Wifi not being reported as actually being off?

Zogundar

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that even when I disable Wifi for a time, according to the "time on" reports I see in various battery apps, it's always on. Even when it's been off for hours at a time I see one clean uninterrupted bar in the default battery program's graph. GSam Battery Monitor reports that the phone, Phone Radio, and Wifi have all been on for the same amount of time. What gives? I'd hoped I'd save some power by shutting Wi-Fi (And Sync) off at night..

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes indeed you have saved power by doing that but,.... you need to go into the wifi settings and uncheck....Always allow scanning.... and if you don't want to see a constant switch between wifi and mobile connection, uncheck Auto network switch also...The reason you see a line even when disconnected is because other google services keep wifi scanning therefore, using more battery.

Zogundar

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes indeed you have saved power by doing that but,.... you need to go into the wifi settings and uncheck....Always allow scanning.... and if you don't want to see a constant switch between wifi and mobile connection, uncheck Auto network switch also...The reason you see a line even when disconnected is because other google services keep wifi scanning therefore, using more battery.

Ahh, I see it. What purpose does scanning for networks while you have Wifi turned off serve? It's off! If I wanted to use it to connect to a network, I'd have it turned on!

While I'm at it, what is the "Keep Wifi on during sleep" option? (Or rather, what is "sleep"? Hopefully that's not a can of worms.)

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, I see it. What purpose does scanning for networks while you have Wifi turned off serve? It's off! If I wanted to use it to connect to a network, I'd have it turned on!

While I'm at it, what is the "Keep Wifi on during sleep" option? (Or rather, what is "sleep"? Hopefully that's not a can of worms.)
It is a way to save battery while the phone in lets say in stand by....here is a link with information on the subject: Android 101: Save battery by keeping Wifi alive | Android Central
And for the constant scanning, here is another link that will give you some of the reasons : http://www.ricksdailytips.com/android-4-3-wifi-scanning/

While I'm at it, what is the "Keep Wifi on during sleep" option?

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It is a way to save battery while the phone in lets say in stand by....here is a link with information on the subject: Android 101: Save battery by keeping Wifi alive | Android Central
And for the constant scanning, here is another link that will give you some of the reasons : http://www.ricksdailytips.com/android-4-3-wifi-scanning/

Thanks. I knew I was doing something right. I find that using wifi and leaving it on when at home uses less battery.

Sent From Samsung Note 3