Spigen Slim Armour case - crack already

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else has had an issue yet. I have sent an email to Spigen today to see how they want to fix this, if they don't, I will most likely go back to Otter Box.

I had preordered my case, and went through the whole wait with everyone else, and the disaster of a shipping and tracking numbers.

After all of that, they got me a case that I was pleased with. Now, not even 45 days later, there is a crack through the colored plastic case part, from where the volume buttons are, to the top of the hard plastic case. Wanted to see if others are having an issue, as in possible QC issue, or just a defect in mine.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
No issues yet on mine. I've dropped it a couple of times so far, but only onto carpet.

I'd love an Otterbox Defender, but I can't stomach $60 for one.

Rob

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else has had an issue yet. I have sent an email to Spigen today to see how they want to fix this, if they don't, I will most likely go back to Otter Box.

I had preordered my case, and went through the whole wait with everyone else, and the disaster of a shipping and tracking numbers.

After all of that, they got me a case that I was pleased with. Now, not even 45 days later, there is a crack through the colored plastic case part, from where the volume buttons are, to the top of the hard plastic case. Wanted to see if others are having an issue, as in possible QC issue, or just a defect in mine.

Did you drop the case???

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
No issues yet on mine. I've dropped it a couple of times so far, but only onto carpet.

I'd love an Otterbox Defender, but I can't stomach $60 for one.

Rob

I love the Otter Box too, and though its more expensive, they are worth the money. My Commuter Series saved my iPhone when it got run over by 3 cars. I then replaced it with a Defender, but I emailed Otter Box to let them know how pleased I was, and even though the case was destroyed, the phone was saved. They sent me a new one. Talk about great customer service. I have a Water Proof box from them too, that I would trust anything in. My note goes in it, when on the boat.

Did you drop the case???

Nope. Not a scratch on the case. I've had it for 43 days, and just normal use. Swapped phones one at Verizon, and so that is the only time a phone has been in and out of the case.

Post a picture so we can see what it looks like.

Will do when I get home to my camera. I don't want to take the phone out, and make it worse than it is.

I know some people would not care, its just a crack. But, with the wait for the case, and 30 or 35 bucks for it, I would expect it to last longer than this without cracking under normal use. It goes in my pocket to work, sits in the cup holder in the car, on my desk when working, and then back to the pocket to go home.

Its not limiting its fuctionality, but it also shouldn't break. Here's hoping they make it right.

le10017

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Mine is cracked in the same place. Right above the volume button. It seems to be the weakest point on the case. Not sure how yours cracked, but mine cracked by removing the case from my phone by peeling the corner, then SNAP!

Any response from Spigen?

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
If you dropped it, IMO, it did its job.. If you didn't drop it, then I think they should give you another one.. I got the Bounce case, since it is some sort of hard rubber, it will not crack.. At least I don't think it will..

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine is still going strong, but I do have a Slim Armor View coming at the end of the month and it will replace my Slim Armor (white) since I don't need multiple cases.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine is cracked in the same place. Right above the volume button. It seems to be the weakest point on the case. Not sure how yours cracked, but mine cracked by removing the case from my phone by peeling the corner, then SNAP!

Mine cracked the exact same way when I was removing the case

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Here is a pic

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386959965260.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386959965260.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 84

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Mine cracked the exact same way when I was removing the case

I actually just got a response last night from Spigen. I forgot to post the picture in here, but it looks just like dpham00, just in red.

I emailed and went about 6 days before I got a reply, and then sent a picture and what they requested, and again it was 8 days before another reply.

This most recent email states that they can see that it is out of warranty(not sure how long theirs is, since its not even mentioned on their website, that I could find. But because of how long it took for them to respond, they would send me another cover to replace it. They said it wasn't a manufacturing error. I am happy, I am getting a fixed one. We will see how long it lasts. It saves my money from the otterbox for the time being.

I did not drop it, or do anything that should have broken it. It has never been dropped, and the phone has been removed once when swapping at Verizon. I would be interested to know what the warranty was, since it could have run out in just waiting to get a reply.

For future thoughts, I will just wait on Otter Box, they are so easy to get something from if it might be a warranty issue. I assume it comes from being a larger and more successful business, that can in turn afford to make sure everyone is happy and loves their stuff. I will admit it is not the sleekest, and can be bulky, but damn it will protect it.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
My Neo Hybrid is still going strong.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1386970455989.jpg
    1386970455989.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 69

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Neo hybrid case doesn't have the same weak point as the slim armor

I am wondering if the New S-View by Spigen will have the same problem? I placed an pre-order for it. They are almost built the same.

le10017

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Appreciate the update. I messaged Spigen from their site. Atleast I have an idea what to expect on response times. I also have the red one and my crack is practically identical to the picture. Honestly, I wouldn't call this a defect, but more of a design flaw. I figure what we know now, if I get a replacement, I now how to remove the case without straining the weak point. Crossing my fingers I get this resolved.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering if the New S-View by Spigen will have the same problem? I placed an pre-order for it. They are almost built the same.

I wouldn't be surprised. The distance between the volume button edge and edge of the white portion looks to be small similar to the spigen slim armor.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386986020061.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386986020061.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 65

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Got my replacement shell... Had a defect... Guess where...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387860839542.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387860839542.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 71
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387860856854.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387860856854.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 69

le10017

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Wow... That's terrible. I assume the packaging was fine and wasn't damaged/crushed during delivery. Come to think of it, it's in what looks like a cardboard envelope. Not good.... I should get my replacements in a week or two.

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Honestly the amount of people having bad experiences with spigens customer service has put me off, I've seen quite a few people have problems with this case and the plastic on the neo hybrids breaking too. Think I'm going for an urban armour gear case instead

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay