a computer for 10 yrs at least). I've been trying to catch-up as much as time allows and for being out of the mix for 15 years I've learned a lot in the past 3 weeks. Um... lol... I should explain that I've been out of the mix for 15 yrs NOT due to prison or a coma... no.. not that complicated... I got married 15 yrs. ago (no... I'm not seeking sympathy... it's ok...I am quite happy actually (although my friends would likely say its really just Stockholm Syndrome) but anyway... I am still confused wondering what a tablet offers that my Note 3 doesn't? Other than the screen being bigger I am ignorant to why else I would want one... or anyone really who has a smartphone.
    Before I realized I was going to get a smartphone I was looking at the Kindle Fire HD... waited for the new 8.9 Fire HDX to come out because I know they had ones that went up to 64GB... and since I am concerned about cloud storage as I dont want to spend $100 a yr. on it the sound of a larger area for memory was intriguing as I like Amazon to begin with... and if I got a tablet it'd be for entertainment reasons more so than anything (but really what else is a tablet for other than socializing or entertainment?). In the meantime as I was waiting for the 8.9" Fire HDX to come out I decided to finally enter the 21st century and get a smartphone. My first ...and I went with the Note 3.... (it was initially like giving the keys of a Ferrari to a toddler).
    Now I learned that I could hook my phone up to my TV by a adapter which is on its way in the mail... and since I am on a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime I figured that I'd watch the free shows they offer through my phone on my 55" HDTV... but I just seen how that isn't happening because Amazon refuses to offer an Ap for android to watch Amazon Prime with... so I either watch on a small computer screen or am S.O.L. and will cancel Prime on day 29 before I have to pay (unless I see a reason to get the tablet which is why I am asking on here)- Now I also just learned what a Google Chromecast is also... although I am unsure if Netflix and Hulu Plus are good or bad or what (still have a lot to learn).
    REGARDLESS, can anyone tell me what a Tablet offers that my Note 3 doesn't? Also... what is y'alls opinion on which larger tablet is the best? I don't want to spend $700 on a 64 GB new IPad... but from what little I know I was interested in the Kindle HDX 8.9" or the Google Nexus 10"
    Any help or insight is appreciated.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of portable computing power! I can sympathize with the learning curve you are facing. I had a smart phone for years but never for anything but hitting the internet icon. Regardless of what size you get, if it's android, browse the great General Help and How to forum on here. It's great for learning all the different general ways to get around on your device. Even though I'd had smart phones for years, I had to learn that dots next to an icon meant slide your finger etc. and learned a lot by reading things on that forum. As to the difference in devices, main thing to consider is whether you need an all in one device with a phone? For the budget, a lot of people that see me out an about doing things on my Note 3, marvel that they can get all this productivity and fun on a phone! If possible, having both note tablet and note phone of any generation, just opens up a lot of flexibility by having the right size for any situation. If you like the idea of multi tasking with a split screen, boy, the 10.1 is awesome. I love being able to have the web open on one side and taking notes on the other. On the other hand, my Note 3 is great for always being handy and the great size means it's easy for my older eyes to read, even hours at a time. And, I realize you're looking at other types of tablets, but I'd really recommend a Note 10.1, either the 2014 model or the original. It has features with multi-tasking and special apps that you won't find on anything else.
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Thanks everyone for your replies. Much appreciated! From the advice to check out the Roku (heard of it and it's on my short list to check out actually) to the words on Nexus 7+10, Note 2014, iPads to letting me know about the General Help forum on here (thanks a lot for that btw) it is all real good stuff and I appreciate everyone sharing your knowledge and giving me your time to reply to me. I have a lot of learning to do first before I can make a choice it seems but y'all have helped me know where to go and what works for you.
    I am old enough to have learned the hard way that a dumb man never learns from his mistakes, a smart man does learn from his mistakes, but a wise man learns from the mistakes of others. That is why I asked. I know there is a lot of people that have a lot more experience in this than I do and your wisdom can help me. Bottom line with this stuff though as I know is that what is perfect for one person isn't always so for the next as it all depends on what you're looking to use it for, where, when, how, and what you already have at your disposal. So I need to read up on it all before making a choice. Thanks again!
    bigdaddytee likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrwallyy View Post
    Honestly, the time that I use my tablet the most is when I'm travelling. Much lighter than carrying a laptop, and bigger screen than a phone, makes watching shows/movies (on a plane) much more enjoyable.
    This is one of the misconceptions I could never figure out until it dawned on me that some people just want an excuse to have an iPad, which is perfectly fine but doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Granted, I use a tablet at work from time to time where I have no actual desk to work off of and can't sit down, but if you don't use your device in a standing position where 1 hand has to actually support the device then I don't see the argument that it's better than a laptop, especially considering the laptops being produced now.

    Case in point, last year I purchased an HP Sleekbook that has an i3 processor, has 4GB of memory, 500GB of disk space. I've since upgraded the laptop with 16GB of memory and a 240GB SSD drive (original was larger but not an SSD) and it STILL cost me less than it would cost me to buy an iPad, plus I have a 14" screen AND a keyboard. It weighs in at only about 1/2 a pound more and is about maybe 4 more inches bigger in dimensions.

    When I have someone ask me at work if they can get an iPad deployed for some VP, I tend to ask them what exactly they need with the iPad. The responses I tend to get range from "I need a way to check email" to "I have a document that I need to work on", which don't exactly quantify needing an iPad over a laptop. If the end user comes back to me with, "I need a toy to occupy a small child that is accompanying me on a trip", then I have no problem with deploying an iPad to them.
    Thanked by:
    jrisch 
    Westiemom likes this.
  15. #15  
    ehosey2's Avatar

    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    This is one of the misconceptions I could never figure out until it dawned on me that some people just want an excuse to have an iPad, which is perfectly fine but doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Granted, I use a tablet at work from time to time where I have no actual desk to work off of and can't sit down, but if you don't use your device in a standing position where 1 hand has to actually support the device then I don't see the argument that it's better than a laptop, especially considering the laptops being produced now.

    Case in point, last year I purchased an HP Sleekbook that has an i3 processor, has 4GB of memory, 500GB of disk space. I've since upgraded the laptop with 16GB of memory and a 240GB SSD drive (original was larger but not an SSD) and it STILL cost me less than it would cost me to buy an iPad, plus I have a 14" screen AND a keyboard. It weighs in at only about 1/2 a pound more and is about maybe 4 more inches bigger in dimensions.

    When I have someone ask me at work if they can get an iPad deployed for some VP, I tend to ask them what exactly they need with the iPad. The responses I tend to get range from "I need a way to check email" to "I have a document that I need to work on", which don't exactly quantify needing an iPad over a laptop. If the end user comes back to me with, "I need a toy to occupy a small child that is accompanying me on a trip", then I have no problem with deploying an iPad to them.

    That was funny.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 8.0.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    If the tablet happens to be a Surface Pro 2... EVERYTHING.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by bitfidelity View Post
    If the tablet happens to be a Surface Pro 2... EVERYTHING.
    You forgot the smiley face at the end.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    Case in point, last year I purchased an HP Sleekbook that has an i3 processor, has 4GB of memory, 500GB of disk space. I've since upgraded the laptop with 16GB of memory and a 240GB SSD drive (original was larger but not an SSD) and it STILL cost me less than it would cost me to buy an iPad, plus I have a 14" screen AND a keyboard. It weighs in at only about 1/2 a pound more and is about maybe 4 more inches bigger in dimensions.
    Don't be silly.

    Your Sleekbook weights 4 pounds and costs about $600-$700 for the base model. Adding $175 for a SSD and 8GB of ram is going to make the price close to $900. It is 13.6x9.4x.8.

    An iPad weighs 1 pound and costs about $500-$929 depending on the options you want. It is 9.4x.6.6x.3.

    Your laptop isn't half a pound heavier, its three pounds heavier. It isn't 4 inches bigger in dimensions, it is 7.5 inches bigger. Thats a really big difference in portability.

    A laptop is a great device. I work on one for ten hours a day and wouldn't give it up for a lot of work. But I haven't traveled with one for three years. For email/web browsing/document viewing/very light document editing an iPad is a much more portable and much better travel companion. You are kidding yourself if you think there isn't a use-case where it is miles better for a traveler then a laptop. Not every traveler, but a lot of them.

    But, so it a Note 3. For the last year, I have only bought my tablet with me on trips when I needed access to large books or spreadsheets, or when I wanted to catch up on my magazines.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    I have the Note 10.1 and The Galaxy Note 3. I love the both of them. I use my 10.1 for taking notes in church and at school as well as for teaching. Great for watching movies. I use the Gnote3 for work I actually used it in meetings with an overhead. I also use it to get signatures for reports at work. I love both of my Notes.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    I own the Note 8.0 to complement my OG note(yeah I know) =). I find the portability of the note 8.0 great for work, and I also like the larger screen size for watching movies on the road.

    Sent from my SGH-I717M using AC Forums mobile app
  21. #21  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    Don't be silly.

    Your Sleekbook weights 4 pounds and costs about $600-$700 for the base model. Adding $175 for a SSD and 8GB of ram is going to make the price close to $900. It is 13.6x9.4x.8.

    An iPad weighs 1 pound and costs about $500-$929 depending on the options you want. It is 9.4x.6.6x.3.

    Your laptop isn't half a pound heavier, its three pounds heavier. It isn't 4 inches bigger in dimensions, it is 7.5 inches bigger. Thats a really big difference in portability.

    A laptop is a great device. I work on one for ten hours a day and wouldn't give it up for a lot of work. But I haven't traveled with one for three years. For email/web browsing/document viewing/very light document editing an iPad is a much more portable and much better travel companion. You are kidding yourself if you think there isn't a use-case where it is miles better for a traveler then a laptop. Not every traveler, but a lot of them.

    But, so it a Note 3. For the last year, I have only bought my tablet with me on trips when I needed access to large books or spreadsheets, or when I wanted to catch up on my magazines.
    I actually bought the sleekbook for $400 (yes new and courtesy of a sizable coupon, you just have to hunt), the 16GB cost me about $40, and the SSD ran me $135 (Thus $400 + $40 + $135 = $575). My Sleekbook weighs in at about 2.9 lbs from the factory and I'm betting a little less going from a conventional HD to a SSD (there's a noticeable difference in how much these different drives weigh). Even if we're talking about 2 lbs of difference, considering how much you give up in function over form, then as I stated, it doesn't make sense to me.

    As someone that's worked in the IT field for over 10 years, the iPad presents a huge step forward in consumer entertainment electronics, but a huge step backwards in the realm of corporate IT, not just because of the limitations with Office products, but also because of how many more resources need to be deployed in order to facilitate an iPad in the corporate environment. I used to work for a company that would give a $50 iTunes gift card with every iPad deployed because they didn't want to invest in the infrastructure needed to manage applications at a corporate level. They found it easier to just give the end user the gift card and have them buy the apps as needed, which isn't very efficient. My statement still stands, 99% of ALL corporate endeavors can be handled more efficiently by something other than an iPad. An iPad is a neat toy, but an over-priced, overrated toy.



    Below is the invoice for my SSD, I don't have invoices for the other devices readily available, but with a little research, you can always find great deals.

    240631682 Toshiba 240GB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive Upgrade Kit - SATA/600 $149.99 $0.00 $0.00 $149.99
    80600430 $15 off $50 on Products from Shop Owners ($15.00) $0.00 $0.00 ($15.00)
    TOTAL $134.99 $0.00 $0.00 $134.99
    Please note that we bill for each product as it ships.
    bigdaddytee likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    This is one of the misconceptions I could never figure out until it dawned on me that some people just want an excuse to have an iPad, which is perfectly fine but doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Granted, I use a tablet at work from time to time where I have no actual desk to work off of and can't sit down, but if you don't use your device in a standing position where 1 hand has to actually support the device then I don't see the argument that it's better than a laptop, especially considering the laptops being produced now.

