The Note 3's screen sometimes makes me feel like I'm Rob Ford....

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
....I swear I don't do crack, but sometimes I'll swipe the phone awake, and I'll see some weird icons on the notification bar or on the main screen that appear for a split second and then go away. I have to look quick, but I see it from time to time. It happens so fast that I can't get a good make on what it may be. Anyone else notice this on their phone or am I just going all.....

rob-ford-reaction-gifs.gif

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you're suffering from Phantom Notification Syndrome. It might be a thing. After all, right after cellphones were made popular, a new, medically-valid-if-psycologically-absurd syndrome arose: Phantom Vibration Syndrome. People ARE getting to the point where they can FEEL and/or HEAR their cellphones vibrating or ringing even though they're not or even when the cellphone's not even with them. More common with people who keep their phone in their front pants pockets (something to do with thighs being more sensitive).

That being said, I haven't seen any of that... yet... But what you could do is get a camcorder, place it so it's always looking at the screen (and it's in focus) and just record yourself turning the screen on, then off, then on, then off... until you see your notification icons. Then you can review the video, frame by frame. If you have one of those cameras that can record 'slow mo' video at true 120fps or more, that's better (but will take you longer to find the right frame hehe).

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Phantom notifications? Must unlock note 3 in front of high speed camcorder and catch these devils!

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I would record every single time I swipe the phone awake, but I guess I'm not that concerned, yet. I just wanted to see if anyone else saw weird icons and weird home screens upon waking the phone for the first time. Maybe it's the NSA?!?! secret.gif

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You know what, all jokes aside, I just thought of ONE thing that might be happening. Do you have an SD Card inserted? Samsung phones haven't been too good with SD Cards lately (I've had and read issues since the Note 2), and it MIGHT be unmounting/remounting the SD Card on it's own. You would see a triangle with an exclamation mark in it saying that the SD Card failed and unmounted unexpectedly, then an SD card with a gear on it saying that it's been re-inserted and it's being mounted (no kinky boys, NOT THAT...geesh), and then a can't-remember-what-it-looks-like icon saying that the system is scanning your SD Card for errors. Actually, if this is happening, you should see a spike in battery consumption from "Media Service" in your phone. This, by the way, is also a major battery drain especially if you have a large number of files in your card.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You know what, all jokes aside, I just thought of ONE thing that might be happening. Do you have an SD Card inserted? Samsung phones haven't been too good with SD Cards lately (I've had and read issues since the Note 2), and it MIGHT be unmounting/remounting the SD Card on it's own. You would see a triangle with an exclamation mark in it saying that the SD Card failed and unmounted unexpectedly, then an SD card with a gear on it saying that it's been re-inserted and it's being mounted (no kinky boys, NOT THAT...geesh), and then a can't-remember-what-it-looks-like icon saying that the system is scanning your SD Card for errors. Actually, if this is happening, you should see a spike in battery consumption from "Media Service" in your phone. This, by the way, is also a major battery drain especially if you have a large number of files in your card.

You may be onto something here. I actually had a Sandisk Ultra 64 GB up until a few days ago that was demonstrating issues in my rezound. I've had a history of issues with that particular brand. I'm on my 2nd replacement with them. Since I switched to a Samsung SD card (only 32 GB), I haven't really seen the weird icons, granted I only made the switch about a week ago.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Samsung and SanDisk don't get along very well, especially with the Ultra line (actually, if you had an SD Ultra card manufactured prior to December 2012 and you called SanDisk to tell them you were using them on a Samsung device, they would send you a new card, no questions asked).

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, Samsung and SanDisk don't get along very well, especially with the Ultra line (actually, if you had an SD Ultra card manufactured prior to December 2012 and you called SanDisk to tell them you were using them on a Samsung device, they would send you a new card, no questions asked).

I use microcenter brand, they told me its the same manufacturer as Patriots ones. Quite cheap. Sandisk seems always overpriced....

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

I haven't had any problems with my month old Sandisk 64gb Ultra Class 10 card. I got tons of movies and music on it.. When I saw your Dec 2012 cutoff day, I have another one that I purchased at the same time, so I looked at the date on package, and it states 2013.. BTW, I formatted the one in my Note 3 on the phone too. I think that helps some issues...

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any problems with my month old Sandisk 64gb Ultra Class 10 card. I got tons of movies and music on it.. When I saw your Dec 2012 cutoff day, I have another one that I purchased at the same time, so I looked at the date on package, and it states 2013.. BTW, I formatted the one in my Note 3 on the phone too. I think that helps some issues...

No issues with my 64GB card in my note 3.

Posted via Android Central App

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Give it some time. I had no problem with mine 6 months in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC