1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Polaris office 5 taking lots of battery but I didnt think I had used the app till today.

Google services is usually my first battery hog, then screen, then android system, then OS..... Today I checked in on my battery usage and Polaris was 2nd on the list. Has only used 21m34s of CPU but that is 14%. Phone is lower than usual at this time of the day. I am usually past 3pm before I am below 65%, but I am at 60% right now. 1h21m of screen time is 20% of 8h4m of total on time.

Polaris cannot be uninstalled or force stopped. Any idea what I have done to make it active? Any idea what this app does? I opened it and it has excel files and PDF files in it that I have viewed. Today is not the first day I have looked at a PDF, but this is the first day I have had Polaris on my battery list. I restarted my phone and it came back on the battery list.

Any idea on why this is all of a sudden a problem app?

Looks like my build number is:
    jss15j.n900aucubmi9
    Is that my OS version?

Samsung asked to update apps yesterday and I was stupid enough to say yes this time, even though I usually ignore those requests.

Default Re: Polaris office 5 taking lots of battery but I didnt think I had used the app till today.

Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    Google services is usually my first battery hog, then screen, then android system, then OS..... Today I checked in on my battery usage and Polaris was 2nd on the list. Has only used 21m34s of CPU but that is 14%. Phone is lower than usual at this time of the day. I am usually past 3pm before I am below 65%, but I am at 60% right now. 1h21m of screen time is 20% of 8h4m of total on time.

Polaris cannot be uninstalled or force stopped. Any idea what I have done to make it active? Any idea what this app does? I opened it and it has excel files and PDF files in it that I have viewed. Today is not the first day I have looked at a PDF, but this is the first day I have had Polaris on my battery list. I restarted my phone and it came back on the battery list.

Any idea on why this is all of a sudden a problem app?

Looks like my build number is:
    jss15j.n900aucubmi9
    Is that my OS version?

Samsung asked to update apps yesterday and I was stupid enough to say yes this time, even though I usually ignore those requests.
    Hold down the home button, and tap on Close All, then go to Task Manager and if you see it there, click on "End". Polaris is a Microsoft Office documents app. I know many office apps will remain opened if you view a document. For some reason the apps want to remain opened anticipating that you'll go back and make changes to the document or that you have and haven't saved your work. I think they do this instead of creating a cached version of your document to save on memory. The only problem is then they just remain opened and tax other resources. As long as you're sure the document you just viewed doesn't need to be saved, I say go ahead and end the process.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Polaris office 5 taking lots of battery but I didnt think I had used the app till today.

Its weird. The app has not been a battery hog since that time. I have opened PDFs and Excel documents and it is not showing up in the battery manager. Not going to stress about it. I did try to close all apps, but the polaris was not able to ever be force stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    Its weird. The app has not been a battery hog since that time. I have opened PDFs and Excel documents and it is not showing up in the battery manager. Not going to stress about it. I did try to close all apps, but the polaris was not able to ever be force stopped.
    How do you exit Polaris after viewing a document? Do you use the back or home button? Try going into the menu and look for an exit or quit option. The back and home button are fine if you have a 1 trick pony device like many of those phones with puny processing power COUGHIPHONECOUGH but this is a multicore multitasking beast in your hands. With great power comes great responsibility. ;-P

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

As I understood the app should freeze within a few minutes of not being used. I just use the home button most of the time. I was again playing with polaris and it would not show up on the battery list. No idea why it was on there the other day, but it has not happened again.