    Case in point, last year I purchased an HP Sleekbook that has an i3 processor, has 4GB of memory, 500GB of disk space. I've since upgraded the laptop with 16GB of memory and a 240GB SSD drive (original was larger but not an SSD) and it STILL cost me less than it would cost me to buy an iPad, plus I have a 14" screen AND a keyboard. It weighs in at only about 1/2 a pound more and is about maybe 4 more inches bigger in dimensions.

    When I have someone ask me at work if they can get an iPad deployed for some VP, I tend to ask them what exactly they need with the iPad. The responses I tend to get range from "I need a way to check email" to "I have a document that I need to work on", which don't exactly quantify needing an iPad over a laptop. If the end user comes back to me with, "I need a toy to occupy a small child that is accompanying me on a trip", then I have no problem with deploying an iPad to them.
    I'm not a desktop guy, so my main computer is a 17 inch gaming laptop, with an extended battery. Doesn't exactly sit comfortably on a tray in an airplane. I don't need 2 laptops. With a tablet (that I bought for around $250), I can do what I need when I travel, and it has the Play Store, therefore essentially allowing me to use apps that are on my phone on a bigger screen.
    HTC Hero > HTC Evo > HTC Evo 3D > Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  23. #23  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrwallyy View Post
    I'm not a desktop guy, so my main computer is a 17 inch gaming laptop, with an extended battery. Doesn't exactly sit comfortably on a tray in an airplane. I don't need 2 laptops. With a tablet (that I bought for around $250), I can do what I need when I travel, and it has the Play Store, therefore essentially allowing me to use apps that are on my phone on a bigger screen.
    Sounds like my laptop, Qosmio perhaps? I have an X505-Q890 that's a nasty beast to lug around. IIRC, it weighs in at 10 lbs, has a 19" screen and is not exactly "portable". Hence the reason I bought the much smaller HP.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    Sounds like my laptop, Qosmio perhaps? I have an X505-Q890 that's a nasty beast to lug around. IIRC, it weighs in at 10 lbs, has a 19" screen and is not exactly "portable". Hence the reason I bought the much smaller HP.
    Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DV7-7012nr Notebook PC, Midnight Black: Computers & Accessories
    HTC Hero > HTC Evo > HTC Evo 3D > Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  25. #25  

    Default Re: What does a tablet offer that a Note 3 doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    I actually bought the sleekbook for $400 (yes new and courtesy of a sizable coupon, you just have to hunt), the 16GB cost me about $40, and the SSD ran me $135 (Thus $400 + $40 + $135 = $575).
    So when you say your latop is cheaper then a tablet, you are comparing your heavily discounted laptop against full retail of a loaded up version of the most expensive tablet available. That's certainly a fair comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    Even if we're talking about 2 lbs of difference, considering how much you give up in function over form, then as I stated, it doesn't make sense to me.
    That's ok, it doesn't make sense to Microsoft either. That's why they spent the last ten years coming out with these giant tablets that were really just crippled laptops. They all died, because it turns out that a lot of people really only want email/web browsing/file viewing.

    2 extra pounds might not seem like a lot to you, but for people who don't need that extra function you think they want, triple to quadruple the weight is a big deal. That's why Apple and Samsung and Google are selling loads of tablets, and sales of ultrabooks and laptops are in the sewer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does "OK Google" wake the phone from sleep?
    By whitenack in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 10:46 AM
  2. Note 3 not displaying Date in Lock Screen or Pull Down tab Help???
    By socacola in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2014, 12:39 PM
  3. What should I do to update my s4?
    By mado1999 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 05:43 AM
  4. Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Messaging App
    By jomac403 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 02:20 AM
  5. Updated Apps and Apps that need it ...
    By fritzo81 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 01:39 AM

Posting Permissions