What to do if your phone is stolen?

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Consider Prey. It can work on laptops and other mobile devices you may have. Knock on wood, I haven't had to use it.
Another app you may already have is Lookout.
Alot of the antivirus apps will have some kind of function that helps to find lost phones.

anon(8163701)

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Good day, does resetting your phone to factory reset requires account just like an iphone uses apple id? Hope it does sorry for noob question - new to android

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Factory data reset in recovery doesn't require a password.

Sprint can track the imei if it is used. Though if the theif changed the imei, then even Sprint can't track it

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

anon(8163701)

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Factory data reset in recovery doesn't require a password.

Sprint can track the imei if it is used. Though if the theif changed the imei, then even Sprint can't track it

I see thanks for the info , dont know that since i havent tried to reset my note 3 ... maybe samsung can implement adding a samsung account password before resetting their samsung device

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I see thanks for the info , dont know that since i havent tried to reset my note 3 ... maybe samsung can implement adding a samsung account password before resetting their samsung device

They have, you can find it under settings> security> reactivation lock. If this is checked, your device cannot be reactivated except by a Samsung service centre, and if you have told Samsung it's stolen, you should get it back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They have, you can find it under settings> security> reactivation lock. If this is checked, your device cannot be reactivated except by a Samsung service centre, and if you have told Samsung it's stolen, you should get it back.

That is not an option in my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Perhaps other variants have it though

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
That is not an option in my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Perhaps other variants have it though

I see, yes perhaps that's it - I'm in the UK with an unlocked European model & we have this feature. We don't seem to have the same carrier constraints that you have in the US. Still, Cerberus is an excellent app as others have mentioned, you can control actions via sms.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Two great options:

Android Lost. Don't need to have your GPS on all the time, you can turn it on remotely. Very cool app. I tested it long ago, hope I never have to use it for real.

Tasker. A lot of manual work to set up, and a really steep learning curve, but an amazing app that can do pretty much all of this, and then some.

Echoing zmann, if your phone is just lost, you have a chance. If it's stolen, it's probably not going to be worth it. Most theives turn the phone off and either head for the pawn shop, or the strip shop.

Love the Pulp Fiction reference, but remember, never take a pipe to a gun fight. I agree with zmann - it's not worth the potential risks, both short-term and long-term.

Good luck.

Diver13

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I recommend the WheresMyDroid app. It doesn't matter if your ringer is on or off, if your gps is on or off, it will turn your ringer on to let you know where it is, or send you a google maps link for gps location. You also get a notification if a thief has changed your SIM out.

I've never had to use it in a real scenario, but I've had it on every one of my smart phones. I listed the features below as well as a youtube link.

About Wheres My Droid
The first find your phone app on the Android Market continues to get better and better. Now with more features it is easier then ever to track down your missing phone.

Where's My Droid can turn the ringer volume up and make your phone ring. The app can also get the GPS coordinates with a link to Google maps if you're not near enough to your phone to hear the ringer. You have the freedom to track your phone from anywhere with a text messaged attention word.

Application Features
~ Find phone by making it ring/vibrate
~ Find phone using GPS location
~ Text your attention word
~ Passcode protection to prevent unauthorized app changes
~ Notification of changed SIM card or phone number
~ Stealth Mode hides incoming text with attention word
~ White/Black list to control who can use the app via text
~ No battery drain

Extra Features In Pro
~ Take pictures with the devices camera
~ Remotely lock device
~ Remotely wipe SD card
~ Remotely wipe phone data
~ Use a landline to activate the app
~ Customizable ringtone when lost (Pro or with registration)
Wheres My Droid Android app review - YouTube

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm dealing with this now for my mother. She lost her Galaxy S3 earlier this morning and I found a way to locate it, but can't get a close enough read on it via GPS to recover the phone. The phone has moved significantly from where it was most likely lost, so someone has definitely stolen it. The most irritating part is my mother has been fighting cancer and she's not in the best physical condition to begin with.

For future reference, I suggest using Android Device Manager (I tried Samsung's app and it sat for about 20 minutes trying to locate the device). For some reason I can drill down to the exact house my phone is (it's at my house of course), but my mother's device only gives me a 1 mile radius for its location. This is the last location reported on my mother's stolen phone. Sure would be nice if it drilled down far enough for me to give this piece of garbage some "seasons greetings".

View attachment 97820

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm dealing with this now for my mother. She lost her Galaxy S3 earlier this morning and I found a way to locate it, but can't get a close enough read on it via GPS to recover the phone. The phone has moved significantly from where it was most likely lost, so someone has definitely stolen it. The most irritating part is my mother has been fighting cancer and she's not in the best physical condition to begin with.

For future reference, I suggest using Android Device Manager (I tried Samsung's app and it sat for about 20 minutes trying to locate the device). For some reason I can drill down to the exact house my phone is (it's at my house of course), but my mother's device only gives me a 1 mile radius for its location. This is the last location reported on my mother's stolen phone. Sure would be nice if it drilled down far enough for me to give this piece of garbage some "seasons greetings".

View attachment 97820

Did your mum set up the SIM change alert in security settings? If she did then any new number will be forwarded to the number she selected.
I believe there's an app or two which can be installed retrospectively to locate the device too, sadly I don't know what it's called but I'm sure others might if you make a new posting.
Remember, device manager will only work when Wi-Fi it's switched on - so keep trying.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Did your mum set up the SIM change alert in security settings? If she did then any new number will be forwarded to the number she selected.
I believe there's an app or two which can be installed retrospectively to locate the device too, sadly I don't know what it's called but I'm sure others might if you make a new posting.
Remember, device manager will only work when Wi-Fi it's switched on - so keep trying.

She's not tech savvy enough to initiate that setting. I was actually able to locate my phone right down to the house without wifi, granted this was AFTER I had already engaged Android device manager in the settings. I pushed a few apps to the device through Google's play store, but I think the person that stole the device has already either disabled the device or wiped it. I sure would like 10 minutes in a dark alley with that person....

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
She's not tech savvy enough to initiate that setting. I was actually able to locate my phone right down to the house without wifi, granted this was AFTER I had already engaged Android device manager in the settings. I pushed a few apps to the device through Google's play store, but I think the person that stole the device has already either disabled the device or wiped it. I sure would like 10 minutes in a dark alley with that person....

Android Lost & Lookout are two apps you can install retrospectively to help locate your device. You need a computer & another smartphone , they're in the Play Store & no doubt instructions are there, or head over here http://www.techhive.com/article/250040/how_to_locate_your_unprotected_android_device.html

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Android Lost & Lookout are two apps you can install retrospectively to help locate your device. You need a computer & another smartphone , they're in the Play Store & no doubt instructions are there, or head over here How to Locate Your Unprotected Android Device | TechHive

I've tried pushing a few recovery apps to it. At this point I think whoever stole it has it turned off or has already wiped it.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
For Verizon customers, is the VZ Protect app that's built-in any good?

I saw that it was rated only 3.6 on Google's Play store. I'm personally not real fond of Verizon's bloatware so I didn't even give it a 2nd look. I like some of the features of Google's Android Device Manager. It pinpoints my phone's location right down to the house that it's at, and offers remote wipe and remote lock, which to me is good enough for now.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Probably not what you want to hear, but at this point it's probably going to be more efficient to move on TXGTOU.

You've made very solid efforts to locate the phone, any more investment in resources is less likely to pay off.

Good luck, and sorry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781