Camera Photos Disappearing Galaxy Note 3 HELP!

Tazmaniaq8

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Now this is really weird but I have noticed that my all my camera photos and videos on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 that were saved in the default folder named "Camera" keep disappearing. I have the Android version 4.3 (Jelly Bean) and I tried everything to retrieve them such as looking in the DCIM folder, connecting my phone to my computer and browsing, search using My Files and even contacting Samsung support in live chat but have not had any luck.This has happened for two times now and every time it happens I noticed that the only pictures remain are the ones I took right before everything disappeared.

However, all my other pictures in other folders such as Bluetooth, Download, Instagram, Screenshots, What'sApp...etc. are still there. I'm storing the camera photos on the internal phone memory since I don't have SD card installed. I read somewhere that maybe this is caused by an App conflict or App syncing photos and delete them from the phone but I'm not sure which App this might be since I'm not using Facebook App. I also searched Dumpster to rule out the possibility that I might have mistakenly deleted them but nothing either.

I checked the free internal memory and it's 20GB so it's not full either. Please help I really don't know what to do*

My installed*apps*are:

AllShare Cast Dongle S/W Up
AnDosBox
BBM
Chrome
Dumpster
EverNote
Flipboard
Gmail
Google Play Services
Hangouts
Instagram
Kik
Maps
PhotoGrid
Shazam
SketchBook for Galaxy
Twitter
Viber
WhatsApp
WhoseHere
YouTube

Plus the regular Samsung default*apps.
Phone model number: N9005XXUDMJ7

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Do you have Google+ installed by any chance? Photos can be auto uploaded there if the setting is on. The icon 'photos' is this. However, your pics should also be present in 'gallery'. This has subdivisions, Albums, all, time, locations, people and favorites.
Just check it's on albums, or all, then this should show all of your pics. You say in camera settings the storage is set as 'device', then they really should be in the gallery.
I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I've been through my settings and can't figure out a way they would go somewhere else.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Do you have Google+ installed by any chance? Photos can be auto uploaded there if the setting is on. The icon 'photos' is this. However, your pics should also be present in 'gallery'. This has subdivisions, Albums, all, time, locations, people and favorites.
Just check it's on albums, or all, then this should show all of your pics. You say in camera settings the storage is set as 'device', then they really should be in the gallery.
I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I've been through my settings and can't figure out a way they would go somewhere else.

That's all correct, but even if Google+ instant backup were turned on, it wouldn't be deleting any files....

EDIT: To the OP, until you get this resolved, you may want to enable a photo backup service, such as Dropbox or Google+, so that at least a copy of your pics will be backed up and you don't lose them.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
That's all correct, but even if Google+ instant backup were turned on, it wouldn't be deleting any files....

EDIT: To the OP, until you get this resolved, you may want to enable a photo backup service, such as Dropbox or Google+, so that at least a copy of your pics will be backed up and you don't lose them.

Yep, you're right, that's why it seems odd. Good suggestion to have them synced, that's what I do - I should have advised that too. I'm baffled.

Tazmaniaq8

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your help I truly appreciate. What really baffles me is that I didn't sync my photos with any app that I'm aware of. And I recall disabling Google+ the 1st time this happened but it happened again. It seems as if camera photos are disappearing/deleted after certain period have passed, yet fresh photos remain untouched.

I checked each installed app by Application Manager in the Settings but I couldn't find any apps synced with camera photos. I just installed QuickPic app to manage gallery photos but I don't know if that helps.

Whats really frustrating is that even Samsung Support didn't have any answers and all they said is that this might be caused by app conflict and that I may need to do a factory reset. Why this is happening for camera-taken-photos only and not any other photos on the phone? Will installing SD card and change camera setting to save photos on SD instead of internal help? Thanks again.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I think that would be a good idea - I have an ext SD inserted with camera settings to send them there, and I also sync to dropbox & Google+, I find this arrangement works best for me.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
One last thought, there is an option to hide items in the gallery settings, could it perhaps have something to do with this?

Tazmaniaq8

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Roguetrader. I'll get external SD and change camera settings to save photos there. I don't know what else to do? I'll see if the warranty covers this issue. Please if anybody have had this problem before do let me know since Samsung Support claims that no one has experienced this ever before.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Roguetrader. I'll get external SD and change camera settings to save photos there. I don't know what else to do? I'll see if the warranty covers this issue. Please if anybody have had this problem before do let me know since Samsung Support claims that no one has experienced this ever before.

I've never heard of anyone having this problem but with that being said, it's not impossible...I looked at your list of "installed" apps and you may have already done this but look at the permissions for each of those apps, if any have access to your camera and photos I would remove each app and test them one by one to see if the problem persists... Then reinstall.... But the best suggestion is getting an sd card and let the camera save photos to the sd card...

Posted via Android Central App

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Now this is really weird but I have noticed that my all my camera photos and videos on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 that were saved in the default folder named "Camera" keep disappearing. I have the Android version 4.3 (Jelly Bean) and I tried everything to retrieve them such as looking in the DCIM folder, connecting my phone to my computer and browsing, search using My Files and even contacting Samsung support in live chat but have not had any luck.This has happened for two times now and every time it happens I noticed that the only pictures remain are the ones I took right before everything disappeared.

However, all my other pictures in other folders such as Bluetooth, Download, Instagram, Screenshots, What'sApp...etc. are still there. I'm storing the camera photos on the internal phone memory since I don't have SD card installed. I read somewhere that maybe this is caused by an App conflict or App syncing photos and delete them from the phone but I'm not sure which App this might be since I'm not using Facebook App. I also searched Dumpster to rule out the possibility that I might have mistakenly deleted them but nothing either.

I checked the free internal memory and it's 20GB so it's not full either. Please help I really don't know what to do*

My installed*apps*are:

AllShare Cast Dongle S/W Up
AnDosBox
BBM
Chrome
Dumpster
EverNote
Flipboard
Gmail
Google Play Services
Hangouts
Instagram
Kik
Maps
PhotoGrid
Shazam
SketchBook for Galaxy
Twitter
Viber
WhatsApp
WhoseHere
YouTube

Plus the regular Samsung default*apps.
Phone model number: N9005XXUDMJ7

That is probably cause they are going in the gallery app

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Jed Macaraig

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2 month old galaxy s4. Thought i accidentally deleted them at first though im really sure i did not. Just to move on easily cause i had a lot of pics and then gone in an instant with no back up. But then it happened again. And its really frustrating. I have no back up of all those pics. Or didn't even sync them at any app. So please fix this problem.

Sram73

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have this exact same issue. It has now happened to me 3 times. I thought after the last time that it was my 64Gb SD card that is no longer usable, however this time I don't have an SD card in it. I can't believe Samsung isn't putting something out there on this

Posted via Android Central App

Sunnny77

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue with my Note 2. This issue occurs because either the device memory is low or the default folder is not set correctly. The 4.3 update somehow screws up this setting. Go to My Files> Settings. Set image directory as the folder on your SD card. The pictures should not disappear now. :)