Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By z06mike
  • 1 Post By ShaggyKids
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Something is eating up A LOT OF DATA on my Note III. How do I find out?

Wow. Something is eating up my monthly data allotment.

Is there a way to find out what apps are using the most data? I can't believe I got a warning from AT&T so early in the month that I am my nearing my data threshold.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Default Re: Something is eating up A LOT OF DATA on my Note III. How do I find out?

Yes....go to your "Usage" menu in settings...can see what the culprit is....chewing thru Ur data

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

Default Re: Something is eating up A LOT OF DATA on my Note III. How do I find out?

Do you have any sort of auto backup on?

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

You know what I think it *MAY* be...and perhaps you guys can confirm this...

I have a tethering plan of 4GB per month. I tether while at work, for a few minutes each day.

Generally, I don't go over 2.5GB in a single month. That's consistent.

Suddenly, now just halfway through the month, I have already eaten 3GB of data.

I am not quite sure if the area I was in had a 4G LTE signal or not. However, AT&T has been turning on LTE throughout the State of NJ for the past year.

If my work area was suddenly upgraded to 4G LTE, I am *guessing* the same amount of data that I use has been amplified by the faster speed.

Does that sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
    Yes....go to your "Usage" menu in settings...can see what the culprit is....chewing thru Ur data

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk
    Yeah go to your data usage menu to see what apps are using data

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post

If my work area was suddenly upgraded to 4G LTE, I am *guessing* the same amount of data that I use has been amplified by the faster speed.

Does that sound about right?
    That would not affect the amount of data usage, only the speed. Think of it like this :
    Picture two glasses of water; one has a small straw, one has a huge straw the diameter of a garden hose.

You can drink the water faster through a bigger straw, but in the end you're drinking the same amount of water.

Water =data.
    Small straw = 3G or EDGE
    Big straw = LTE

As others have said, check the data usage on the phone to find the culprit.

Hope this helps,
    -Brett.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Brett,

That is a perfect explanation.

Oh, I did check the data usage. It is the tethering taking up the most data. Just wondering why it's through the roof this month compared to others. Same usage. Perhaps less.

I just purchased Note III and I am having the same problem. It used almost 10 gigs in the first 2 weeks!

Have you found a solution?

Please post a screen shot of the data usage in the settings

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by rbrtschif1 View Post
    I just purchased Note III and I am having the same problem. It used almost 10 gigs in the first 2 weeks!

Have you found a solution?
    Yup, PUT... THE... PHONE... DOWN!!!!
    Madd54 and Jalopiejoe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by z06mike View Post
    Yup, PUT... THE... PHONE... DOWN!!!!
    LOL.
    ..... and turn on Parental Control, or you'll go blind.

Ahemm!!
    All here to help - of course!

Posted via Android Central App
    I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    LOL.
    ..... and turn on Parental Control, or you'll go blind.

Ahemm!!
    All here to help - of course!

Posted via Android Central App
    oh sneaky! LOL!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
    Madd54 likes this.

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts

I have/had similar issues, but am no where near 10 gigs in 2 weeks. I'm mainly streaming Sirius at work, so not going blind.

I use My Data Manager to monitor usage, and block A LOT of apps access with App ops (Xposed Module).

I'd really rather not have to pay that much attention to it. I'm on Vz and am seriously debating buying an unlimited plan via ebay.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

It's happened to me since I switched to a 4G router. I think I'm burning through a lot more content instead of waiting for stuff to load on 3G. That's my theory anyway. I'm on my phone 6-9 hours most days so my habits haven't changed. Just the data speed. I'm on Sprint, btw.

Ironically, I rarely see 4G at home on my unlimited phone plan, but the 4G router 30 gig cap, of course, blazing fast 4G, rarely 3G. Go figure.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

I have a Samsung Galaxy III. This month the data went off the charts. I only use the camera infrequently and send images, and also text messages. Nothing else. I took the phone to the Verizon store and they are replacing the entire phone. The phone has has a mind of it's own switching to different modes and call settings. It seems pretty unstable and I'm wondering if there is a true "fix" or if I should ask for a more recent version of the phone.