Note 3: Barometer sensor problem. Just me?

ph0b0s123

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
2013-11-28-21-14-12.jpg
2013-11-26-08-04-14.jpg
Pictures paint a thousand words. As can be seen above I have been getting unusual readings from the barometer sensor on my new note 3. I have run the self test on the barometer sensor and it passed. This is not surprising since the odd readings are intermittent. I am obviously using the app SyPressure, but have also had spurious readings from other barometer capturing apps as well. At this stage I have no idea whether this is a hardware or software issue or if the sensor is still calibrating. This all worked fine on my Note 2. Also these reading were when the phone was just sitting on the table in one place, not when the phone was on the move in any way.

I wanted to ask if there are any other Note 3 barometer users out there who have had anything like this or is it just me, i.e a hardware fault on my device?

Obviously I am also interested if anyone else is using SyPressure or another app that stores the barometer readings on their note and not having a problem. This will be evidence that it is a hardware issue just with my Note 3.

Thanks

Device: Note 3 - GT-N9005 brought sim-free unlocked.

Last edited by a moderator:

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Barometer sensor problem. Just me?

This is what i got. Looks like mines is working.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387266650931.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387266650931.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 85
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387266661200.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387266661200.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 85

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

The Note 3 has barometer, relative humidity, relative and ambient temperature senors. You have a mobile weather station in your pocket. As this is one of the very few phones with these senors, finding an app is difficult.

[Forgot about the magnetic sensor]

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

The Note 3 has barometer, relative humidity, relative and ambient temperature senors. You have a mobile weather station in your pocket. As this one of the very few phones with these senors, finding an app is difficult.

I knew the S4 had the barometer and ambient temp sensors but never knew how to access them. On the same note though (pun intended), I DIDN'T know the Note 3 had them as well.

scott40

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Mine is working okay. But I like weather signal better.

Posted via Android Central App

brian181

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

nice to know we have a barometer! good to know i can use it for more than making phone calls ;)

loaded the Barometer & Altimeter app by Alessandro Rosso. playing around with it, and compared the reading to a local wunderground station. my N3 has 29.83, the station has 29.86; seems pretty accurate. The temperature is within 2 degrees of my thermostat, and the relative humidity is within 3% of my wall unit.

ph0b0s123

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

This is what i got. Looks like mines is working.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response, but you are looking at the measurement at just one time. If you see from the screens I pasted I was using the historic function, that showed I was getting a bad reading only once in a while. The rest of the time the readings were normal.

Please see if you get any funny readings over a 24 or 48 hour period

Last edited:

ph0b0s123

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Mine is working okay. But I like weather signal better.

Is this taken as a one time reading or when you have sypressure recording the readings over a 24 or 48 hour period? I like sypressure as it tries to make weather forecasts based on the pressures it is seeing, but each to their own. I did try weather signal and also got a few funny readings over 24 to 48 hour period.

What I mean be a funny reading is one that was below 900 or above 1100 millibars, which should never happen especially if the phone is sitting in the same place the whole time....

ph0b0s123

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

nice to know we have a barometer! good to know i can use it for more than making phone calls ;)

loaded the Barometer & Altimeter app by Alessandro Rosso. playing around with it, and compared the reading to a local wunderground station. my N3 has 29.83, the station has 29.86; seems pretty accurate. The temperature is within 2 degrees of my thermostat, and the relative humidity is within 3% of my wall unit.

Be aware though that your measurement may not be the same as weather stations. Weather stations have their readings corrected to sea level pressure: Sea-level Barometric Pressure Correction. Some barometric apps will do this correction for you using the GPS to determine altitude.

anto95

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

When i put *#0*# i can see the barometer problem it displays the altitude too but the problem is that the altitude is always negative (-13 or -14) even though i am on the 3rd floor.
Can anyone tell how to fix it?

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

Just download Samsung's own Barometer app from the Samsung app store see if it reads different...

anto95

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
The samsung app ( s baro) display network provided values it do not use the phone sensors.

Sent from my SM-N900 using AC Forums mobile app

praveeninday

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
My note 3 barometer is not responding!!!
It's not a hardware issue , because it was working when I updated to kit kat.
Later I rooted the OS and re booted. ..and the barometer is not responding.
This was the case with 4.3 version of the OS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair