Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By rivencap
  • 1 Post By Madd54
  • 1 Post By n8ter#AC
  • 1 Post By Madd54
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Safe for offline reading

Hi All,

I saw in this page Samsung Galaxy S3: How to Offline Reading that the stock Galaxy browser allows you to save web pages for offline reading, but I don't see that option in my Internet app.

Is this something missing in the Note 3, or does it perhaps require an SD card (I don't have one in my SGN3 yet), or is it some other version of Android?

Thanks!

Rob

Default Re: Safe for offline reading

Good question! Besides the scrapbook option, there is no way to view it offline. And that option only gives that page/section you save. Hopefully some other users will chim in.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Palm Treo 600/650/700P/Centro/Blackberry Curve 8330/Tour 9630/Bold 9650/HTC EVO 4G/Samsung Galaxy Epic SII Touch 4G/Samsung Galaxy Epic SIII Touch LTE!!!
    robertmarkbram likes this.

I found this until someone else posts different.

Check out "Pocket"
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eaditlater.pro

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! 😆📱😆
    Palm Treo 600/650/700P/Centro/Blackberry Curve 8330/Tour 9630/Bold 9650/HTC EVO 4G/Samsung Galaxy Epic SII Touch 4G/Samsung Galaxy Epic SIII Touch LTE!!!
    Thanked by:

Duh, forgot about Google Currents too. Sorry.

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! 😆📱😆
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by rivencap View Post
    Duh, forgot about Google Currents too. Sorry.

Palm Treo line > BlackBerry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW the awesome & powerful Samsung Galaxy Note 3! ������
    I will check out Currents.

I had one fairly specific use case in mind and investigated Evernote, Instapaper, Pocket and Readability, all of which essentially failed at offering search. In the end I settled on Opera as a limited workaround. I wrote up my efforts here: The Blog for Rob: Chrome to mobile device with offline storage and search
    Thanked by:

It's gone missing! We used to have it, even found a T-mobile site that lists commands and it's shown as a menu option. (t-mobile list here Menu tree: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | T-Mobile Support might find it helpful)
    I know I've seen it on mine, but it's not there now. I guess we can thank Samsung for that last tiny upgrade!

It is simple to save a web page for offline reading on Note 3!
    For example you are here on this page reading this thread, you can save for offline reading by tapping with your finger or s pen (more simple) up in the link bar( where you rite www...) when you see the green reader icon at the beginning of the web link. After that a new page will open, where you push menu button to save as image.

Quote Originally Posted by Demian Sorin View Post
    For example you are here on this page reading this thread, you can save for offline reading by tapping with your finger or s pen (more simple) up in the link bar( where you rite www...) when you see the green reader icon at the beginning of the web link. After that a new page will open, where you push menu button to save as image.
    Would you be willing to part a screen shot? I'm unable to find what you are referring to. Thank you.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Demian Sorin View Post
    For example you are here on this page reading this thread, you can save for offline reading by tapping with your finger or s pen (more simple) up in the link bar( where you rite http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...y-note-3/www...) when you see the green reader icon at the beginning of the web link. After that a new page will open, where you push menu button to save as image.
    I am sorry, but that is a truly horrible solution.. This is what this page looks like when a screen shot is taken via this method.

Safe for offline reading-android-forums-androidcentral_com2014_01_12_09_11_25.jpg

This gives you a better idea of the use case I was actually after: The Blog for Rob: Chrome to mobile device with offline storage and search

• Save a page from my PC
    • Access it on my mobile device
    • In offline mode
    • In a state where I can view it as the online version appears
    • and search for text within it
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Wow, the Chrome to Mobile extension really wins out here. From your desktop Chrome, you can send any page to your mobile device (which opens automatically in Chrome) and there is an option send an offline version.

Quote Originally Posted by robertmarkbram View Post
    Wow, the Chrome to Mobile extension really wins out here. From your desktop Chrome, you can send any page to your mobile device (which opens automatically in Chrome) and there is an option send an offline version.
    I do not have that Option on my Note 3 for Chrome.

On my Note 3 I do NOT have the option to save for Offline Reading in any of my Browsers (Internet Stock Browser, Firefox, Dolphin, or Chrome). Must be for an older Android Operating System, or only for KitKat.

I have found several ways to save webpages for Offline Reading. I've mostly been using several apps to save as a PDF file. I upgraded to Website to PDF Pro, only cost 99 cents. Well worth the small investment.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
    I do not have that Option on my Note 3 for Chrome.
    On my Note 3 I do NOT have the option to save for Offline Reading in any of my Browsers (Internet Stock Browser, Firefox, Dolphin, or Chrome). Must be for an older Android Operating System, or only for KitKat.
    No, I wasn't referring to saving the page FROM Android.. Instead, I send the page to my mobile from my desktop Chrome, ticking the option that says "Also send copy for offline viewing (1 MB)."

Rob

It's back with KitKat 4.4.

Any way to save a full page for offline reading, as in 4.1.2.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Madd54; 04-08-2014 at 08:17 AM.
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by robertmarkbram View Post
    Chrome to Mobile requires you to have Chrome Installed on your Desktop as well as your Phone (it's installed, but it's one of the first things I disabled), which is a showstopper for me. Chrome is too much bloat. I can do without it.

The option to Save for Offline in the Samsung Browser apparently isn't in 4.3, but it's in 4.4.
    Thanked by 2:

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by claudia inshaw View Post
    Hello
    Hello. You may like to say Hi in "Introductions" which is in the "Android Central Community".
    You'll get a warm welcome there from several of our Ambassadors, Moderators and lower life forms like me.
    They can direct you with any queries also.
    Knock hard on the door - they're probably playing video games.

Via my Note 3 on AC.
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    19,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by claudia inshaw View Post
    Hello
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/introductions/

Welcome to the forums!

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    Madd54 
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    The option to Save for Offline in the Samsung Browser apparently isn't in 4.3, but it's in 4.4.
    I still only have 4.3.