Anyone using Hangouts for SMS instead of standard SMS app?

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm a fan of hangouts but I would like to get the preview message like the stock client. Also I like the black background of the stock client so that has me sticking for stock for now. If hangouts gets both of those without me having to root then I'm game for a change over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

kw64

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Try ChompSMS... Made by the textra people and it doesn't effect the other text apps. I can go to the stock app and it works fine.
ChompSMS was what I switched to after Textra. I even bought the add-free version. But one thing is ChompSMS is very lag when I scroll through a long conversation. I have virtually tried each and every SMS app out there and found nothing perfect yet. For the mean time I'm deciding between Hangouts and Hello...

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
ChompSMS was what I switched to after Textra. I even bought the add-free version. But one thing is ChompSMS is very lag when I scroll through a long conversation. I have virtually tried each and every SMS app out there and found nothing perfect yet. For the mean time I'm deciding between Hangouts and Hello...
Have you tried 8sms yet? I've been trying out tons of SMS apps as well and this one I really like :)

NoteTheDate

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm using hangouts but every time I send a gif the receiver receives a static image. I get gifs fine from hangout and when I use stock they receive the gif fine.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I always used Hangouts on my Nexus 4.
However, I just got my Note 3 yesterday and the long vibration associated with the Hangouts notification is killing me.
Worst of all, it cant be changed..

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep. I get the notification is the notification bar....what I'm looking for is the little indicator that tells me how many unopened messages I have...you know the little orange circle with the number in it.

Posted via Android Central App

Sorry. You only get the notification in the status bar. No circle with number in it. Not having some sort of count or preview annoys me.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
No.

1. The hangouts contact list is a retarded Mish Mash of everything on your phone.

2. It's at a huge feature deficit compared to the stock messaging app.

3. Messaging will send a map link and address when you share location. Hangouts only sends the map link as a picture.

4. Apart from location and picture you cannot send much else with Hangouts. I think you can record a video. That's it. No voice note or contact, memo, etc.

5. Extremely limited customize ability.

6. Sluggish performance compared to a lot of other messaging and IM apps.

7. The IM component is worthless cause Google+ is needed to put it on feature parity with the SMS conponent.

8. No notification Badges, Lock Screen Notifications, etc.

There is more nut that is enough for me

I use stock messaging. It'd just a messaging app. It doesn't need everything and the kitchen sink, but Hangouts it less capable than the iOS messaging app. Simply not usable for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Tried Hangouts for....less than an hour. Back to the stock messaging application. For me it....just works.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

kw64

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
If only Hello get more features update - start in conversation list instead of in the recent conversation, options of conversation bubbles/text colours & size, more detailed time stamp, repeat reminders etc, it'd be (almost) perfect.

sliver108

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
If you really like Hangouts just have 2 3rd party apps. Not like it will hurt anything. Use textra for pop up reply's and contact specific alerts while using hangouts for outgoing texts and real time messaging from within the app. Silly...yes but it does accomplish a goal.

sliver108

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I think that is the thing...the UI. After reading this thread I couldn't help but to dig into this topic a little more. I used to (3 weeks ago) used GoSMS on my S3 and never messed with any of the features really. I upgraded to a Note 3 and just used Hangouts because I wanted to give it a try. Since yesterday I started messing with all of the features in Go and Textra. Long story short...Go SMS won by a long shot so I am using it again. I guess Google just figured people would use it since it is there. That make be true for some but power users and techies want and often need more. Hangouts has a large way to go before it is even on the same level...besides the UI.